• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 te0p

te0p

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 768 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

I am with cheap domains...but they are too expensive...fancy someone calling them selves cheap, being the most pricey...yet also running a company called crazy which is cheap as shit. btw when you call cheap tech suport you get crazy tech support. Anyway... Host papa look OK on paper.. Any thought? Any other reccomendations? Also considering moving my Domain name rego from cheap too... it is a .com.au .. so any one know a cheap reliable one...currently paying $19 a year for a .com.au Sory for posting here... I couldnt identify which forum to put it...and also being a popular subject maybe better placed in here/ Cheers.

#2 orcone

orcone

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 7,610 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:16 PM

Been with webcity.com.au for years. Site's been down for a few hours once, that's it.

#3 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,635 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:37 AM

I realise there is at least one person who works for webcity who frequents these forums, and as much as I hold that person in some regard, webcity's terms and conditions, IMHO are retarded. They lost not only myself who had been with them for years but a few other people whom I had also recommended. Personally, I like Micron21 these days for web hosting. Reliable and faster than webcity with more control via Cpanel for DNS stuff. I use AussieHQ now for domain hosting (Micron21 doesn't offer domain hosting) but haven't used their web hosting services.

Edited by The Tick, 24 February 2012 - 07:37 AM.

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

te0p:"Your a Unreal."

#4 SledgY

SledgY

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 917 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:49 AM

Shesh Aussie based hosting is expensive! I've been using these guys for a while now http://www.intovps.com/ get your own VPS for US$10/month.
poweredbypenguins.org - SledgY lives in the cloud...

#5 Girvo

Girvo

Learner

• Hero
  • 20,575 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

Shesh Aussie based hosting is expensive! I've been using these guys for a while now http://www.intovps.com/ get your own VPS for US$10/month.

Wow, they look really good. I'm trying to find a place to set up my own email setup and ownCloud, and they might fit the bill.
brains: NO U R RONG N00B VISTA IS 4 N00BZ N LINUX IS HIPPIE SHIT

#6 kikz

kikz

Learner

• Hero
  • 19,284 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

http://www.mammothvps.com.au - I worked on the site :)

Our uptime is supreme and our prices are better. Performance is awesome. Though there's a big difference from hosting a website and hosting a VPS, when it comes to price.

We do $10/month VPS too. Although I personally run the Silver plan with windows 2008 server r2 OS ,which is included in the price (free for employees, so price doens't really matter :p)

Edited by kikz, 24 February 2012 - 11:07 AM.

#7 Girvo

Girvo

Learner

• Hero
  • 20,575 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

I have a weird need. I want a VPS that lets me setup Postfix + Dovecot + ownCloud (CalDAV and CardDAV, plus file sync), and has around 40-50Gb of storage for my music and files. More if possible. I don't need a super powerful server though, just lots of space! Any suggestions?

#8 kikz

kikz

Learner

• Hero
  • 19,284 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:06 PM

I have a weird need. I want a VPS that lets me setup Postfix + Dovecot + ownCloud (CalDAV and CardDAV, plus file sync), and has around 40-50Gb of storage for my music and files. More if possible. I don't need a super powerful server though, just lots of space! Any suggestions?

that means nothing to me :p What OS do you want and how much RAM?

#9 Girvo

Girvo

Learner

• Hero
  • 20,575 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

CentOS or Arch or Debian, 256Mb is fine, but I want serious storage space. <3

#10 kikz

kikz

Learner

• Hero
  • 19,284 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

you can get 60GB storage, 256MB ram, 60GB data transfer for $37.95 a month... haha Is it for backup or streaming? cause if streaming, 60GB may not be much transfer...

#11 Girvo

Girvo

Learner

• Hero
  • 20,575 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

Backup, with streaming music files every so often (say, 100mb a day)

#12 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 16,904 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

That's the first VPS mob I've seen that pips Linode for value, too bad they have a blanket "no peer-to-peer software" rule.

#13 mudg3

mudg3

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

I use Name cheap and host gator currently both good services and good prices. I've been reselling their hosting for some time now.
3930K ||Corsair H110 || ASUS Rampage IV ||16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3@1877mhz||ATI 7970||250gb Samsung 840||2x4tb||DELL2711||Corsair 650D|| ASUS Essence STX ||Audio Engine A2's||Aiaiai:TMA-1||Enermax 1050w|| Atomics resident filth

#14 superfireydave

superfireydave

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 11,107 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

That's the first VPS mob I've seen that pips Linode for value, too bad they have a blanket "no peer-to-peer software" rule.

They look like pretty good value.

I've used a few VPS solutions. MediaTemple is by and far the best VPS solution I've used, but it's a little pricey.
I'm currently with ThrustVPS which are really good value for money, but their technical team is a little eh~

#15 sponger

sponger

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 12,142 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

I use and can recommend ARP Networks for VPS hosting. You get console access and can install your own OS. They also have stable support for OpenBSD and FreeBSD. Latency from Australia is better than most US hosts I've dealt with too. Only negative feedback is their support isn't that responsive (they expect you to look after yourself, but even to buy something they can take almost two days to respond).

#16 te0p

te0p

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 768 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for Info.... I am wanting the hosting because i want to build a site for my buisness.

Host papa seems insanely cheap compared to the hosting packages you guys are showing me... is there any reason i should not use host papa? I realise alot of the ones you guys are showing me are VPS hosting...but i dont think i need that?is there any major benefits for someone just wanting to build a Wordpres or Joomla site for there buisnees? I wont be having any sales on there, it will be blogging, photos, linking etc..
http://www.hostpapa....b-hosting-plan/

Also, with host papa... im not sure if they have servers here in Australia. So will this impact the speed people access my site? is it better to have my hosting with a company that has local servers? cause all the local serves seem to be a little more pricey?

Out of the domain hosting for .com.au i think http://www.aussiehq.com.au/ is the best value.

But none really compared on price/value to host papa... i would like to get it....but it seems to good to be true... someone say something negative about it!!! LOL. Mudges name cheap and host gator seem like the only comparable ones in price against host papa...

#17 SledgY

SledgY

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 917 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

They look like pretty good value.

I've used a few VPS solutions. MediaTemple is by and far the best VPS solution I've used, but it's a little pricey.
I'm currently with ThrustVPS which are really good value for money, but their technical team is a little eh~

I used to use MediaTemple but as you said pricey, intovps offer some of the best value I've come across especially for the amount of RAM. I can run a lot of sites stupidly fast with SQLite and a memcache/redis working as a front side cache.

There have been reliable as well as developing one of the most useful DNS debug tools out there intodns.com, which is actually how I found them in the first place...

No peer-to-peer policy is a good thing if you want a servers for doing web hosting.

#18 SledgY

SledgY

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 917 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for Info.... I am wanting the hosting because i want to build a site for my buisness.

Host papa seems insanely cheap compared to the hosting packages you guys are showing me... is there any reason i should not use host papa? I realise alot of the ones you guys are showing me are VPS hosting...but i dont think i need that?is there any major benefits for someone just wanting to build a Wordpres or Joomla site for there buisnees? I wont be having any sales on there, it will be blogging, photos, linking etc..
http://www.hostpapa....b-hosting-plan/

Also, with host papa... im not sure if they have servers here in Australia. So will this impact the speed people access my site? is it better to have my hosting with a company that has local servers? cause all the local serves seem to be a little more pricey?

Out of the domain hosting for .com.au i think http://www.aussiehq.com.au/ is the best value.

But none really compared on price/value to host papa... i would like to get it....but it seems to good to be true... someone say something negative about it!!! LOL. Mudges name cheap and host gator seem like the only comparable ones in price against host papa...

If you are just after a blog hosting site why not use tumblr or wordpress.com. They both allow you to use a custom domain, Tumblr is probably more flexible from the design perspective. Both of those services will take care of all the hosting, monitoring etc for you.

There are many good reasons to use a VPS over a shared hosting service (what you are getting for $5):
  • Security - On shared hosting if one site gets hacked you often find all sites on the same server also get hacked. I have seen this first hand being bought in to clean up an infected site. Turned out that another site on the host got hacked and the attackers then went and infected every site. Nothing is worse than Google indicating to uses that your site hosts malware.
  • Performance - It's much more difficult to share resources on a shared host, if one site owner has poorly written web application it will affect all other sites on the server.
  • Debugging - You don't have root access (or the person bought in to fix your problem) making it much harder to diagnose issues.

My suggestion from what you have described would still be to look at one of the sites mentioned above. A $10-$15 VPS will always be a better option than shared hosting for a business this is a pretty small cost and obviously a tax deductible expense.

#19 timf25

timf25

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 294 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

www.weebly.com is easy to use

Edited by timf25, 28 February 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#20 pookiepony

pookiepony

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 394 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

I use cheap domains for my domains and QIQ for hosting. www.qiq.com.au Works out to be about $70 per year all up for domain + hosting. Would be interesting to know if I can do it cheaper, but as far as service goes I'm happy with what I've got.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users