Photo

Can I install W7 with a different DVD than the original?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 once_i_was_a_maggot

once_i_was_a_maggot

Charge

• Atomican
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

So basically a friend has lost his W7 DVD and wants to know if you can install W7 with his friends DVD but use his own serial key? Both copies are OEM. I'm not sure it will work, but thought you guys would know. Cheers
Now I'm a super fly!

#2 A Hitman

A Hitman

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:40 AM

Hmm, it really depends on the OEM disk, it "might" work. Really he is better off finding someone who has a retail Win7 disk, but there is no harm in trying I guess.
not working is hard work

#3 chrisbrownie

chrisbrownie

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 4,227 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:11 AM

Just contact the OEM and get a replacement

#4 aliali

aliali

Learner

• Super Hero
  • 23,546 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:42 AM

Yes you can. Or you could download the relevant ISO and burn it to disk by going to http://www.mydigital...download-links/

MyDigitalLife is a Microsoft web store front so the downloads are legit and clean.
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

#5 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

Yes you can. Or you could download the relevant ISO and burn it to disk by going to http://www.mydigital...download-links/

MyDigitalLife is a Microsoft web store front so the downloads are legit and clean.

Yeah, I used one of those ISOs because stupid laptop supplier didn't supply a DVD ... all good
Resident KatyCat Smartphone: HTC Trophy T8686 - WP 7.10.8107.79 (aka Mango updated) Netbook: ASUS EEE PC 1015PN - Win7 Pro, Intel N550@1.5Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB WD SATA, nVidia ION2 Laptop: Win8 Home x64, Intel i5-430 @ 2.26Ghz, 4GB RAM, 240GB Corsair SSD, nVidia Geforce GT310 1GB Work PC: Win7 Pro x86, Intel Q9550@2.83Ghz, 4GB RAM, 2 x 250GB SATA, nVidia Quadro FX1700, 600W PSU

#6 smadge1

smadge1

Learner

• Atomican
  • 25,231 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

Do you have to use a disc that's the same SP level as the one the key was issued with? or was that just a Vista issue?
Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#7 once_i_was_a_maggot

once_i_was_a_maggot

Charge

• Atomican
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I've burnt an ISO to disc as a backup plan.
Now I'm a super fly!

#8 aliali

aliali

Learner

• Super Hero
  • 23,546 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:55 AM

Yeah, I used one of those ISOs because stupid laptop supplier didn't supply a DVD ... all good

Brand name computers both Laptop and Desktop now contain software to make your own recovery media.
When first setting up the PC this software will continually remind you that you have not created the recovery DVDs.
:P
Note I personally don't make the recovery media. I wipe the HDD, including removing the recovery partition and then do my own vanilla OS install so I don't have all the OEM crap the seem to include.
But that's for personal laptops only.

Do you have to use a disc that's the same SP level as the one the key was issued with? or was that just a Vista issue?

XP had the same in some instances, where an SP3 CD would not work with some pre-SP1 serials.
I have done one SP1 install with a pre SP1 serial on Win 7 and it worked fine.
Nice not to have to do SP updates post install.
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

#9 once_i_was_a_maggot

once_i_was_a_maggot

Charge

• Atomican
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:38 PM

I used the ISO. Worked like a charm. Thanks aliali
Now I'm a super fly!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users