• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zzozzach

Zzozzach

Charge

• Atomican
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

My daughter bought a new screen for her MacBook, a Dell Ultrasharp based on advice I got here about a year ago. It's connected via DVI into a genuine DVI-to-Mini-Displayport adapter. It isn't quite behaving as expected, though. Using the keyboard control Command + F1 she can cycle through mirroring the desktop (uses laptop panel's resolution & looks crap on the external) or extending it (external uses native resolution and looks great but apps must be dragged over). What does she need to do to make the external one the primary and not use the laptop panel? I can't find any settings or configurations, but I'm not overly familiar with OSX.
The poster formerly known as Chazzozz. * Still an enthusiastic Opera user. Try it, you'll like it: http://www.opera.com/download/ * I love torrenting MAME and Pinball emulators. One day I may even use the software.

#2 komuso

komuso

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

Either enable mirroring, or just close the laptop. It will probably go into sleep mode, and when you wake it back up from the mouse or external keyboard, the external monitor will become the primary.

#3 siegfried

siegfried

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

Alternatively, when it is extended mode you can go to: Apple Menu > Settings > Displays > Arrangement. Then you just drag the little white bar to the box representing the screen you want.

Edited by siegfried, 01 March 2012 - 04:40 PM.

Acting is the most minor of gifts and not a very high-class way to earn a living. After all, Shirley Temple could do it at the age of four. - Katharine Hepburn

#4 komuso

komuso

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

I never knew that! Thanks!

#5 Zzozzach

Zzozzach

Charge

• Atomican
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

Alternatively, when it is extended mode you can go to:

Apple Menu > Settings > Displays > Arrangement. Then you just drag the little white bar to the box representing the screen you want.

Excellent, that was the last ingredient for the Secret Sauce. She'd done the 'Detect Display' process but didn't know where to go next.

She's real happy with the screen now. The Dell Ultrasharps seem to be a super performer, at considerably less cost than an Apple Cinema Display.
The poster formerly known as Chazzozz. * Still an enthusiastic Opera user. Try it, you'll like it: http://www.opera.com/download/ * I love torrenting MAME and Pinball emulators. One day I may even use the software.

#6 siegfried

siegfried

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

Glad to hear it's all set up nicely now. Dell seem to make some decent screens, at reasonable prices. I agree that Apple's screens are priced quite high, though they are pretty good.
Acting is the most minor of gifts and not a very high-class way to earn a living. After all, Shirley Temple could do it at the age of four. - Katharine Hepburn

#7 Zzozzach

Zzozzach

Charge

• Atomican
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

Glad to hear it's all set up nicely now. Dell seem to make some decent screens, at reasonable prices. I agree that Apple's screens are priced quite high, though they are pretty good.

Yes, pricing is very good. On top of that, if you're a member of any motoring club in Australia you can enjoy up to 15% off the full price of most monitors. Simply because I'm an RACQ member that meant I could purchase a 23" Ultrasharp for only $228. (Note that if they've got a current promotion which gives you better pricing then the motoring club discount won't apply.)

That's a thin slice of fried gold right there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users