• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bastion308

bastion308

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

Ive been looking for a replacement for playback of media file to tv currently ive just got a hdd hooked up to the tv which worked fine for a while (ive got a samsung led series 8) the main issue is it dosent have a lot of file support and since theres been no firmware updates im stuck with a heap of files i cant play with no sound and thought a media player might be the go.
I had a Tivx which was good but let down buy no updates and is now broken.

So ive found these which look good Popcorn hour c300

So my question is what are others using and does anyone have one of these.

#2 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 23,567 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

I had a Tivx which was good but let down buy no updates

Really? I actually found Tvix to be ok with their updates, on newer models at least. At least on a par with other media players I have come across, and in most cases better.
With any media player you have to remember that if it started life as an SD only model a firmware upgrade is generally not possible to play back HD content due to processor limitations.

However even with updates I was coming across odd formats my Tvix wouldn't play. Rather than frigging around triple checking I was getting a supported file I just moved to using an HTPC, which while more fiddly to use at least allows for easy codec upgrades for format compatibility.
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

#3 MoshVandal

MoshVandal

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

I use a 1st gen Apple TV with Boxee (and XBMC) installed, streaming off network shares from my main PC, but can also take USB connected HDD's. Works a treat.

If you like Boxee, you can always the the dedicated Boxee box, I've seen one in operation, and if this @TV didn't already serve me perfectly fine, I'd be looking a one of these.
Some people are like Slinkies, Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face, When you push them down a flight of stairs.

#4 NukeJockey

NukeJockey

Titan

• Hero
  • 23,615 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

Can you stream straight to the TV from your PC? If so, grab PS3 Media Server, it should work with any DLNA device (It works on my galaxy S2) and essentially just transcodes videos on the fly to a format where the device they're streaming to can read them.
My Rig: ASUS P67 Sabretooth | i5 2500k w/ Corsair H80 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaw-X 1866mhz | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X| NZXT Phantom | Corsair HX850

#5 bastion308

bastion308

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

[quote name='NukeJockey' date='Mar 6 2012, 01:54 PM' post='969184']
Can you stream straight to the TV from your PC? If so, grab PS3 Media Server, it should work with any DLNA device (It works on my galaxy S2) and essentially just transcodes videos on the fly to a format where the device they're streaming to can read them.
[/quote

Will give it a go

#6 bastion308

bastion308

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

Thank you Nukejockey ps3 media server works great saved me time and cash

#7 NukeJockey

NukeJockey

Titan

• Hero
  • 23,615 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

No problems, I use it myself, great program.
My Rig: ASUS P67 Sabretooth | i5 2500k w/ Corsair H80 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaw-X 1866mhz | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X| NZXT Phantom | Corsair HX850

#8 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 11,935 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

And if you are bored and willing to 'risk it'.

http://www.samygo.tv/

Worth looking at, just for geek cred.

AD
I can make my own woggle! Bet you can't woggle yours.

#9 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 37,761 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

We've got the PCH a200 no probs at all.

"The most powerful tool in the hand of the opressor is the mind of the opressed."-- Steve Biko

#10 bastion308

bastion308

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

Well I ended up getting one and its great put a3tb hdd in and have had no issues easy to setup and plays everything I throw at it. The tivx I had worked fine for about a year then I had to keep recoding files it was an older model the m3000u and yeah I didnt find a lot of support for it. PS3 media server appered to work fine untill id get halfway through a movie and it would freeze looked for a fix and did all the suggestions but none worked cracked the sads and gave up. the samygo stuff looks interesting but Im not going to risk bricking a $3500 tv :)

#11 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 23,567 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

Well I ended up getting one and its great put a3tb hdd in and have had no issues easy to setup and plays everything I throw at it.

The tivx I had worked fine for about a year then I had to keep recoding files it was an older model the m3000u and yeah I didnt find a lot of support for it.

PS3 media server appered to work fine untill id get halfway through a movie and it would freeze looked for a fix and did all the suggestions but none worked cracked the sads and gave up.

the samygo stuff looks interesting but Im not going to risk bricking a $3500 tv :)

So what did you actually get?

As for the PS3 Media server thing. I have found freezing when streaming via Windows Media Centre from another PC is generally caused by the stupid PC deciding to go to sleep, despite the media streaming activity.
Grrrrrr.
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

#12 bastion308

bastion308

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

Well I ended up getting one and its great put a3tb hdd in and have had no issues easy to setup and plays everything I throw at it.

The tivx I had worked fine for about a year then I had to keep recoding files it was an older model the m3000u and yeah I didnt find a lot of support for it.

PS3 media server appered to work fine untill id get halfway through a movie and it would freeze looked for a fix and did all the suggestions but none worked cracked the sads and gave up.

the samygo stuff looks interesting but Im not going to risk bricking a $3500 tv :)

So what did you actually get?

As for the PS3 Media server thing. I have found freezing when streaming via Windows Media Centre from another PC is generally caused by the stupid PC deciding to go to sleep, despite the media streaming activity.
Grrrrrr.

I brought the Pch c-300 and I thought the PC was going to sleep as well but it kept happening even with it set to always on

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users