• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Ringers

Ringers

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 842 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

HI All, I am after some good quality headphones, can anyone reccomend a model\brand and perhaps a good web site? Thanks

#2 fajw

fajw

Useless waste of 0s and 1s

• Banned
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

Headphonic

#3 PointZeroOne

PointZeroOne

Crash Test Dummy

• Atomican
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

I've heard good things about this website http://headphones.com.au/

And depending on where you are located there might be shops around that you can go try out headphones with your own music.

AzpUvwG.png - @PointZeroOne
psn.png - PointZeroOne-AI

icon_steam.gif - PointZeroOne

#4 Caelum

Caelum

Learner

• Hero
  • 16,997 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

What is your budget? I could suggest some really great headphones, but if they're priced upwards of $2000, and you don't want to spend even $200, there's not much point... Check out headphonic though... Realistically, they'll have all the information you need.
6hax

#5 Ringers

Ringers

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 842 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

I was thinking a couple of hundred.

#6 Juggs

Juggs

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 856 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

I have 2 pairs of these

Fkn brilliant. Dunno if they are still easily available in stores tho, mine are a year or two old.

I find them great for travelling, they provide awesome isolation and they dont bother others.

I find them equally great for recording as they provide amazing reproduction of the source material without adding bass, or otherwise modifying the sound.

The only downside is that if you're listening to downloaded mp3s, you will easily pick out the flaws in low/bad compression and the music will sound horrible. Of course, you're ripping your own cds to create high quality copies s this shouldnt be a problem.

I bought both pairs for around the 120 mark (each). Best bang for buck ever.

Edited by Juggs, 08 March 2012 - 11:56 AM.

Keep wishing you were me, and I'll keep making you have to.

#7 bowiee

bowiee

Apprentice

• Hero
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

For gaming or music ? For gaming you cannot go past these, Razer Megalodon 7.1 Gaming Headset Internet Price: $175.00

For music for around two hundred I would recommend Sennheiser, something like these. SENNHEISER HIGH END COLLAPSIBLE STEREO HEADPHONE $199.00

#8 Ringers

Ringers

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 842 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

sorry should have said at start mainly for music.

#9 Caelum

Caelum

Learner

• Hero
  • 16,997 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

For gaming or music ? For gaming you cannot go past these, Razer Megalodon 7.1 Gaming Headset Internet Price: $175.00

For music for around two hundred I would recommend Sennheiser, something like these. SENNHEISER HIGH END COLLAPSIBLE STEREO HEADPHONE $199.00

Two strikes...

Care to try again?
6hax

#10 stuub27

stuub27

Charge

• Atomican
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

I can vouch for the Sennheisers- just got a pair last week. They add a bit of bass, so changed settings on my Cowon X7...but basically have been great so far. I mean, for the money (I got them for $167 from Addicted to Audio) I think they are good...for me, they replace a pair of Shure SRH440's.

Of course, this all depends- are you looking for headphones for home use, or on-the-go? If you aren't travelling with them, I wouldn't bother with those particular Sennheisers. Main reason I got them is for superior portability...
I keep on buying but the hole still grows...

#11 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 20,116 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

Best bang for buck is the Alessandro MS-1. The next step up would be a pair of AKG K540's, I got mine delivered from the US for $100, but that deal seems to have gone.

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.” - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#12 Caelum

Caelum

Learner

• Hero
  • 16,997 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

For the price it is difficult to go past the AD900's... Easy to drive, sounds great, reasonable price.
6hax

#13 bowiee

bowiee

Apprentice

• Hero
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

Two strikes...

Care to try again?

Says you, however we all bow down before your vast intelligence. After all "Two strikes" is such an informative post.

#14 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 20,116 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

I've never heard a good 'surround sound' headphone. They're usually just mediocre stereo headphones with Dolby Headphone enabled. The ones that do sound decent tend to be priced higher than they're worth. Same goes with Sennheiser, overpriced for what you get (although there are some exceptions).

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.” - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#15 bowiee

bowiee

Apprentice

• Hero
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

I've never heard a good 'surround sound' headphone. They're usually just mediocre stereo headphones with Dolby Headphone enabled. The ones that do sound decent tend to be priced higher than they're worth. Same goes with Sennheiser, overpriced for what you get (although there are some exceptions).

Then you need to try the Megalodon, in games they are truly great allowing you to pinpoint an enemy with ease. As for Sennheiser yes they do cost but IMHO the quality of sound is worth it, maybe there are cheaper alternatives out there but to try them all is a head spin. So I would rather go with what I know to be good. :)

#16 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 20,116 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

There's no point recommending something just because of the brand.

#17 Caelum

Caelum

Learner

• Hero
  • 16,997 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

Sorry, Bowiee... You may as well have suggested Bose, Sony, or Technics as the above suggestions. Definitions of what is 'good' differ between people. Obviously we have a difference of opinion, based on my experience.
6hax

#18 bowiee

bowiee

Apprentice

• Hero
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

There's no point recommending something just because of the brand.

Actually sometimes that is reason enough, however headphones can be a very personal choice and anything we recommend here may, to the OP's hearing, sound like shit. All we can do in that case is recommend based on experience, and hope that the OP can try before buying at places like JB's.

Sorry, Bowiee...

You may as well have suggested Bose, Sony, or Technics as the above suggestions.

Definitions of what is 'good' differ between people. Obviously we have a difference of opinion, based on my experience.

Yep we sure do. ;)

#19 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 20,116 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

Actually sometimes that is reason enough, however headphones can be a very personal choice and anything we recommend here may, to the OP's hearing, sound like shit. All we can do in that case is recommend based on experience, and hope that the OP can try before buying at places like JB's.

It's never reason enough with headphones. Even the better brands put out crap sometimes.

#20 Caelum

Caelum

Learner

• Hero
  • 16,997 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

And the definition of better brands usually doesn't equal the more commonly known brands. Most wouldn't know who Martin Logan is... Or even what an electrostatic speaker is... But you don't see Sony releasing any ES speakers ;)
6hax

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users