• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MasterShrive

MasterShrive

Titan

• Quark
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

I currently have a 600GB Velociraptor, but this is fast filling up and I only have a few tens of gig left. I could uninstall some games and thus free up some room, but I like to leave things installed. I also don't have any movies or music of consequence that take up any room (they are on the HTPC). Therefore, I am at the point where I need to upgrade.

I was looking at getting one of these: http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=18515 but I don't have any spare PCI-E slots on the motherboard.

I do want to get a hybrid drive, though. So I was wondering if people had any suggestions on a SATA hybrid drive to go with (I don't presently have SATA 3, though, and so I am aware I won't get the full benefits; I'm also aware that a SSD by itself would be quicker, but I'm not doing a reinstall of Windows etc. and I just want to keep everything on the same drive). The best I can find on a quick search is this: http://www.techbuy.c.../ST750LX003.asp though I was hoping to go a little bit larger as that only gains me 150GB or so.

So, if I do get a hybrid drive, would there be any issues in cloning across my current HDD using software such as Acronis True Image? Would having an SSD as part of the drive cause issues?

Cheers,

~MS.
www.rtdclan.net

#2 Caelum

Caelum

Learner

• Hero
  • 16,997 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

Answer to all above: No.
6hax

#3 MasterShrive

MasterShrive

Titan

• Quark
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

Cheers. Someone also suggested that I use a separate SSD for caching purposes and just purchase a 1TB HDD for everything else. Can this be set up on a EVGA X58 FTW3 motherboard?
www.rtdclan.net

#4 Caelum

Caelum

Learner

• Hero
  • 16,997 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

Probably, i wouldn't though. I suggest you do what i did.... Toughen up, buy a real SSD, reinstall windows, throw all your games/etc onto a larger (say 2TB) drive and just move them across to the SSD if you actually find that you're lacking performance. I know that my 2TB drive doesn't cause any issues with load times/etc... but your mileage my vary...
6hax

#5 aliali

aliali

Learner

• Super Hero
  • 23,546 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:08 AM

Cheers.

Someone also suggested that I use a separate SSD for caching purposes and just purchase a 1TB HDD for everything else. Can this be set up on a EVGA X58 FTW3 motherboard?

As far as I am aware the X58 does not support intels SRT http://en.wikipedia....onse_Technology it is available on the Z68 chipset only.
So for a caching SSD you are limited to the OCZ Synapse drives
http://www.ocztechno...-solutions.html
I am the opposite of Cae, I don't like the size limitations and associated hassles ( moving personal docs to the spinner etc) with using small SSDs as the OS install drive (unless you have a shitload of cash for a big SSD), plus I am still a bit suspicious of SSD longevity.
As far as the Momentus drives go I had one in my desktop and didn't notice a lot of difference over the normal HDD (had the ST95005620AS 4Gb cache one). On the laptop it seems more effective, partly due to the jump from a 5400RPM to 7200RPm drive.
On the PC I am now using the OCZ Synapse 64gb drive http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=18864

So far I am damn happy with it, perhaps not as fast as a pure SSD boot solution but a lot lot better than the pure spinner boot solution.
The Synapse can be used with any mobo and any CPU so gives flexibility but it does only cache stuff on the boot drive, but interestingly seems to do it on all partitions on the boot drive. At least during setup the Dataplex software only gives you the option of the whole boot drive.
Another advantage for me is that no cloning/reinstall of the OS is needed. Fit the SSD, boot as per normal, install and register the Dataplex software (needs an internet connection for activation), set it up and bam done.
Once set up the SSD totally disappears from device manager and disk management.

Not that only half the SSDs total size is used for caching so the 64Gb gives me 32Gb of caching and the 128Gb uses 64Gb for caching. OCZ says
"The 50% NAND overprovisioning used on all Synapse models (translating into 32GB and 64GB cache capacities) is maintained as a performance feature to increase the lifespan of the drive, and accommodate the writing of "hot" user data."
So that's their reasoning.

Also while playing around and fiddling with things I found out the following.

If you boot without the SSD attached the Dataplex software detects the lack of the cache drive and works around it, giving you a normal boot after it sorts itself out.
If you clone your boot drive it complains about the change in boot drive and you need to uninstall the software then reinstall (need to be connected to the net for de-activation and reactivation of the software).
If you have a failed boot that stuffs u the cache the Dataplex software rebuilds the cache and sorts itself out.
Overall the software seems to be fairly clever about sorting problems out.

Final thoughts.
Is a pure caching SSD worth it?
For me that is a definite yes. I get a slightly faster boot, and more importantly IMO a much faster login (startup programmes load almost instantly) and when in windows programmes installed to the boot drive launch a whole lot quicker.
Would I do it again? Yes definitely, unless big (250gb plus, 500Gb even better) SSDs become a lot cheaper and I feel their reliability and lifespan has improved, then I would go pure SSD boot drive (and reinstall windows etc to make the best use of it).

Why such a big SSD? Because I just can't see the point of one if I have to move personal docs, temp folders, game installs etc to a spinner HDD because of lack of space. To me that defeats the purpose of a fast SSD where stuff that can take advantage of the speed have to be moved off the SSD. Sure super duper quick boots are nice but fuck I normally only boo t the PC once a day.

Would love to try the OCZ RevoDrive Hybrid 1TB HDD with 100GB SSD but the price is just to high and not sure how it would go in my spare PCI-E X16 slot (PCI-E x1 slots are either in use or blanked by the VGA card cooler).
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

#6 Dasa

Dasa

Apprentice

• Super Hero
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

for a ssd i would go with somthing like this OCZ Synapse Cache 128GB $255 Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 $145 slow seeks but the ssd cache should help with this and the high read speads from the 1tb platter on this drive should help or purchase multiple OCZ Agility 3 240G $319 or two 480 $699ea and split the files amungst them
2600k@4.8GHz 1.38v - Z77-GENE - 2x4g 1600 8-9-8 - 7970 1150\7000MHz 1.15v - OCZ Synapse 120g Seagate 2tb - Seasonic XP1000 - Dell U2711 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Storm G5 - MCW60 - EK-VGA HF - MCP355 XSPC Restop - PA120.4 - Scythe GT 4x120 1440/1850rpm http://i3.photobucke...sa09/z77rog.jpg

#7 MasterShrive

MasterShrive

Titan

• Quark
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for that advice guys. Very, very useful (especially the installation of the software after I clone).

I was thinking about this over night, and I would like to have the speed of PCI-E for the cache drive, if possible. So can I use something like this as the cache: http://www.ocztechno...xpress-ssd.html and still get that software from OCZ?

Edited by MasterShrive, 11 March 2012 - 10:37 AM.

www.rtdclan.net

#8 Dasa

Dasa

Apprentice

• Super Hero
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

the synapse software only works on the drive that has windows installed unfortunately and it also only works with there three ssd made for caching

this is the third on the up side the ssd part is faster but the hdd is only 5400rpm so its rather slow for anything that isnt in the cache
OCZ RevoDrive Hybrid 1TB HDD with 100GB SSD $525
http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=18515

the ideal setup for me would be a 64-128g ssd for windows and a pci-e cache attached to a 4tb 7200rpm hdd but at the moment there is three things that make this impossible
2600k@4.8GHz 1.38v - Z77-GENE - 2x4g 1600 8-9-8 - 7970 1150\7000MHz 1.15v - OCZ Synapse 120g Seagate 2tb - Seasonic XP1000 - Dell U2711 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Storm G5 - MCW60 - EK-VGA HF - MCP355 XSPC Restop - PA120.4 - Scythe GT 4x120 1440/1850rpm http://i3.photobucke...sa09/z77rog.jpg

#9 MasterShrive

MasterShrive

Titan

• Quark
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:08 AM

So could I install the Dataplex cache software on the HDD (which will have everything installed on it)? As I did find the company have their own website (nvelo.com) but I am not sure what the software would be worth. I did look in to that hybrid drive as well, but in the end I thought that has less upgrade options for the future. Two separate drives would have better flexibility, but by the looks I would be sacrificing performance by using SATA III.
www.rtdclan.net

#10 aliali

aliali

Learner

• Super Hero
  • 23,546 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:23 PM

So could I install the Dataplex cache software on the HDD (which will have everything installed on it)? As I did find the company have their own website (nvelo.com) but I am not sure what the software would be worth.

I did look in to that hybrid drive as well, but in the end I thought that has less upgrade options for the future. Two separate drives would have better flexibility, but by the looks I would be sacrificing performance by using SATA III.

Their software is not available to the general public.
If you are a PC OEM or SSD Vendor and are interested in using Dataplex with your products, please contact us at: info@nvelo.com
Down the bottom right of http://nvelo.com/products.html
So you will probably need a few mill in your pocket to get an OEM or vendor licence, or something equally out of the realms of the general user.
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

#11 MasterShrive

MasterShrive

Titan

• Quark
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

Yeah, I thought that might be the case. Looks like I will stick with a two drive solution and I'll use the SSD as a cache drive. Thanks greatly for your help.
www.rtdclan.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users