• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#81 Caelum

Caelum

Learner

• Hero
  • 16,997 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

What the fuck? I haven't asked you to leave. Due to your lies and bullshit, now i am asking you to leave though. Jesus christ. Sorry Tick.. Had to be said.
6hax

#82 bushi

bushi

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 9,643 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:19 AM

Fark another wall of text! I'm bored, but I'm not quite bored enough to even bother with that drivel.
http://bfbc2.statsve...pc/squatter.png i7 875k | Intel DP55KG | 6GB G-Skill Pi | Inno3D GTX580 1GB | 120GB Intel 520 + 1.5TB (+ 1.5TB backup) Seagate | Pioneer BDR-206BK | Auzentech Prelude 7.1 | Hauppauge 2200 PVR | Corsair AX750 | Silverstone FT-02BW

#83 Devilsmurf

Devilsmurf

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

It should get POTM for so much LOL's. But it is sad when someone gets sand in their vagina and feels like they should take their ball and go home...for all of 1/5 of a second.

#84 twitchymocha

twitchymocha

Immortal

• Quark
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

Holy hell, what a great read this is. I've had my PSU fan facing down ever since they were top-mounted; I'm sure if it was THAT important then manufacturers would communicate it clearer. There's an air gap underneath, I'm sure the unit can breathe well enough. Never had it overheat. Besides, I don't want crap falling into my PSU through a fan grille... be it a GPU sticker like a bloke in this thread, tiny dust bunnies or a beer I hopefully never spill through the top outtake of my P183. *touches wood*

#85 fredzfrog

fredzfrog

Apprentice

• Hero
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

Like I said, many ignorant posts from ametuer builders. And still, no one has yet to mention a PSU overheating from being placed fan down in a case without holes on the bottom. All insults aside, I believe I've proven my point.

And Caelum is obviously an egomaniac who feels that the few times people have agreed with him are necessary to have in his signature. :-)

Specific situation? No. My psu overheated and shut down when the fan in it died. Great ventilation around it, but without airflow, would heat up. Coolermaster psu.
Worked better when i strapped a fan to it.

No incoming airflow, no working psu. I believe I've proven my point.

Sorry tick, i tryd reading through first, but was getting fustrated by WOT's. Lol
Increases your chance of love by 75.3%

#86 TinBane

TinBane

Super Hero

• Mod
  • 21,396 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

kb/s is a realistic benchmark of actual download speed in that I'm truly downloading so many kilobytes every second - which will equate to megabytes, and eventually gigabytes and terabytes. Those same numbers are used for my storage drives and every file size in the world. So I can do the math in my head to figure out how long a download will take when seeing file size. I know which file sizes will fit on my hard drives and which won't. This system makes sense and is easy for me to understand, because it all ties together. In the old days, a 7 GB modem told me that it was capable of transferring 7 GB of data over an hour. That's simple for me to understand and again, it all ties together. Obviously modems are much faster now, but that was an example from a decade ago.

I can't do the same with Mbps, as it's not an accurate way of telling me how much actual data I'm downloading per second, per minute, or per hour. Can anyone honestly say that they can translate Mbps into actual download time with various file sizes in their head? To do the math I need a calculator (maybe I'm special that way). I have to convert Mbps to bytes and then back to kbs, in order to understand how much data is actually being transferred and at what speed.

So laugh all you want. Using Mbps for a measurement of data transfer speeds is nothing more than a complicated system of doing what browsers, modems, and ISPs have done for years simply - in my humble opinion. :-)

Here's some help for those who don't understand, or would like to learn more about Mbps:

http://www.wisegeek....hat-is-mbps.htm

On a side note, you can't work out how fast a file will download based on your connection speed... ever.

If you have an 8Mbit connection, it doesn't include any overheads at all. It's the absolute peak data that can be transferred.
This is almost exactly the opposite to having a protocol that allows speed-up of data transfer by compression or something similar such as rsync.

In effect the overheads equate to more data that must be communicated (that aren't part of the data you are downloading).
On top of which, the quality of the CDN you are downloading from will have a massive impact on the speed you can download a file 8MBit or not.
After all, how many ADSL2 users who can theoretically transfer much higher than 1MBps get that speed routinely? Maybe when the CDN has files cached locally or within your ISP.
Romans 10:3 absit iniuria verbis

#87 bowiee

bowiee

Apprentice

• Hero
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

But as consolation to you, we've retired our computer businesses and I won't be posting here much anymore. Rest in peace! :-)

Don't forget this comment, so I doubt he will reply. I have my own theory as to the fate of his computer business. ;)

#88 Dasa

Dasa

Apprentice

• Super Hero
  • 14,189 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

ok how about a bit of common sense something this thread seems to have been short on psu fan facing down in a case with a very small or no gap in the bottom will reduce airflow to the psu and increase its temps making its fan spin faster and create more noise than it would with clearer access to air the pc will often work fine as the fan will still create some air turbulence and air can still move via convection in and out the rear of the psu keeping a psu cool enough if it is efficient and overkill for the intended pc's power requirements but may shorten the life of the psu depending on its environment and how much load its under high quality psu are made to operate with a air temp of 50c when at 100% load and many of the corsair\seasonic psu can handle higher than there rated load a ~650w corsair ax\seasonic x would probably be able to keep running a 2500k gtx680 system even if its fan died as the system under load would be drawing much less than half what the psu can handle having the psu fan facing down even in a case with air vents in the bottom may not be good if it has small feat and is sat on soft carpet or the case has no bottom dust filter or the dust filter is never cleaned so I would only use it if the owner understood this the optimal way to build a system with a bottom mounted psu is normally with it facing up as there isnt any down sides assuming it doesn’t have something internal blocking the psu fan when facing up as for positive pressure and such for some reason most cases by default have negative pressure but its not strong enough to adversely affect a psu fan in a significant way negative pressure down sides dust comes in threw every gap negating the benefit of fan filters assuming the case has any with a psu that has its fan off when its not under much load will mean that the slightly warm air from the psu will be pulled into the case regardless of what way up its mounted fans trying to exhaust air from the case psu\gpu will have to work a tiny amount harder to move the same amount of air but most cases have so many gaps the pressure difference is unlikely to make a noticeable difference
2600k@4.8GHz 1.38v - Z77-GENE - 2x4g 1600 8-9-8 - 7970 1150\7000MHz 1.15v - OCZ Synapse 120g Seagate 2tb - Seasonic XP1000 - Dell U2711 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Storm G5 - MCW60 - EK-VGA HF - MCP355 XSPC Restop - PA120.4 - Scythe GT 4x120 1440/1850rpm http://i3.photobucke...sa09/z77rog.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users