• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 slimdog360

slimdog360

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

Curious to see if anyone has been testing btrfs lately? I'm thinking about setting up a new arch build using btrfs. Just wondering how stable it is yet.

I for one welcome our new chicken overlord.

#2 pwarren

pwarren

Charge

• Atomican
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

I've not looked into it lately, but reading the wikipedia article, it reminds me of why I've not worried about it yet. BTRFS seems to still be lacking 2 important feature (for me) fsck and Parity RAID (RAID 5 and 6) While it is cool technology, IMHO, it's still at the "technology preview" level, and not at all ready for any data you care about, might be useful to play around with it and learn though. Edit: My recommendations remain: OpenIndiana with ZFS, or linux with software RAID 5 and XFS

Edited by pwarren, 15 March 2012 - 08:47 AM.

++++++++++[>++++++++>+++++++++>++++++++++>+++>+++++++++++>++++>+<<<<<<<-]>++++.>+++++++.>+++++++.------.>++.<<.>>.<-.>>+++++++.<<+++++++++.>>-----.>++++.<<.<-------.-..+++++++.>.<<+.>-------.>>++++..<<.>>--.>>.

#3 Xen

Xen

Charge

• Atomican
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

I've not looked into it lately, but reading the wikipedia article, it reminds me of why I've not worried about it yet.

BTRFS seems to still be lacking 2 important feature (for me)

fsck

and

Parity RAID (RAID 5 and 6)

While it is cool technology, IMHO, it's still at the "technology preview" level, and not at all ready for any data you care about, might be useful to play around with it and learn though.

Edit: My recommendations remain: OpenIndiana with ZFS, or linux with software RAID 5 and XFS

fsck is a biggie with me, i tried the crap btrfs tool but it didn't cut it.

I'd love to see ZFS ported to linux... stupid licences.
如诸佛尽寿不杀生, 我亦尽寿不杀生 如诸佛尽寿不偷盗, 我亦尽寿不偷盗 如诸佛尽寿不妄语, 我某甲亦尽寿不妄语

#4 Betzie

Betzie

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 9,146 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

I've not looked into it lately, but reading the wikipedia article, it reminds me of why I've not worried about it yet.

fsck

and

While it is cool technology, IMHO, it's still at the "technology preview" level, and not at all ready for any data you care about, might be useful to play around with it and learn though.

Edit: My recommendations remain: OpenIndiana with ZFS, or linux with software RAID 5 and XFS

ZFS v28 is now native in Linux

Cognitive Hazard 

#5 SledgY

SledgY

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 917 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

fsck

and

More info here! http://zfsonlinux.org/
poweredbypenguins.org - SledgY lives in the cloud...

#6 slimdog360

slimdog360

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

fsck

and

More info here! http://zfsonlinux.org/

Please keep in mind the current 0.5.2 stable release does not yet support a mountable filesystem. This functionality is currently available only in the 0.6.0-rc6 release candidate.

Looks cool, but they'll always be behind I recon. I played around a fair bit with ZFS on opensolaris, then when that all went pair shaped I jumped ship. It was a bummer to as I was really liking playing around with zfs and dtrace.

I was hoping btrfs could be a replacement, but yeah you guys are right, it's not there yet. Give it a couple of years. I think I'll stick to ext4 for a while and play with something else.

#7 nobody813

nobody813

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 6,438 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - Benchmarking All The Linux File-Systems

Funny that this came out today haha

"Nobody, including Nobody, knows what Nobody is doing..." - millen

Intel Core i5 2500K | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 460 | Cogage Arrow | 120GB Intel 520 | 2TB & 1TB Seagate 7200.14's | Corsair HX-650W | Fractal Design Arc Midi

#8 slimdog360

slimdog360

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

Just having a better look at openindiana and thinking I'll give it a go. I remember when opensolaris when boom and I saw all of this stuff happening with openindiana / illuminos etc etc and got sick of it. But looking at the website now, I think they have things a bit more together.

#9 Xen

Xen

Charge

• Atomican
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

fsck

and

Sweet, ill have to have a look to see how stable it is.

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - Benchmarking All The Linux File-Systems

Funny that this came out today haha

It's interesting how close EXT4 comes to btrfs, I just setup a 8TB NAS and set it to EXT4 seems to be running well (except for the shit WD Green the data is being copied off)
如诸佛尽寿不杀生, 我亦尽寿不杀生 如诸佛尽寿不偷盗, 我亦尽寿不偷盗 如诸佛尽寿不妄语, 我某甲亦尽寿不妄语

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users