Photo

2nd ethical dilemma...baby rats.

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Poll: How to kil 6 baby rats (27 member(s) have cast votes)

How should i kill six baby rats?

1. Drowning (3 votes [8.57%])

Percentage of vote: 8.57%

2. Crushing (6 votes [17.14%])

Percentage of vote: 17.14%

3. Starvation (2 votes [5.71%])

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

4. hypoxia (6 votes [17.14%])

Percentage of vote: 17.14%

5. freezing (8 votes [22.86%])

Percentage of vote: 22.86%

6. other.. (10 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Nich...

Nich...

Lemon Tart

• Mod
  • 41,277 posts
  • Interests:Professional Tart

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:08 AM

Yeah, it's not carbon monoxide they suggest, but helium or nitrogen. Helium should be easy to get?

nangangangang to death, you reckon?

Certainly cheaper than head first into liquid nitrogen.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#42 Gir

Gir

Apple Strudel

• Atomican
  • 14,421 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:28 AM

If you have a guillotine and can handle the mess OK, I'd go for decapitation as one of the quickest and most humane ways of euthanasing the rats. If not, it shouldn't be too hard to get hold of a CO2 container. I use them for home brewing, so your local home brew shop may even let you use one of theirs if you just take the baby rats along in a container.

As for drowning, crushing or starvation... I think those are all terrible ways to die. Freezing would be my third pick if you can't manage the first two. But make sure it is bloody cold, sitting in -3C waiting an hour or two to die would not be pleasant. Get the freezer down to -20C or colder, should shut down their little bodies within minutes one would hope.

This guy.

Also, I have had a lot of experience in doing this unfortunately. Euthanasia of rodents in research follows a code of Animals Ethics that states guillotine is best.
She didn┤t have any panties on, but she had good manners.

#43 otamic

otamic

Cannoli

• Quark
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:37 AM

Posted Image

#44 te0p

te0p

Croissant

• Atomican
  • 768 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

Sorry i didnt post the final soloution earlier. I made a descion and it was "by nature they came, by nature they go" Basiclaly i let nature take care of it. As i think i have finally sealed up my house and rats will no longer be a problem! awesome...and mice for that matter!! I decided to leave the baby rats in a palm tree i know the rats go to as a family to eat its flowers...they eat all the pollen off the flower heads. So i left the baby rats in the palm thinking perhaps the group will take them back if they come across them... Well i checked the cup i had them in, in the palm tree, and it was empty..... But... there was some blood in there... so maybe a bird got them. and to be honest i tryed to kill them humanely another way first but they survived it LOL... i was shocked. I wont mention what i did....i thought it would be a sure fire method.... but it didnt work. so i let nature do it or me in the tree instead.

#45 Nich...

Nich...

Lemon Tart

• Mod
  • 41,277 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:31 PM

Don't rats, like mice, eat other rodents?

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#46 sm1ddy

sm1ddy

╔clair

• Atomican
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

Rodent adoptions take a bit of work even with pets.... I doubt it would commonly work in the wild. Ohwell, at least they are gone now!

#47 te0p

te0p

Croissant

• Atomican
  • 768 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

Don't rats, like mice, eat other rodents?

That is exactly what i was thinking...perhaps they ate there own babies.

#48 Nich...

Nich...

Lemon Tart

• Mod
  • 41,277 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

Perhaps the babies ate the adults!

#49 katalyst

katalyst

Macaron

• Atomican
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

Sorry i didnt post the final soloution earlier.

I made a descion and it was "by nature they came, by nature they go" Basiclaly i let nature take care of it.

As i think i have finally sealed up my house and rats will no longer be a problem! awesome...and mice for that matter!!

I decided to leave the baby rats in a palm tree i know the rats go to as a family to eat its flowers...they eat all the pollen off the flower heads.

So i left the baby rats in the palm thinking perhaps the group will take them back if they come across them...

Well i checked the cup i had them in, in the palm tree, and it was empty..... But... there was some blood in there... so maybe a bird got them.

and to be honest i tryed to kill them humanely another way first but they survived it LOL... i was shocked. I wont mention what i did....i thought it would be a sure fire method.... but it didnt work. so i let nature do it or me in the tree instead.

"Final solution". lol

Edited by katalyst, 25 March 2012 - 11:12 AM.

Speech is greatest among the faculties, an index of the mind, and the glory of human culture; but the origin of all speech is in Breath. Whence comes the Breath and whither it goes may be learned by following the advice of the Delphic Oracle: "Man Know Thyself."-The Zodiac.

#50 Devilsmurf

Devilsmurf

Macaron

• Atomican
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

Leaving them outside was the best option. Birds, other rats, mammals, you name it baby rats would be a pleasant snack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users