• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jdm_com_au

jdm_com_au

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

Maybe I just need to get a life. For whatever reason, I decided to play every Freecell game from #1 for fun. 5505 consecutive wins later, I've decided to retire XP from all my machines. Whilst I've managed to find the file in Win 7 that keeps the stats, manually editing it doesn't seem to work. So apart from shooting me, is there an east way around this?

#2 bowiee

bowiee

Apprentice

• Hero
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:43 AM

Keep that one xp machine ? I googled this,

Your stats are in the registry. Export this key if it exists:
HKEY_CU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\FreeCell

* Use regedt32 / Browse to the key / Click File - Export
On the other computer use File Import to import your statistics.

but I have no idea if it works.

This looks like a more detailed instruction set, of course substitute floppy for USB.

Try the method below and check if it works.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

a) Go Start > Run

b) Type regedit and click OK

c) Press ctrl+f

d) Type freecell and click Find Next
Look at the bottom of the screen and you should see that the registry key your are in is

e) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\FreeCell

f) In the top tool bar: Click Registry

g) Click Export Registry File...

h) In the Window that opens: Type a:\Freecell.reg in the File Name

i) Check Selected branch under the Export range

j) Put a floppy disk in the A: drive

k) Click Save

When you have done a new install of Windows 7, put your floppy in A: and double click on the file Freecell.reg

Click Yes when asked if you are sure you want to add the information to your registry.

Click OK when advised the information has been added.

Edited by bowiee, 24 March 2012 - 09:45 AM.

#3 aliali

aliali

Learner

• Super Hero
  • 23,508 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

Problem is there does not appear to be a HKEY_CU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\FreeCell at least in the 64 bit version.
JDM > Windows easy transfer may do it.
http://windows.micro...s-easy-transfer
Get the appropriate version, install it on the XP PC and run it. If you do a custom transfer you can select the files and settings to be transferred from the XP box to the Win 7 box.
With any luck one of these will be for hearts.
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

#4 bowiee

bowiee

Apprentice

• Hero
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

Problem is there does not appear to be a HKEY_CU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\FreeCell at least in the 64 bit version.
JDM > Windows easy transfer may do it.
http://windows.micro...s-easy-transfer
Get the appropriate version, install it on the XP PC and run it. If you do a custom transfer you can select the files and settings to be transferred from the XP box to the Win 7 box.
With any luck one of these will be for hearts.

No that key is what he needs to find in his XP install, so you wont find that in win 7, unless you are looking at XP 64bit. In which case I have no idea as I do not have any xp machines anymore. :)

Edited by bowiee, 24 March 2012 - 10:56 AM.

#5 aliali

aliali

Learner

• Super Hero
  • 23,508 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

No that key is what he needs to find in his XP install, so you wont find that in win 7, unless you are looking at XP 64bit. In which case I have no idea as I do not have any xp machines anymore. :)

Yes but if the Win7 version of Freecell does not use that registry key then I can't see any point of actually importing it to Win 7
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

#6 Khirareq

Khirareq

Learner

• Hero
  • 21,025 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

It saves the stats in an xml - Well, it looks like it does (Win7 64 Pro - Windows XP is in the registry), but every time I edit it, it resets everything to fresh once the game is started again - Even been making sure the back up matches Even the info given on the Microsoft site to do this doesn't work (Nor make sense - But I tried it anyways)

Edited by Khirareq, 24 March 2012 - 08:55 PM.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss

#7 jdm_com_au

jdm_com_au

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 307 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

I tried the software in the link and it didn't work. What is helping is playing freecell game # -3 over and over. It's slow, but I'm getting there.

#8 Khirareq

Khirareq

Learner

• Hero
  • 21,025 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

Blah - That doesnt seem to work - One sec

Edited by Khirareq, 27 March 2012 - 07:18 PM.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss

#9 jdm_com_au

jdm_com_au

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 307 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

Freecell games -3 & -4 are in Win 7, maybe Vista, but not XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users