Photo

Game of Thrones Season 2 discussion (spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#121 BeDLaM#29

BeDLaM#29

Banoffee Pie

• Hero
  • 6,710 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

I think the girl is Jayne Westerling and she doesn't want Rob to know as the Westerling's are Lannister bannermen, so she's made a fake identity.

I'm quite disappointed about the lack of Reeds, as I feel the missing love interestwill hamper Bran's development in later chapters.

And introducing Ramsay in the way they have I fear removes much of the menace of the character. The whole Lady Hornwood affair established him as a man to hate, and the Reek thing will make less sense in later series since they never established it now. Perhaps they still have an ace up their sleeve on that one. Let's hope he at least burns Winterfell to the ground when he takes it.

One of the great strengths o the books is how good they are at making a villian. They've failed to convey the menace of the Mountain in the second book, let's hope we don't loose the bastard of Bolton too.

And just to confirm my Talisa Maegyr is Jayne Westerling theory and spoil their surprise http://www.comicbook...s/news/?a=44507
Life is simple I've developed a complex

#122 Nich...

Nich...

Lemon Tart

• Mod
  • 41,381 posts
  • Interests:Professional Tart

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

When Osha first appears, she's pretty filthy, especially her hair. Ygritte, by contrast, is clean and has nice and clean hair (and is, surprise surprise, pretty as a pretty red headed thing). I'm a bit more annoyed that the dire wolves keep changing height from larger than ponies to German shepherds. And Brienne keeps changing height from someone who is maybe over 6', to someone who is perhaps 8' or 9' tall. For some reason this slackening of production values/budgetary issues is annoying me more than some of the changes they're making. Some of them make life simpler when excising large tracts of plot, like Arya's time at Harrenhal. Some reek of George Lucas, like Greedo stealing the dragons.

Edited by Nich..., 08 May 2012 - 10:51 PM.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#123 MrFriendly

MrFriendly

Apple Strudel

• Hero
  • 9,171 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

I must admin the Direwolves are annoying me a bit, but they do such a good job with the production in everything else that I'm happy to over look the smaller things. And yah, pretty big fan of Ygritte, looking forward to some of the future scenes with her.... bow chicka wow wow
Wake and meditate. How do lifeless subatomic particles harmonize to become conscious... and produce this thought about themselves?

#124 plebsmacker

plebsmacker

Canelé

• Hero
  • 25,774 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

Posted Image
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

#125 MrFriendly

MrFriendly

Apple Strudel

• Hero
  • 9,171 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

Plebs, that's fucking brilliant.
Wake and meditate. How do lifeless subatomic particles harmonize to become conscious... and produce this thought about themselves?

#126 nobodyishere

nobodyishere

Croissant

• Atomican
  • 716 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

Plebs, that's fucking brilliant.

+9000!
Intel Xeon e3-1230v2 / MSI H77MA-G43 / 8gb DDR3 kingston HyperX 1866mhz / EVGA GTX680 2gb / Samsung 840 pro 128gb SSD all jammed in a Fractal arc midi R2 case

#127 Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy

Banoffee Pie

• Atomican
  • 5,475 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

Had a co-worker ask me about Game of Thrones today. He wanted me to explain an episode. I told him, "If you need someone to explain a movie or series for you, you shouldn't be watching it" :-\

#128 Nich...

Nich...

Lemon Tart

• Mod
  • 41,381 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/ is a good way to waste a few hours, tho' you'd probably want to be careful of spoilers if you're reading the books but haven't finished yet.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#129 BeDLaM#29

BeDLaM#29

Banoffee Pie

• Hero
  • 6,710 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:04 PM

For some reason this slackening of production values/budgetary issues is annoying me more than some of the changes they're making. Some of them make life simpler when excising large tracts of plot, like Arya's time at Harrenhal. Some reek of George Lucas, like Greedo stealing the dragons.

Most of the plot changes make sense. The Harrenhal stuff is interesting, though I would've liked to meet the Brave Companions.

And stealing the dragons makes sense. The mental harrowing that Dany undergoes in the House of the Undying is not going to translate well to the screen, so they need to give her a reason to burn the place and run from Qarth. Stealing the dragons seems like the obvious one.

I'm also inclined to think they have to split up Bran and Rickon, as Rickon's time with Osha is likely to change him in a way that is likely to be important to the future plots. I expect to see a wildling Rickon return to Winterfell. For this reason I'm thinking that Bran is going to head north with Hodor whilst Osha takes Rickon to Skagos, maybe Bran will meet the Reeds yet.

#130 MrFriendly

MrFriendly

Apple Strudel

• Hero
  • 9,171 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

maybe Bran will meet the Reeds yet.

Yeah, there still is time to introduce them in any number of places yet.

Dany better going into the House of the Undying, she sees the Red Wedding!

#131 Nich...

Nich...

Lemon Tart

• Mod
  • 41,381 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

I was reading something about Rickon maybe being on Skagos the other night. Was there something in the books about it that I missed?

#132 MrFriendly

MrFriendly

Apple Strudel

• Hero
  • 9,171 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

I was reading something about Rickon maybe being on Skagos the other night. Was there something in the books about it that I missed?

Yeah, I haven't finished A Dance with Dragons but there's a bit where Lord Manderly fake kills Davos and tells Davos that Rickon is still alive and to go get him so that he can fuck up Rayman's claim to Winterfell by marrying fake Arya. Can't remember if Rickon was hanging out on Skagos though.

#133 BeDLaM#29

BeDLaM#29

Banoffee Pie

• Hero
  • 6,710 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

When Wex shows Davos where Rickon went, he says it is a place that they break their fast on human flesh, and in Jon's dream of Shaggy Dog he sees a single-horned goat. Also Sam sees the wreck of a galley on the shores of Skagos on his way to Braavos.

In this paragraph from AFFC it's stated that cannibalism and unicorns are symbols of Skagos:

"The island sat at the mouth of the Bay of Seals, massive and mountainous, a stark and forbidding land, peopled by savages.They lived in caves and grim mountain fastnesses, Sam had read, and rode great shaggy unicorns to war.Skagos meant "stone" in the Old Tongue.The Skagosi named themselvesthe stoneborn, but their fellow northmen call them Skaggs and liked them little. Only a hundred years ago Skagos had risen in rebellion. Their revolt had taken years to quell and claimed the life of the Lord of Winterfell and hundreds of his sworn swords. Some songs said the Skaggs were cannibals; supposedly their warriors ate the hearts and livers of the men they slew.In ancient days, the Skagosi had sailed to the nearby isle of Skane, seized its women, slaughtered its men, and ate them on a pebbled beach in a feast that lasted for a fortnight. Skane remained unpeopled to this day."

Edited by BeDLaM#29, 10 May 2012 - 11:23 PM.

#134 Nich...

Nich...

Lemon Tart

• Mod
  • 41,381 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

Thanks, I remember seeing the thing about a shipwreck but hadn't pieced the rest of it together.

#135 drago13666

drago13666

Banoffee Pie

• Atomican
  • 7,926 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

I agree with alot of what others are saying, it is concerning that they leave out the reeds.

Edited by drago13666, 13 May 2012 - 11:59 AM.

Life, just like Schrödinger's cat, is both heaven and hell. It is only through death, when the true measure of our lives can be determinded, do we find out where we spend the rest of eternity.

#136 Periander

Periander

Éclair

• Atomican
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

Slow clap for plebs. I for one don't mind that they left out the Reeds for now.

#137 @~thehung

@~thehung

Banoffee Pie

• Hero
  • 7,842 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

i am not enjoying the second season quite as much this time around. i put that down to the pace slowing down and there being less new characters and discoveries each episode. i'm increasingly frustrated by a need to know more about the geopolitical fabric of the realm and whose fingers are in whose pies. sometimes there seems to be an inexhaustible amount of greater and lesser houses and their bannermen. still in love with it though.
no pung intended

#138 moist

moist

Éclair

• Atomican
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

This weeks episode did seem to only run for 10 minutes, they must be doing something right.
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

#139 Nich...

Nich...

Lemon Tart

• Mod
  • 41,381 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

Do you have sheep at the wall, then? Gotta say, I think the story would have been potentially more interesting if Tywin had recognised Arya at Harrenhal and taken her as a ward and groomed her for leadership.

#140 Saponification

Saponification

Contributor

• Super Hero
  • 38,838 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

Looks like Jamie's story will end with him losing his hand. And I reckon Jon will meet Mance.

Edited by Saponification, 14 May 2012 - 09:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users