17 replies to this topic

#1 amckern

amckern

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Posted Image

My problem is that my my wireless is only transmitting at about 25% when all other wireless devices in the house are off (or in stand by mode) - would it be better to connect the NAS to the DHCP server (modem) or keep it connected to the wireless router?

Edited by amckern, 30 March 2012 - 10:30 AM.

Whats inside my SG06 Case? -Dust -i3 530 -Zotac H55 wifi ITX mobo -Seagate 1.0TB HDD -9800GT -4GB GeIL GV34GB1333C9DC

#2 shorty56au

shorty56au

Charge

• Atomican
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

Wireless speed will always differ wildly based on a whole heap of factors, including: * Distance from access point * Other 2.4GHz devices around the place, eg, cordless phones, microwaves etc (I'm assuming you're running 802.11g based on the connection speed...) * Other detectable wireless networks in your area that'll cause interference or channel overlap * Type of antenna used on the AP and WLAN card You'll *never* see all 48Mbps or whatever you're connection speed is. Especially on wireless. Based on my experience with 802.11g, you'll be lucky to get 3-4MB/s even if you're sitting practically next to the AP. If possible, I'd try and move the PC considerably closer to the AP and see what sort of speed you'll get. Other than that, there's probably not a huge amount you can do with your existing hardware.
"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us." -- Western Union internal memo, 1876.

#3 aliali

aliali

Learner

• Super Hero
  • 23,500 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

While this would not effect the wireless speeds I bloody hope you have that router in pure AP mode and you are not double natting your LAN.
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

#4 amckern

amckern

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

I am unsure if the NAT is disabled on the wireless, i basically said for it to though put all DHCP requests, and then the dam thing disappeared on me. Thanks for the advice on the other detectable networks, i live in a town house, and can see 3 of the routers next door, becuase the router its self is around 20m away from me, i would expect it to be able to see more - is it possible to set dlinks to use an out of country transmission type - ie channel 13? Would this resolve some issues, or is 802.11 a 2.4Ghz service by design and you cant use a higher or lower band?

Edited by amckern, 02 April 2012 - 02:51 PM.

Whats inside my SG06 Case? -Dust -i3 530 -Zotac H55 wifi ITX mobo -Seagate 1.0TB HDD -9800GT -4GB GeIL GV34GB1333C9DC

#5 viremia

viremia

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 802 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

would it be better to connect the NAS to the DHCP server (modem) or keep it connected to the wireless router?

You're better off leaving it where it is.
It's going to add another 'hop' if you move it.
The connection will have to go from your PC, to the router, to the modem, back to the router then finally back to your PC.

As Shorty mentioned, you're running your wireless on 2.4GHz ('G') which is easily disturbed by interference.
Try scanning around and checking nearby Wi-Fi networks, and setting yours to a less congested channel.
There's a few smartphone apps that can help you out. For example: Wi-Fi Analyzer (Android).

If not, upgrading to a 5.8GHz setup will help you avoid interference as well as providing you with some extra bandwidth.
If your end device supports it, anyway.
h.IV+[Kymatica]

#6 aliali

aliali

Learner

• Super Hero
  • 23,500 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

I am unsure if the NAT is disabled on the wireless, i basically said for it to though put all DHCP requests, and then the dam thing disappeared on me.

Ah then most likely alll the NAT stuff along with DHCP has been disabled.
To access it again you need to find what LAN IP address it has been assigned by the modem (look in the modem DHCP table, or run something like AngryIP scanner http://www.angryip.org/w/Home over the LAN IP range.
As you don't mention make and model of the router I can't look up the manual to see what capabilities it has.

is it possible to set netgears to use an out of country transmission type - ie channel 13? Would this resolve some issues, or is 802.11 a 2.4Ghz service by design and you cant use a higher or lower band?

Channel 13 is approved for AU.
For wireless interference from other routers try running inSSIDer http://www.metageek....ducts/inssider/ on a wireless capable PC and scan for wireless networks. it should tell you what channels any detectable WLANs are on.
http://www.melbpc.or...404article6.htm might help you in selecting a channel as clear as possible.
Do note though that, as shorty56au said, even under ideal circumstances you are unlikely to see anywhere near the maximum theoretical throughput.
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

#7 amckern

amckern

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

The router is a D-Link DIR-625 - modem is Belkin F1PI241ENau

#8 bowiee

bowiee

Apprentice

• Hero
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

The router is a D-Link DIR-625

I just knew you were going to say you had a d-link. :( I will leave aliali with this one so I can watch him pull out his hair. :D

#9 aliali

aliali

Learner

• Super Hero
  • 23,500 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

The router is a D-Link DIR-625

I just knew you were going to say you had a d-link. :( I will leave aliali with this one so I can watch him pull out his hair. :D

Damn you Bowie, I am already loosing my hair I can't afford to pull out any.
:P
Ye D-link (and Belkin) are not my favourite bits of hardware.
Was going to suggest firmware update for the D-Link but it does not exist on the AU/NZ site, appears to be a US model only.
Firmware 1.09 11/29/2006
Revision Info: Passes WiFi certification.
Improved wireless data streams.
Enhanced compatibility with Broadcom and Marvel clients.
Also note there is a different firmware for the DIR-624 Rev C version.
Firmware 3.08 3/04/2009
Revision Info: Fixed Ui error words: correct string word is "Can't choose WPA-Enterprise when WPS is enabled".
Fixed the setting of "route rule can not be deleted emptily from the route list".
Fixed when there are 8 over clients connect to Router,the records of wireless clients all. disappeared.
Fixed ppp issue.
Still worth a try and if it bricks the D-Link no big loss IMO.

Given the age of both units I would personally retire them and get a new wireless N ADSL/Modem router all in one.
My favourite of the moment is the Billion 7800N because of gigabit LAN, wireless N (with good range and throughput) and solid connection on longer ADSL lines due to the Broadcom chipset it uses.
Your current ADSL attenuation (should be mentioned somewhere in the modems GUI) will determine what modems to look at. High speed low attenuation (under about 40dB) use anything except the Broadcom chipsets as they tend to give faster syncs. Anything over about 40dB use broadcom as you get a more stable connection (at a slight sync speed cost, but that's better than having the modem lose sync multiple times a day).

A good cheapy was the TP-Link TD-W8960N but I seem to remember the newer models no longer use the Broadcom chipset but now use Trendchip or something similar.
Why I suggest an all in one is it is one less device to power, easier setup, and not much more expensive than a pure router (if not cheaper even).

#10 amckern

amckern

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

I would love to get a wireless all-in-one but becuase i use Naked DSL, i am VERY limited on what brands / models i can use - the last one i purchased worked 100% ok for ADSL, but would NOT let me enter iiNets SIP. I also dont want a BoB as i know they use to be a real PIA

Edited by amckern, 09 April 2012 - 01:09 PM.

#11 _sentinel

_sentinel

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

Yea BoB's are just re-badged Belkins, avoid like the plague that they are.
Just buy this, and fix all your problems:
http://au.billion.co.../bipac7800n.php
Or buy something that DD-WRT will work on, and buy that.
C2D 6400 | GA-965P-DS4 | 4GB Team Xtreme | Radeon 4870 1GB | Razer AC-1 | Logitech G15 & G9 | Antec 182SE | Corsair HX620w | Thermalright Ultra120 eXtreme | Nexus Fans "Easy chewy, those buttons are your friends"

#12 aliali

aliali

Learner

• Super Hero
  • 23,500 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:43 AM

I would love to get a wireless all-in-one but becuase i use Naked DSL, i am VERY limited on what brands / models i can use - the last one i purchased worked 100% ok for ADSL, but would NOT let me enter iiNets SIP.

I also dont want a BoB as i know they use to be a real PIA

All brands and models should work with your naked ADSL, as they should with Iinets VOIP, so not sure what went wrong with your last all in one not wanting to accept Iinets SIP.
As you had issues with the other modem then all I can suggest is to try an updated firmware on the D-Link. Otherwise replace the D-Link with a better router in AP mode or a dedicated wireless AP.

#13 keith_h

keith_h

Titan

• Quark
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:04 PM

Might I suggest the following:

TPLINK TD-W8960N http://www.tp-link.c...model=TD-W8960N
Get an N300 wireless card or dongle, about $30-00. I'm using a TP-Link TL-WN821N dongle and have an N300 card in a media PC.

I have installed a few of these for people now and the combo works very well indeed. You can expect wireless performance to be similar to a 100Mbps wired connection.

I'm using a couple of these access points as well TL-WA801ND including one in bridge mode to provide an ethernet port elsewhere in the house for a media player.
http://www.tp-link.c...odel=TL-WA801ND

I did have to RMA one access point with a dead ethernet port but for the price, exceptional value and performance I think.

A quick test just now I dragged a large media file to the desktop from the NAS and got 60MB/s on the gigabit wired connection and 6.5MB/s on the wireless connection. NAS is a Synology 210j.

Edited by keith_h, 01 June 2012 - 03:15 PM.

3570k | 7850 | HAF922 - i5 2500 | 6950 | HAF932

#14 AMD AKIMBO

AMD AKIMBO

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:39 AM

mate i tried running wireless in my house about a year ago and running a billion modem router and $130 wireless n nic couuldnt get speeds over 5meg per second even sync'd at 300mps with the router right next to the nic i dont know anyone that even gets 10 meg per second transfer rate over wireless after googling and researching for weeks i gave up and ran a cable, wireless is fine for iphones and laptops n stuff but not for large file transfers or gaming. i hope you find a solution as i would love to know it too.
3930k @4.4, 2x120gb agility3's, 1.5tb seagate, 8 seagate 2tb lp's on perc6i raid6, hx 650 psu, gtx 580 sli, 32 gig trident x, asrockxtreme4, h60, acer b273h, fractal xl, samsung bluray.

#15 keith_h

keith_h

Titan

• Quark
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:22 PM

I suspect something is wrong with your setup. You do have N only and two channels configured, right?

Edited by keith_h, 03 June 2012 - 02:23 PM.

#16 amckern

amckern

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

Yes I have an tried using the TP-Link high gain antenna (Looks a bit like a female bed toy) and has no real effect. One thing i suspect might be causing trouble is the Hard Drive on both ends are WD Caviar Green's (one is a 1024Gb, other is a 2048Gb) and i suspect they are limited to 5200RPM could this reduce the effectiveness of the transfer speed?

#17 keith_h

keith_h

Titan

• Quark
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:16 AM

Yes

I have an tried using the TP-Link high gain antenna (Looks a bit like a female bed toy) and has no real effect.

One thing i suspect might be causing trouble is the Hard Drive on both ends are WD Caviar Green's (one is a 1024Gb, other is a 2048Gb) and i suspect they are limited to 5200RPM could this reduce the effectiveness of the transfer speed?

Shouldn't matter. Is it causing issues with streaming or whatever you are using it for?

#18 amckern

amckern

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

Nah no issues with streaming - was playing two AVI's over the wireless the other day - one to live tv, the other to a windows 7 netbook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users