Photo

How often should Windows be freshly installed?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 5,484 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

I have a very sluggish system lately, done all the AV scans and cleaning. Cleared up the start-up list and defragged several times. Still sluggish :-\ Thinking I should have to format and reinstall. Any suggestions before I do this?

#2 A Hitman

A Hitman

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

Get an SSD! Other than that just make sure you backed up everything you need and reinstall. A good windows installation can run for years at a decent speed, but it only takes a few wrong moves to ruin the OS's speed.
not working is hard work

#3 bowiee

bowiee

Apprentice

• Hero
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

This^^ I finally made the move to win 7 in June last year and the install is still fine. And I am always trying new software and then uninstalling it for testing reasons, but using ccleaner and auslogics defrag things are as good as when I first installed windows.

#4 aliali

aliali

Learner

• Super Hero
  • 23,548 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

I have a very sluggish system lately, done all the AV scans and cleaning.
Cleared up the start-up list and defragged several times.

Still sluggish :-\

Thinking I should have to format and reinstall.

Any suggestions before I do this?

I would start by checking your HDD has not dropped in to PIO mode (if using the sata controller in IDE mode). This can cause massive slowdowns.
Otherwise if all hardware is ok then my current favourite speed up is to get an SSD cache drive. Either an OCZ Synapse http://www.ocztechno...-solutions.html or Corsair Accelerator SSD
http://www.corsair.c...che-drives.html
With these no need to reinstall or clone windows to the SSD, just fit, connect and install the caching software. Instant speed up.
Plus no buggering around redirecting user data folders to the spinner drive.
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

#5 Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 5,484 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

So, went to do a fresh install of XP, made sure all is backed-up... Threw in the disc and rebooted, went to hit "any key to boot from disc"... The usb keyboard won't work, need a ps2 so I can begin. Don't have one, damn. :-[

#6 aliali

aliali

Learner

• Super Hero
  • 23,548 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

So, went to do a fresh install of XP, made sure all is backed-up...

Threw in the disc and rebooted, went to hit "any key to boot from disc"...
The usb keyboard won't work, need a ps2 so I can begin.

Don't have one, damn.
:-[

USB KB should work in the bios so get in there and (probably) under advanced settings or integrated peripherals, make sure "USB legacy support" is enabled. Oh if your mobo has USB ports right next to the PS2 port like this one
Posted Image
make sure the KB is plugged in there.
Also make sure it is not plugged in to any of the USB3 ports the mobo may have.
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

#7 Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 5,484 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

Well, after puting ice on my head after hitting it with a large idiot stick... I changed the bios settings using the usb key board and all good. Sometimes I just feel so dumb. (sometime in the past, I changed the settings on the motherboard to disable usb keybord input, why, I will never know )

#8 aliali

aliali

Learner

• Super Hero
  • 23,548 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

Well, after puting ice on my head after hitting it with a large idiot stick...
I changed the bios settings using the usb key board and all good.

Sometimes I just feel so dumb.

(sometime in the past, I changed the settings on the motherboard to disable usb keybord input, why, I will never know )

Think most of us have done that or something equally as "brain dead".

:P

#9 gunny

gunny

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 887 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

Run HDtune and make sure your getting full speed out of the drives We have had 5+ machines at work with broken SATA cables, giving rat shit speeds. Run HDtune and make sure your getting full speed out of the drives We have had 5+ machines at work with broken SATA cables, giving rat shit speeds.

#10 xnatex

xnatex

Charge

• Atomican
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

im a massive fan of doing a fresh install without a format so you can keep all your old files and just have it as a dual boot. Its a tad messy but saves backing stuff up. I reckon a re install is good to do every 2 years or so. After major service packs is a good time too

#11 bowiee

bowiee

Apprentice

• Hero
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

im a massive fan of doing a fresh install without a format so you can keep all your old files and just have it as a dual boot.

Its a tad messy but saves backing stuff up.

I reckon a re install is good to do every 2 years or so. After major service packs is a good time too

You should not keep anything on C drive except the programs you install, all else should be on another partition or drive so you can format any time you need to. :)

#12 bushi

bushi

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

im a massive fan of doing a fresh install without a format so you can keep all your old files and just have it as a dual boot.

Its a tad messy but saves backing stuff up.

I reckon a re install is good to do every 2 years or so. After major service packs is a good time too

You should not keep anything on C drive except the programs you install, all else should be on another partition or drive so you can format any time you need to. :)

Precisely.

I keep all my documents on the D:

Although thinking about getting an SSD and having so much stuff currently installed, I don't think I will format for a long long time.
http://bfbc2.statsve...pc/squatter.png i7 875k | Intel DP55KG | 6GB G-Skill Pi | Inno3D GTX580 1GB | 120GB Intel 520 + 1.5TB (+ 1.5TB backup) Seagate | Pioneer BDR-206BK | Auzentech Prelude 7.1 | Hauppauge 2200 PVR | Corsair AX750 | Silverstone FT-02BW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users