• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 milamber_of_the_assembly

milamber_of_the_assembly

Charge

• Atomican
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

So. I have this five year old who lives in our house (son) who was trying to clean the TV the other week. He managed to push the TV and knock it face first onto the carpet. Luckily it is an old CRT TV (I know get a flat screen) so the TV wasn't overly damaged except for one problem. The TV has several rear inputs and all of those were in use at the time. Unfortunately rather than the cords coming out, several of them broke off in the RCA jack. So I now have two inputs that are useless as the pin of the RCA lead has broken off in the RCA jack. Has anyone had this happen before and how have they fixed it? I have tried blutack but it doesn't have the pulling power. I am planning on little dabs of super glue next but don't really want to glue the cord in place. Any suggestions for fixes would be appreciated. Thanks M

#2 PointZeroOne

PointZeroOne

Crash Test Dummy

• Atomican
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

Buy a new TV. Can you get the pin out at all? Open the TV up and desolder the stuffed jacks and put new ones in?
Posted Image@PointZeroOne

Spoiler

#3 ReapermanRS

ReapermanRS

Charge

• Atomican
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

I've had this happen in car amplifiers, some of them are open at the other end and you can push the pin out, other ones I used a pick to manouver it out. Worst one i've ever had I ended up using a 1/64 drill to put a hole in it and drag it back, broke three bits doing it but they're cheap. Hope it works for you.
08/11/2012 the day the music died.

#4 milamber_of_the_assembly

milamber_of_the_assembly

Charge

• Atomican
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

1/64 drill, i've got one of them. can't afford a new tv can't desolder (for various reasons but mostly because inside the tv looks like a high voltage death trap) what type of pick? Guitar? M

#5 ReapermanRS

ReapermanRS

Charge

• Atomican
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

what type of pick? Guitar?

Hook and Pick set

I used a combination of the bottom one and the top one :) but anything similar would do, even a decent size sewing needle. Success not guaranteed and you need to be careful not to push them further in but I did manage to salvage an $900 amp.

#6 NukeJockey

NukeJockey

Learner

• Hero
  • 23,615 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

Wonder if neodymium magnets would be strong enough to pull them out. Got any old HDDs laying around?
My Rig: ASUS P67 Sabretooth | i5 2500k w/ Corsair H80 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaw-X 1866mhz | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X| NZXT Phantom | Corsair HX850

#7 ReapermanRS

ReapermanRS

Charge

• Atomican
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

Wonder if neodymium magnets would be strong enough to pull them out.

Got any old HDDs laying around?

The pins would most likely be a thin wrapping of copper, gold or aluminium around plastic.

#8 NukeJockey

NukeJockey

Learner

• Hero
  • 23,615 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

Wonder if neodymium magnets would be strong enough to pull them out.

Got any old HDDs laying around?

The pins would most likely be a thin wrapping of copper, gold or aluminium around plastic.

Yeah I think you're right.
My Rig: ASUS P67 Sabretooth | i5 2500k w/ Corsair H80 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaw-X 1866mhz | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X| NZXT Phantom | Corsair HX850

#9 SledgY

SledgY

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 917 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

A fairly easy repair if you are comfortable with a soldering iron although a word of warning: CRT's have very high voltages, in particular the fly back lead. If you are not careful there is enough current to kill or seriously injure yourself. Even after it's been disconnected from the mains there is often a large amount of energy stored in capacitors. If you are wary about doing this yourself any TV repair person should be able to fix this in short order.
poweredbypenguins.org - SledgY lives in the cloud...

#10 osama_bin_athlon

osama_bin_athlon

Learner

• Hero
  • 21,067 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

I pass a fair few dumped in the street all the time - flat screen ones as well as the old fishbowls
Quote by lunchbox1988 No, but the way he eases me onto his chimp-meat, makes me think he is prince charming. i7 2600K @ 4.4G/Corsair H100/Asrock Z68 Ext4 Gen3/16G 2133Mhz RipjawsX/2x GTX560 Direct CU SLI/2x Corsair 120G Force3 (RAID_0)/8TB Storage (2x RAID_0 arrays)/1x 320G WD Black - Backup/SB Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro/Corsair HX1000/LiteOn BD-RW/CM HAF 932 Adv/Win7 Ult. x64/27" AOC e2795Vh

#11 milamber_of_the_assembly

milamber_of_the_assembly

Charge

• Atomican
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:40 AM

Hard drive magnets fail. the metal is either too thin or not metallic. trying the drill bit tomorrow, i figure if i drill a bit into it and then pull the bit out with the drill stopped it might catch on it and come out. After that i am ringing the TV shop down the block and if he says it is going to cost more than $100 then i am (unfortunately) throwing it out. I don't want to just throw it because it is such a waste, It is still just fine for watching TV on (with a set top box) so i feel bad throwing it out. I'd still feel bad throwing it out if it had exploded but there are no other options up here. M

#12 NukeJockey

NukeJockey

Learner

• Hero
  • 23,615 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

Yeah if repair cost starts going over 100$ then you could buy a flatscreen for $200~

#13 milamber_of_the_assembly

milamber_of_the_assembly

Charge

• Atomican
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

All fixed. I gave in and took to to our local TV guy, $88 later and my TV works again! Incidentally he said he had to use to filed down cotton bud (the ones on the plastic shaft) to push the pins out as the 'live' line in the RCA plug goes directly down through the middle of the back of the plug. Because of this he couldn't just shove a small screw driver in there and pop it inside the TV and catch it. On the plus side that means i couldn't have ever pushed the pin through into the TV and destroyed it :D thanks for suggestions. M

#14 aliali

aliali

Learner

• Super Hero
  • 23,503 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

Good stuff Milamber and done a t a very reasonable price IMO.
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

#15 NukeJockey

NukeJockey

Learner

• Hero
  • 23,615 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

Yup, still several times cheaper than buying a flat screen of equivalent size. Heh, I just had a thought, I wonder if you could have gotten some epoxy and put a dab of the resin on a nail or something and a dab of the hardener on the broken jack, let it set for a moment and then pull it out?

#16 ReapermanRS

ReapermanRS

Charge

• Atomican
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

Yup, still several times cheaper than buying a flat screen of equivalent size.

Heh, I just had a thought, I wonder if you could have gotten some epoxy and put a dab of the resin on a nail or something and a dab of the hardener on the broken jack, let it set for a moment and then pull it out?

McGuyver called, you're stealing his schtick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users