• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cg776

cg776

Charge

• Quark
  • 484 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

Hi, I occasionally need to connect to server(s) for work from home after hours. The way I currently do this is by using RDC from my mac to my workstation at work over VPN and then RDC from the workstation to the server inside the DMZ. I'm wondering if/how-hard-it-is to setup a tunnel to simplify this, I am an admin for both machines. Any advice is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

#2 twinair

twinair

Immortal

• Hero
  • 47,242 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

So I take it your DMZ box has an internet facing IP address? What OS is it running? What type of firewall is it behind? I'm assuming you want to go from home directly over the internet to your DMZ? Do you have any VPN endpoints in your DMZ? Being admin on both machines is one thing, but the fact you mentioned "DMZ" means there is atleast one firewall involved, are you admin of this too?
This aint no fuckin' bible study. I didn't come here to save whales. I came here to shake my dick and have a great time.

#3 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

I believe the "correct" solution is to set up a Terminal Services sorry, Remote Desktop Gateway server.

That way you only need the HTTPS port open, and you can set policies about which users can connect to which machines, implement two-factor auth, and so on.

The trouble with this for you, is that in their infinite wisdom, Microsoft haven't yet added the RD Gateway functionality to the Mac client. I just use the Windows client through Parallels, but you may not want to do that.

Edited by SquallStrife, 04 April 2012 - 11:36 AM.

#4 twinair

twinair

Immortal

• Hero
  • 47,242 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

The term "correct" is debatable. I personally would go for a VPN solution as opposed to an RD gateway. VPN doesn't care for client operating systems.
This aint no fuckin' bible study. I didn't come here to save whales. I came here to shake my dick and have a great time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users