• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Zzozzach

Zzozzach

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

Recently I moved my telecommuter machine to a new one and had to reinstall a lot of software. It's a 64-bit Windows environment so this has meant a few changes (the old one was XPP 32-bit).

I look at a lot of logs through my work day. Some of them are big logs. Really Big Logs. They also come in a mix of Windows and Unix text formats. I learnt long ago that Notepad just isn't up to scratch in this regard; for my work, it mostly barfs on the file size or can't display Unix-style line endings.

Before I made the move I used to use Programmer's File Editor for this purpose. It was simple, could handle any size log I threw at it, and was able to intelligently display text from a variety of formats. It also displayed the character and column location of the cursor, a really, really handy feature when you need to point someone to a specific spot in a very large file. Sadly, PFE hasn't been actively developed for over ten years. Further, like all 32-bit Windows software it will continue to work to some extent until a patch/new version/update finally breaks it. So, I'm looking for an alternative.

I don't need fancy programming or formatting features, all I want is something that works with plain-text and can handle big logs. It also must be able to handle text formats from different platforms. If it sports the above-mentioned cursor location then that would be excellent. A decent search function would be an added bonus.

Anyone have recommendations?
The poster formerly known as Chazzozz. * Still an enthusiastic Opera user. Try it, you'll like it: http://www.opera.com/download/ * I love torrenting MAME and Pinball emulators. One day I may even use the software.

#2 Cybes

Cybes

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,415 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

Personally, I use Crimson (confusingly listed under Emerald Editor at Sourceforge) for most things. I'll swap to NoteTab for html files, because it has a very useful tag-stripping function.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea." - Antoine de Saint Exupery [quoted by Niel DeGrasse Tyson, about space travel]
"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor" - Alexis Carrel

#3 Caelum

Caelum

Titan

• Hero
  • 16,997 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

http://www.textpad.com/

I've used it to go through files many gigabytes in size with no problem.

The biggest issue i think you'll come across is when the file you're looking at is greater in size than your free ram capacity.
6hax

#4 Zzozzach

Zzozzach

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

http://www.textpad.com/

I've used it to go through files many gigabytes in size with no problem.

The biggest issue i think you'll come across is when the file you're looking at is greater in size than your free ram capacity.

Heh. That's one of the (many) reasons for the new telecommuter box. It originally had only 512Mb of RAM, and the first time I tried to open a log file greater than that it locked itself up nice & tight...requiring someone to physically go into the server room and poke the power button. Maybe not such a huge issue, but when you work in Australia and the server room is located on the east coast of America it can be a lengthy wait for someone to do it.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'll check them out.
The poster formerly known as Chazzozz. * Still an enthusiastic Opera user. Try it, you'll like it: http://www.opera.com/download/ * I love torrenting MAME and Pinball emulators. One day I may even use the software.

#5 nobody813

nobody813

Champion

• Atomican
  • 6,460 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Notepad++. Love it to bits, and haven't had any issues thus far with it, on files made in Windows/Mac OS X/Ubuntu

"Nobody, including Nobody, knows what Nobody is doing..." - millen

Intel Core i5 2500K | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 Windforce OC 2GB | Cogage Arrow | 240GB Intel 520 | 2TB & 1TB Seagate 7200.14's | Corsair HX-650W | Fractal Design Arc Midi

#6 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

+1 for Notepad++
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#7 CptnChrysler

CptnChrysler

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

Have you tried Gvim?
Everyone's entitled to my opinion! I've got the T-Shirt to prove it.

#8 Periander

Periander

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:00 AM

I use Textpad too.

#9 rs727

rs727

Master

• Atomican
  • 553 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

+1 for Notepad++

#10 smakme7757

smakme7757

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

I use textpad now, but i was a mega fan of Notepad++. Both are good!

#11 AIMBOT

AIMBOT

Champion

• Atomican
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

Despite the not very good at all interface, I'll have to +1 Notepad++. For opening large log files, it works really well.
Too long didn't read.

#12 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 41,952 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc

I don't need to edit files larger than 4GB so I stick with the 32bit Windows client. The GUI is sort of gVIM but not.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#13 NukeJockey

NukeJockey

Titan

• Hero
  • 23,615 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

notepad++ is my favourite.
My Rig: ASUS P67 Sabretooth | i5 2500k w/ Corsair H80 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaw-X 1866mhz | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X| NZXT Phantom | Corsair HX850

#14 mark84

mark84

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

+1 notepad++

Desktop: i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz | R9 295X2 | 16GB RAM | 120GB + 250GB SSDs | 2x 4TB HDD in RAID1

Server: AMD E-350 | 50GB SSD | 2x 2TB RAID1

Firefox AtomicMPC Menu | The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2 | Desktop build log

#15 insertfunnyname

insertfunnyname

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

+1 Notepad++ excellent highly recommend.
My baby: i5 2500K, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Gen3, ASUS GTX 560 with 120MHz coreclock overclock, 8GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 RAM, Corsair AX650, Corsair H60 and Antec P280.

#16 twents

twents

Master

• Atomican
  • 624 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

Ive always used notepad
BF3 name: FREEZINBONES Battletag (WoW D3): FREEZIN#1668 Steam: FREEZINBONES 2500k @ 4.6, 7970 @ 1150/1650, HX750, P8p67 pro, Sandisk/Patriot SSD/Ram, Xonar DG N40L, z2300's, desklamp, mousepad, old shit desk.

#17 TazFromOz

TazFromOz

Guru

• Atomican
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

I use Geany on both my Windows and Linux machines. I haven't used Notepad++, so can't compare the two.

Geany has some nice code highlighting functions and includes line numbering and tabbed browsing, like notepad++. I don't do much coding, but the little I do is handled quite well. Geany's actively developed (and probably will continue to be), and handles large files well.

Just another option if Notepad++ doesn't do it for you, though the two seem quite similar.

PS - just had a look and Notepad++ seems to be Windows Only? Geany is in the repos for most versions of Linux.
Free Games for intelligent readers / gamers / puzzle hounds. http://forums.atomic...showtopic=33970

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users