• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tiptopperoo

Tiptopperoo

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 393 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

Dear Atomicans, I have come to you today, seeking advice as to what on earth it is I am after. I have spent a great portion of the past 72hrs trawling forums, reading reviews and generally getting nowhere. Here is my dilemma. I'm looking to upgrade my portable computer. Not so fussed on price, but definitely need value. I have had an MSI Wind u100 since early 2009 and it has been great. It is however now randomly turning itself off as I believe the battery is shot. This is what started me looking around. Originally the wind was for uni, but now that's finished, my new device will primarily be for surfing the net from the couch, Skyping, trawling forums and watching movies/tv series during multiple Melbourne to London flights. Initially, being an HTC Android phone user, I thought 'great I'll just go out and buy the bestest Android Tab I can find'. WRONG! What a minefield that turned out to be. It seems that the current range of Android tabs are just fillers before they sort their $#!7 out and get a decent HD screen with no massive launch issues (ala the GPS and wifi issues with Asus Transformer Prime) I have always been respectful of Apple products, yet still wary of them, as I don't like the caged in feeling of OS. However the new iPad does sound very nice for watching movies with the massively high res screen. Then ultrabooks popped out, and I thought they might be the go, but I really don't need that much power, and the battery life on them is not that crash hot. They are also the most expensive option. Finally we get to netbooks. However when you go back and start comparing them to ultrabooks and tablets, they start looking rather large and clumsy with screens that are not that great. Coming back full circle, I have been very happy with my MSI Wind u100 for the past 3 years and pretty much everything is an upgrade on that. So am I being too picky? Is there a sweet spot in the netbook market that I have missed? I apologise as I'm not even making much sense to myself now, so any wise words to guide me would be most appreciated. Cheers Dave

#2 800_series

800_series

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 10,024 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

Depends - if you type a lot, get a netbook over a tablet. If you want a bit more grunt, get an ultrabook over both. If you really loved your Wind, get another netbook. Only downside is most netbooks come with Win 7 starter, which is a little annoying. I find myself wanting a tablet but at the same time, I would need to buy a keyboard to go with it because I type a fair bit at uni and such. Tablet is the progressive dream, at this stage it is a want and not a need.
Brought to you by the Minister for Cyborgs and Violent Cyborg Military Forces. Quote by hectorbustnuts Everything you post makes me "ROFL". Usually caused by concussing myself after a few minutes of smashing head against the desk.

#3 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

Tablets ... typing on virtual keyboards isn't exactly speed typing.
Resident KatyCat Smartphone: HTC Trophy T8686 - WP 7.10.8107.79 (aka Mango updated) Netbook: ASUS EEE PC 1015PN - Win7 Pro, Intel N550@1.5Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB WD SATA, nVidia ION2 Laptop: Win8 Home x64, Intel i5-430 @ 2.26Ghz, 4GB RAM, 240GB Corsair SSD, nVidia Geforce GT310 1GB Work PC: Win7 Pro x86, Intel Q9550@2.83Ghz, 4GB RAM, 2 x 250GB SATA, nVidia Quadro FX1700, 600W PSU

#4 PointZeroOne

PointZeroOne

Crash Test Dummy

• Atomican
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

I've used a netbook for a while, they are annoying to pull out and setup, boot time etc. I've been using my Samsung Galaxy s 2 phone a lot and phone it to be ok but lacking in screen size. I've recently bought myself a Galaxy Tab 7.7 which has a screen res of 1280x800 which is really good for most tasks. You can hook up a keyboard and mouse via bluetooth or USB host to this if you want to not type on screen. Using swiftkey though in portrait mode on the tablet splits the keyboard to the sides of the screen so can thumb type on a qwerty layout, which is really nice and easy to get the hang of. Battery life is claimed 10 hours, I haven't used it enough to see what heavy/constant use will actually do to it. The other thing you can do depending on how urgent this is, is wait for win8 and the tablets it will come on. But if you are just wanting to consume content then a tablet is the way to go.
Posted Image@PointZeroOne

Spoiler

#5 thesorehead

thesorehead

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

Does the Wind turn itself off when it's connected to power? If it really is the battery, you can always get a replacement one for $30 or so from eBay while you wait for Win8 devices to hit in October. Why wait for Win8? One product that I've been pimping relentlessly: Lenovo Yoga. Unless someone makes a comparable Trinity "ultratablet", this will be my next main machine.

Key features:
- 13" 1600*900, Ivy Bridge, SSD Ultrabook running Win8.
- Touchscreen with dual hinge that flips 360o to turn it into a tablet; or in between to be a "stand" or a "tent".
- ~$1200 pricepoint.

Benefits:
- with Ivy and SSD not only do I get good battery life, StarCraft 2 will be very playable.
- with Win8 and "ultratablet" mode I can have it on the coffee table and use it as a tablet.
- ~$1200 = convergence of ultrabook and tablet.

Of course these are what attracted me to the Yoga, but I think they apply to you as well. It trades off a fraction of the portability of a netbook in return for power and flexibility (literally!) to be more than a machine for taking notes at uni.
"Be Excellent to each other." - Bill and Ted Got my PS3 - now I need a 360 for teh gaems.

#6 TheFrunj

TheFrunj

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 14,171 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

JB HiFi have a 15% off sale on this for a short time, I'd get that because it's super fast and whatnot:

http://www.jbhifi.co...book-sku-73613/
"TheFrunj doesn't guess, when he forms words with his lips, the world will Warp and change to do his bidding." - Shikimaru No longer writing for Atomic :( http://forums.atomic...showtopic=49899

#7 harhis23

harhis23

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 365 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:21 AM

If you write/type a lot but has an office or just at home where you can lay down your gadget, then I would get a netbook or any laptop. However, if you travel a lot and have to do some typing along the way, get a tablet. But basically, it depends on your needs and lifestyle and you should be the first one to know that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users