• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 785 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:09 AM

hey guys just gonna copy and paste my post on POTN forums...please tell me what you guys think: so tonight i got into an argument with a friend, i'll try to explain it as simple as i can, please let me know what you think i went to check out a location that my professional photographer, who does it full time for a living, told me today, because i got asked by a friend to shoot portriat for his cousin and partner, my professional photographer friend was nice enough to tell me where the place is now one of my other friend who started shooting semi-pro (ie part time and charges people) noticed a few snaps i took of the place today and ask me where it was, now because it was my friend that does it for a living who told me about the place (as matter of fact i asked her if she was happy to tell me) and not a place i found for myself i said "out of respect for her let me ask her first if she's happy for me to tell others about that place" and that's when **** hits the fan, he started going on about how disappointed he was, how he didn't know she "owns the place" (because i referred to it as her spot instead of being politically correct and saying "she shoots a lot of portrait sessions there"), how i need to start putting flags up claiming ownership of the place, how i need to start to claim royalty from other photographers who shoots there etc basically non stop sour comment all because i said "i would like to ask her to make sure she is cool with me telling others about the spot" i know professional photography is very competitive, and while i believe most people are open about sharing info, technique and locations with eachother i wouldn't be surprised if people may want to keep certain things close to the chest long story short, i am more than happy to tell him where it is, but i'd just like to ask my friend who told me about the spot is it ok to pass on the location, am i being anal or wrong for showing some respect to my friend that gave me the location? sorry for the long rant ps i shoot for fun only

#2 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:02 AM

Heh...its like a secret fishing spot. I'd say you did the right thing. You're just meat in the sandwich of 2 tough slices of bread. You took the neutral path. You could have revealed the place and lost the trust of one, or refused to reveal and lost the friendship of another. By you yourself acting impeccably (in the Carlos Castanedan sense), you protect yourself which now leaves both of the other parties to act and reveal their true natures... All you can do is grab the popcorn...
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us...

#3 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 785 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:08 AM

Heh...its like a secret fishing spot.

I'd say you did the right thing. You're just meat in the sandwich of 2 tough slices of bread. You took the neutral path. You could have revealed the place and lost the trust of one, or refused to reveal and lost the friendship of another. By you yourself acting impeccably (in the Carlos Castanedan sense), you protect yourself which now leaves both of the other parties to act and reveal their true natures...

All you can do is grab the popcorn...

and u know what's funny, i am sure my professional friend would be more than ok in me revealing the spot, but i am doing this purely out of courtesy/respect

funniest thing is he replied to my msg more and he said it's because i referred to the location as "her spot" (i do apologise for not being politically correct in saying that she shoots a lot of photo there instead because i am fucking lazy) i am implying she owns it, at that point i stopped replying

#4 Caelum

Caelum

Titan

• Hero
  • 16,997 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:39 AM

Nah, you did the right thing. Maybe you could have worded it better, BUT... your friend shouldn't have gotten so worked up over it either.
6hax

#5 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 785 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:46 AM

Nah, you did the right thing.

Maybe you could have worded it better, BUT... your friend shouldn't have gotten so worked up over it either.

hey Caelum thanks for chipping in, haven't got your headphones yet? :P

see funny thing is half way through the argument i already made clear point to him that i did not imply or say she owns any place, but said "her spot" just because she shoots there, but he continues on his rant and even gave me a wiki link to definition of public place, now i think about it it's even funnier that a portrait shoot he is doing this weekend the "model" he is shooting is my friend that he asked me to ask to be his model

Edited by basketballfreak6, 04 April 2012 - 02:47 AM.

#6 seehund

seehund

Guru

• Hero
  • 11,858 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

Sounds like your heart was in the right place and this other person's just being a wee bit precious about it. Maybe they were having a crap day and this was just the straw that broke the camel's back? Have you touched on it/talked to them again about it recently?

#7 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 785 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

Sounds like your heart was in the right place and this other person's just being a wee bit precious about it. Maybe they were having a crap day and this was just the straw that broke the camel's back?

Have you touched on it/talked to them again about it recently?

hey thanks seehund, my friend who told me the location got back to me and no surprise she was absolutely cool about the whole thing, i haven't spoke to the other guy since we finished off last night and quite frankly i think i am done with it

if my friend was nice enough to tell me a spot she spent her own time looking for and who i know makes a living from shooting then the least i can do is give her a heads up before passing on that info to someone else, if he has a problem with that (and his current stance that he is only ticked off because i supposedly referred to the place as "her spot" which implies ownership which i explained a number of times nobody ever claimed anything, i said "her spot" because i didn't think i needed to be politically correct saying "the location in which she shoots a number of her clients" ) then so be it

just for laughs here is the snap of the place that got me in trouble yesterday lol, 2pm Queensland sun sure is nasty :P

Posted Image
Just A Snap by basketballfreak6, on Flickr

#8 stadl

stadl

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 8,795 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

I'd tell him to pull his head out of his arse and stop being so precious about perceived cases of people stepping on his precious rights, and accept it for what it is - a turn of phrase. Let him know you'd do the same courtesy for him too, and if he doesn't like it, it's his problem that he can't differentiate between morality and legality.

A device so simple that it took a mind as brilliant as mine to create it! So brilliant, in fact, that simply by harnessing the power of one live frog, it... it... uhh... <poke> <poke> ... World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Talk amongst yourselves.

#9 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 785 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

I'd tell him to pull his head out of his arse and stop being so precious about perceived cases of people stepping on his precious rights, and accept it for what it is - a turn of phrase.

Let him know you'd do the same courtesy for him too, and if he doesn't like it, it's his problem that he can't differentiate between morality and legality.

thanks stadl, i've already made my point and i no longer feel the need or have the patience to reply to his msgs now

#10 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

Looking at the pic you posted of the place in question, honestly, it doesn't look all that "special" or unique or unusual to me...I can't see what the fuss is about this person wanting to know the location. I suspect there is more going on. Do the other two know each other?
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us...

#11 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 785 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

Looking at the pic you posted of the place in question, honestly, it doesn't look all that "special" or unique or unusual to me...I can't see what the fuss is about this person wanting to know the location. I suspect there is more going on. Do the other two know each other?

nope they don't, maybe his pride just got hurt because i wouldn't just give him the location? i dunno, like you said it's not that unusual or special, just a really nice spot, he even went on to say "there is tracks like that eveywhere anyway" and like i said trying to give me shit about "owning" the place :-/

#12 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

Indeed. However, railway tracks are usually on state government land and therefore illegal for members of the public to access, let alone sit on...so yeah...it could be a type of setting thats in demand.

#13 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 785 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

Indeed.

However, railway tracks are usually on state government land and therefore illegal for members of the public to access, let alone sit on...so yeah...it could be a type of setting thats in demand.

who knows, it's a steam rail track that get used like twice a month for tours or something, so not a main line or anything

now i think about it more it was kind of embarrassing it got blown to the way it did, but when you have someone instead of just letting go and moving on or even just wait for me to ask my friend for an ok he literally spent all night making sour grape comments like why don't i go patent the place and charge people royalties for taking photos there etc, when i spent all night telling him no one is claiming ownership of anything, like i said even linking me a wiki page giving definition of "public location", i think it was matter of time before i snap

#14 Athiril

Athiril

Guru

• Atomican
  • 12,484 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

Mmm, there's no right thing, but there's no wrong thing to do in refusing to tell/witholding, doing what you did, or outright telling them. But your friend did wrong I think for losing their shit for not revealing information, you have no obligation to do so. I also don't believe in any obligation of needing permission from someone else to reveal a public area you know about, since it's now your knowledge too.
"Comedians can fuck up, and being called out on it is important." - Robzy "For the record, I have a good joke, but I shouldn't post it" - Robzy "I haven't heard anything like this before but anything is possible!" - Leonid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users