• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CelticKnight

CelticKnight

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

Erm. I have a bit of a quandry here. We are in discussion about renting out the bottom floor of our house. We have ADSL2+ internet, which is surplus to our needs and we would like to, if you will, rent our excess internet to our tenants. The network is fairly well setup. At one stage there was 8 PCs and half a dozen various connected devices (2 smart TVs, Laptop, phones, ipods/etc and occasionally friends laptops etc). There is wireless N, but its secure for us to use. I'm trying to think of some way we can rent a portion of our connection out. For example. The neighbor can physically plug his laptop into a switch in the downstairs flat, and do whatever he wants. He cannot see any devices on the network, he cannot see the router, but he can still access the internet, DHCP server (on router) etc. We still have control over the connection, being able to institute a throttle on how much bandwidth he can access. Say limiting his access to.. 512/128kbit. Fairly decent ADSL. We still have the lions share, but are able to change that, Would be nice to give him a quota too so our ISP doesnt punish us. say? 20Gb quota. More then enough! I cannot think how I might be able to do this. I've setup a fairly simple P2P network (here) and a decent File Server/Client network, but it had no real limitations or security concerns. With what I'm thinking here security is a huge concern. I don't like the idea of having someone I've never met, able to plug into a switch and access the whole network! Any ideas how what i'm after might be achieved? I'm pretty sure there is specific router/firewalls to do exactly what i'm suggesting, but is there anything that isnt stupidly priced? I don't exactly want to sink thousands of dollars into giving tenants I hope will be a free service to them. Help! David

#2 _sentinel

_sentinel

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

Physical box, or virtual with pfsense installed. Directly connected to your dsl account via whatever means. Configure as required (ie own IP range etc etc). Buy a separate wireless AP with its own WPA and SSID. Physically connect this to the pfsense box. Profit and such. That's the short version. If you want to do this, and don't know how, when I've got time I'll give more details. But researching and doing it yourself will be fair bit quicker. Also an AP that can take DD-WRT would give you even more control.
C2D 6400 | GA-965P-DS4 | 4GB Team Xtreme | Radeon 4870 1GB | Razer AC-1 | Logitech G15 & G9 | Antec 182SE | Corsair HX620w | Thermalright Ultra120 eXtreme | Nexus Fans "Easy chewy, those buttons are your friends"

#3 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 23,583 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:16 AM

Also an AP that can take DD-WRT would give you even more control.

Gargoyle is what you want
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/
Supported routers
http://www.gargoyle-..._tested_routers
Note that the router will have to be physically inaccessible to the downstairs people, otherwise they could just remove the ethernet cable that goes up to your modem and plug it straight in to their PC, or connect their own AP.
Will also need to make sure you set your own admin password on it so they can't log in to it themselves.
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users