• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 magnusson

magnusson

Titan

• Quark
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hey guys, for the last few weeks i have not been able to make my mind up about what to do with a bit of extra cash. Initialy the plan was that i would build a nice little gaming rig (my first build) for around $1000 NZ but since i have had second thoughts and have considered getting a tablet instead. All i really want from a computer is the ability to surf the internet, document editing and stuff for school, listening to music and watching movies and a bit of gaming here and there. And yes i know a tablet is about the most impracting thing for gaming but i have an old laptop that i could possibly use for that. Anyway i have no clue what to do as i really want both but there is no way i can stretch my money that far. Advice please.

#2 NukeJockey

NukeJockey

Learner

• Hero
  • 23,615 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

If you're getting a tablet and you plan on doing any writing/document editing on it, you'll want some form of keyboard. Personally I'd get a netbook, Android tablets are pretty meh atm, you could always go for an ipad though.
My Rig: ASUS P67 Sabretooth | i5 2500k w/ Corsair H80 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaw-X 1866mhz | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X| NZXT Phantom | Corsair HX850

#3 PointZeroOne

PointZeroOne

Crash Test Dummy

• Atomican
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

NukeJockey, is your 'android tablets are pretty meh' from experience or from what you've read? I've got a galaxy tab 7.7 and it's great to use, decent screen res 1280x800 With a bluetooth keyboard and mouse it works great as 'PC' Gaming is ok, Android is getting more and more games. But if you are really really wanting gaming you'd better look at a tablet that has a Tegra 3 CPU in it as most games that are decent graphics get released on Tegra 3 first or only on Tegra devices.

AzpUvwG.png - @PointZeroOne
psn.png - PointZeroOne-AI

icon_steam.gif - PointZeroOne

#4 unco_tomato

unco_tomato

Master

• God
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

http://www.jbhifionl...ltrabook/658587

Perfect for school work and games like LoL, HoN and anything else based off a simple / old engine. personally, I'd go for a 13", but that will obviously cost you more.

Tablets are cool, but I've never been compelled to buy one after using them. There are other devices that do specific jobs better IMO, the tablet is a jack of all trades, but master of none.
Intel i5 3570 @ 4.5GHz - Gigabyte OC HD7970 @ 1150MHz - 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1866MHz - ASUS Maximus V Gene - Antec EA-650W Platinum - Fractal Design Define Mini - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 - 10TB Network Storage - OCZ Vertex 3 240GB (Steam) - Corsair Force GT 3 120GB (OS+BF3).

#5 NukeJockey

NukeJockey

Learner

• Hero
  • 23,615 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

NukeJockey, is your 'android tablets are pretty meh' from experience or from what you've read?

I've got a galaxy tab 7.7 and it's great to use, decent screen res 1280x800

With a bluetooth keyboard and mouse it works great as 'PC'

Gaming is ok, Android is getting more and more games.

But if you are really really wanting gaming you'd better look at a tablet that has a Tegra 3 CPU in it as most games that are decent graphics get released on Tegra 3 first or only on Tegra devices.

Galaxy Tab 10.1 is what I'm using, I just haven't really found the need to use it over a phone yet, whereas a laptop or netbook I could use for hours.

I'm looking into getting a keyboard attachment for it, but even then it would still be less handy than a PC. Especially when most decent tablets are $500+.
My Rig: ASUS P67 Sabretooth | i5 2500k w/ Corsair H80 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaw-X 1866mhz | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X| NZXT Phantom | Corsair HX850

#6 A Hitman

A Hitman

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

Don't waste your money on a Tablet, they are mostly just toys. If it were my $1000 I would save it for a few months and wait for the next gen AMD laptops, or save a bit more and build a gaming PC.
not working is hard work

#7 PointZeroOne

PointZeroOne

Crash Test Dummy

• Atomican
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:30 PM

Galaxy Tab 10.1 is what I'm using, I just haven't really found the need to use it over a phone yet, whereas a laptop or netbook I could use for hours.

I'm looking into getting a keyboard attachment for it, but even then it would still be less handy than a PC. Especially when most decent tablets are $500+.

You can get the tab 7.7 for under $500 and I'd say it's decent.

Everything I used my Netbook for I do on my Tablet without issues. I can even game better on the tablet than my netbook.

AzpUvwG.png - @PointZeroOne
psn.png - PointZeroOne-AI

icon_steam.gif - PointZeroOne

#8 thesorehead

thesorehead

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

OP, how long can you afford to wait? If you can hang on for a bit I'd recommend seeing what's available once Ivy Bridge and Trinity come out. Both will have compelling offerings and different balances of gaming/portability. I suspect that Trinity machines will be generally cheaper as AMD tries to push out against Intel; Intel machines will still be more powerful, at least for non-gaming purposes.
"Be Excellent to each other." - Bill and Ted Got my PS3 - now I need a 360 for teh gaems.

#9 magnusson

magnusson

Titan

• Quark
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

wouldnt really mind waiting for ivy bridge. also what does everyone think on the razer blade it is supposed to be "the first true gaming laptop" but some people say that its all h hype, it sure looks pretty damn cool though.

#10 Girvo

Girvo

Learner

• Hero
  • 20,572 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

It's the single nicest looking gaming laptop I've ever seen. Sure, it's not that powerful, but yknow what? I like how it looks, and that matters to me. *shrugs
brains: NO U R RONG N00B VISTA IS 4 N00BZ N LINUX IS HIPPIE SHIT

#11 nesquick

nesquick

Learner

• Atomican
  • 19,783 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

OP, how long can you afford to wait? If you can hang on for a bit I'd recommend seeing what's available once Ivy Bridge and Trinity come out. Both will have compelling offerings and different balances of gaming/portability. I suspect that Trinity machines will be generally cheaper as AMD tries to push out against Intel; Intel machines will still be more powerful, at least for non-gaming purposes.

I don't know about that, AMD quad core A8 laptops are usually more expensive then better spec'd intel machines, when I see them for like $12-1600 I think what moron would buy that.

Edited by nesquick, 12 April 2012 - 03:53 PM.

STEAM/BC2 name: AllNightmareLong

#12 alexdtree

alexdtree

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 544 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

+1 to a netbook, will save yourself a lot of money and will be fine for what your planning on using it for.
Slyblackninja

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users