• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:13 AM

A friend of mine who is a bit old school when it comes to building and managing his website (he edits his html docs in Word), contacted me today in a spot of bother. His webserver (a 1990's Sparcstation) went down, and he lost all his local files for his website. He was able to find backups from various time periods, and from various other locations (disks lying around), as well as large portions of the site from an archive somewhere on the net (WTF that archive is, I have no idea). He has saved them all to a new local disk, but has the problem of links not working. I haven't had a look at the pages yet, but I am thinking most of the web links are absolute links and not relative, and because they are all drawn from different back-up sources, the links most likely all contain different references in the urls. I know in Dreamweaver you can via options, change absolute links to relative and vice versa, but in this case I am not 100% sure whether that is going to work. The job could be done manually, but there are hundreds, maybe thousands of pages involved, and manual editing is gonna be, I think the word I told him was "nightmare". What I am wondering is if there is a DOS command script or something of the sort which you can run and it will search the pages and convert links to relative. Yes I know, I have told him many times before that he needs to use some more modern website management software to run his site, but he's 60+ years old, a retired university professor, and has not progressed past the level of editing html in Word. He won't have a bar of it. I feel compelled to help the man as he was one of my professors, and he has an awesome mind within his field...but just not when it comes to keeping up with developments in website hosting. Any suggestions?
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us...

#2 Hubbo

Hubbo

Master

• Atomican
  • 561 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

Is the website a live website, or just stored/presented on a LAN (ie. intranet)? I can't see the absolute links being a problem as they will contain the full path and there isn't really much that can go wrong there. I'd say the links are probably relative links and perhaps pointing to a folder that no longer exists. Either way, I would recommend getting to the bottom of the problem first (whether it is in fact a absolute/relative link issue), modify a few files, then once you know exactly what needs to be changed then working on doing some kind of batch solution. Report back, and maybe we can give some more advice. If it's just a matter of a batch "find" and "replace" I'm sure you could find a solution/program on the net/Google.
"There is no charge for awesomeness.... or attractiveness."

#3 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

The website was live. He was hosting the site on his own machine, which is now dead. He has purchased web hosting space from a provider and wants to upload it to that, after he gets the links all working locally. I guess I will need to view some of the pages and their weblinks to see what the problem is exactly. I hope its just a matter of a missing folder... I'll see what I can find out.
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users