• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ameel

ameel

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

Hi guys, here is my specs: cpu: 2600k mobo: asus p8z68-v le ram: 4x4 gb DDR3 (Team Group Inc, Dark-1600) graphics: Radeon HD6870 SSD: Patriot Pyro SATA III 60GB My computer's been crashing a lot ever since I built it. I figured initially it was the SSD. After updating the drivers, it kept crashing, but less. I got the application "WhoCrashed" to check crash logs, and it was something to do with USB3. I tried to update drivers, uninstall, disable from bios, but wouldn't work until after I completely disabled from bios and re-installed OS. Crashing almost stopped (for a few days), until it began crashing again - less frequent, but still crashes every 1-2 days. However, WhoCrashed doesn't show any log report anymore. So I cannot determine what the problem is. Few things to note: Computer freezes when it crash. No BSOD. It just freezes on whatever screen I had on. It happens randomly - whether i'm using word, firefox, or not using anything (i.e. after I wake up i see it crashed) Sometimes, it makes weird and freaky noise through the speakers (ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta/etc if you can picture/music* that) Ran memtest overnight. When i looked at it in the morning, it said complete, no errors, but I could not exit. Appeared to me the computer crashed/froze. Had to reset to reboot. The unreliability is killing me. I really enjoy having a fast computer, it's pissing me off that it crashes randomly while im doing work on Word. Please help me troubleshoot! Thanks

Edited by ameel, 11 April 2012 - 11:35 AM.

#2 bowiee

bowiee

Apprentice

• Hero
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

I suggest you run Memtest But first reseat everything and make sure you have all power leads necessary plugged into your video card and motherboard. Also make sure your heat sink is on firmly. It might be the SSD but as you reinstalled windows with no problem my money is on faulty ram or motherboard.

#3 ameel

ameel

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

I suggest you run Memtest But first reseat everything and make sure you have all power leads necessary plugged into your video card and motherboard. Also make sure your heat sink is on firmly. It might be the SSD but as you reinstalled windows with no problem my money is on faulty ram or motherboard.

I'll update my original post, but forgot to mention. Ran memtest overnight, and no errors. However, I couldn't actually exit the test. I assumed that the computer crashed and reset it.

Any way to know if it is the motherboard or cpu? Any test I can do for either?

#4 unco_tomato

unco_tomato

Master

• God
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

I had the exact same thing, I ran Memtest and got no errors either. I changed my RAM kit our just in case, and have not had an issue for months. Do you have a kit you could borrow from a friend? or any old kits laying about to test with? Also, before anyone says it was my RAM overclock that was causing the crash, and not the kit itself, it crashed on stock clocks too, this new kit runs OC well though :)
Intel i5 3570 @ 4.5GHz - Gigabyte OC HD7970 @ 1150MHz - 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1866MHz - ASUS Maximus V Gene - Antec EA-650W Platinum - Fractal Design Define Mini - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 - 10TB Network Storage - OCZ Vertex 3 240GB (Steam) - Corsair Force GT 3 120GB (OS+BF3).

#5 bowiee

bowiee

Apprentice

• Hero
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

Well if you have a separate stick of ram for testing and it becomes stable after that, then problem solved. If your computer crashed during memtest then I would be very suspect of your ram, on the chance it is only one stick involved I would remove all sticks and test them one at a time. Just run your computer as normal and see if you get any lock up's, if you do put that stick aside and try the next one and so on. Your CPU is very unlikely to be the problem, and the way to find out if it is the Mobo (without having another one to test with) is to eliminate the other probable causes.

#6 ameel

ameel

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

Thanks for that guys. I'll get onto the ram tonight. Follow up question. On CPU-z SPD, I see 'Max-bandwidth PC3-10700(667 Mhz)'. My ram should be 1600Mhz and I remember setting the config in bios for DRAM frequency as 800mhz. Does 'Max-bandwidth PC3-10700(667 Mhz)' mean that my ram is actually 1333Mhz , instead of 1600Mhz, and i've actually been overclocking all this time????? >_< also, 'SPD Ext.' report as XMP thanks for mentioning "overclocking ram" unco_tomato, which made me check that out.

Edited by ameel, 11 April 2012 - 02:13 PM.

#7 ameel

ameel

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

In addition to the concern about memory as per immediately above, is there any chance it could be related to psu/power?

#8 unco_tomato

unco_tomato

Master

• God
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

Yes, it could be, but it's not likely that it will have random lock up due to power unless your PSU is incredibly shit. If you got a lock up every time you loaded up a game, but no other time, then yer, I would give the PSU a consideration, but given the "randomness" of your problem, I would say it's RAM.
Intel i5 3570 @ 4.5GHz - Gigabyte OC HD7970 @ 1150MHz - 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1866MHz - ASUS Maximus V Gene - Antec EA-650W Platinum - Fractal Design Define Mini - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 - 10TB Network Storage - OCZ Vertex 3 240GB (Steam) - Corsair Force GT 3 120GB (OS+BF3).

#9 fajw

fajw

Useless waste of 0s and 1s

• Banned
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

Not sure if this is it, but I had a similar problem and connecting the monitor to the other DVI port fixed it.

#10 ameel

ameel

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 438 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

Not sure if this is it, but I had a similar problem and connecting the monitor to the other DVI port fixed it.

was it random and recurrent though?

I "underclocked" my ram to 1333, no good. looks like it crashed in the last few hours. i realise i have a useless graphics card inside at the moment (5450) that im not using. i'll remove that as well, and change dvi ports and see.

if still happens, ill start working out each ram at a time

#11 fajw

fajw

Useless waste of 0s and 1s

• Banned
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

was it random and recurrent though?

Apparently.

#12 ameel

ameel

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 438 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

Removed the extra video card (ATI 5450). Computer's running OK since 6:30pm yesterday. will see how it goes... if fails again, will remove 1 ram stick at a time. Is there any chance it would be the extra video card?

Edited by ameel, 13 April 2012 - 01:01 PM.

#13 bowiee

bowiee

Apprentice

• Hero
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

Maybe it could have been the old card, but more likely if the old card is involved, it would be the pci-e slot that it was in that could be faulty.

#14 ameel

ameel

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 438 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

Maybe it could have been the old card, but more likely if the old card is involved, it would be the pci-e slot that it was in that could be faulty.

Ok. It's crashed even after I removed the 5450, so it's not the card. HOWEVER, I put in a Corsair Force 3 120gb to replace my OCZ Agility 3 60gb last week on Thursday/Friday.. The computer has NOT crashed/frozen since, at all!! It's been running very smoothly!!

I'm now thinking the OCZ SSD was the issue? I originally called MSY several times within the "2 week" return policy period when my pc was crashing because of SSD, but the guy I spoke to couldn't do anything, took my details and said he'd get someone to contact me. It's been few months since and I still haven't heard back. Do you guys think I still have recourse through MSY or should I go through RMA myself?

On one hand I am relieved that the faulty component has been spotted but on the other, I am pissed that it's been the SSD all along - as I originally thought.

#15 aliali

aliali

Learner

• Super Hero
  • 23,507 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

HOWEVER, I put in a Corsair Force 3 120gb to replace my OCZ Agility 3 60gb last week on Thursday/Friday.. The computer has NOT crashed/frozen since, at all!! It's been running very smoothly!!

I'm now thinking the OCZ SSD was the issue?

You did check the OCZ was running the latest Firmware didn't you?
http://www.ocztechno...andForce_Based/
Same goes for the Patriot Pyro
http://patriotmemory...rt/driversp.jsp
Both are Sandforce controller SSDs which had some issues especially with certain chipsets. A firmware update fixes the issues.
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

#16 unco_tomato

unco_tomato

Master

• God
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

Do you guys think I still have recourse through MSY or should I go through RMA myself?

MSY have to handle the warranty for you, it's the law.

#17 ameel

ameel

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 438 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

HOWEVER, I put in a Corsair Force 3 120gb to replace my OCZ Agility 3 60gb last week on Thursday/Friday.. The computer has NOT crashed/frozen since, at all!! It's been running very smoothly!!

I'm now thinking the OCZ SSD was the issue?

You did check the OCZ was running the latest Firmware didn't you?
http://www.ocztechno...andForce_Based/
Same goes for the Patriot Pyro
http://patriotmemory...rt/driversp.jsp
Both are Sandforce controller SSDs which had some issues especially with certain chipsets. A firmware update fixes the issues.

Yes sir, I saw all that a while ago, and already applied the firmware updates. The crashing decreased, but not completely fixed. I wanted them to replace/exchange it, not actually rma it, which is why i wanted it to be done within the first 2 weeks of purchase. I did tell the guy that. He said he'd get someone to call me back, but never did... ~_~

Edited by ameel, 18 April 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#18 aliali

aliali

Learner

• Super Hero
  • 23,507 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

Yes sir, I saw all that a while ago, and already applied the firmware updates. The crashing decreased, but not completely fixed.

Bugger. :-(

I wanted them to replace/exchange it, not actually rma it, which is why i wanted it to be done within the first 2 weeks of purchase. I did tell the guy that. He said he'd get someone to call me back, but never did... ~_~

Double bugger.
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users