• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RenascentMisanthropy

RenascentMisanthropy

Apple Strudel

• Atomican
  • 9,472 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

I've recently (within the last year) started doing a lot of 720p video editing.

I'm using ASV4U and when compiling a movie, I get a 1-5 second pause between scenes when playing all of the scenes through before rendering the movie. The final renderings work fine, just the constant pauses during the testing and editing process are annoying to say the least. Do other AVS users have the same issue or is it my machine? I'm considering a laptop update if it can guarantee me a more streamline video editing process. I recently upgraded from 4gb to 8gb of RAM and it made no noticeable difference. I've tried different page file sizes including turning it off completely but again no noticeable differences.

I keep my machine well maintained, registry clean, regularly defragged, spyware free, no excess background apps or services running, always use the latest drivers, etc.

My current laptop specs: Fairly fresh install of Win7 Pro x64, Core i5 540M, 8GB CL7 PC3-8500, Mobile Radeon HD5650 1GB, 1x 500GB WD blue (300gb free), 1x 750GB WD blue (400gb free).

Thoughts? Should I upgrade? Apart from the pausing in AVS, I wouldn't consider this laptop sluggish. I'm currently playing Mass Effect 3 on it just fine. My lifestyle doesn't allow for a desktop so please don't suggest anything of the latter.

Edited by RenascentMisanthropy, 11 April 2012 - 12:09 PM.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy things you can be happy with.

#2 strifus

strifus

Croissant

• Atomican
  • 999 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

Just to note here, I have never used AVS before but I have used a Sony Vegas and Adobe Premier before. In my experience, the pauses you are experiencing are normal IF you are viewing your preview scenes in anything but the lowest possible resolution (Note that the final render is always fine no matter what). In Vegas video, you have the option of viewing your preview in various "Quality"-types. Even with a 2 channel sequence, an audio and video channel, those pauses are evident and are even more so when there are several channels and transitions etc. Now, in those situations, I have been using an up-to-date desktop system for the time, and the pauses were there, just not as long as what you are experiencing. Now, I have no idea how to fix this problem apart from suggesting an upgrade to a workstation with a dedicated graphics accelerator like Nvidia's Tesla cards but as you explained, thats not for you. So, like I said above, there isnt much you can do about it apart from viewing your previews at a lower "quality" or resolution. I hope this helps not that it has i dont think ><
Intel Core i7 3930K, Gigabyte x79-UD5, 16GB Corsair Vengence RAM, EVGA 670GTX, 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, 3 x 1TB Hitachi HDD, LG BD-DVD Optical Drive, Corsair TX 750 PSU, CoolerMaster Hyper 412s HSF, CoolerMaster Cosmos II Tower.

#3 RenascentMisanthropy

RenascentMisanthropy

Apple Strudel

• Atomican
  • 9,472 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

Cheers for the reply mate. I'll just keep plodding along for now I guess :D
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy things you can be happy with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users