• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 disolusiond

disolusiond

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

So my collectors copy of M2TW was stolen from the back of my car when I was moving into my current apartment about 4 years ago. Cunts! Annnnnnnnnnyway. I bought it again yesterday with the Kingdoms expansion on Steam for $15. Was very excited as it's my favorite Total War title and I got all excited at the thought of having a good 2 day session, for once with all the graphics and unit size options maxed out. My old rig just wouldn't cut it when I used to play. My excitement quickly faded when, after I installed and started it up, it would only run in a window right in the center of the screen, regardless of the settings. It's not actually in a window, just centered in the middle of the screen. Got my Google on and found that this is a common problem when running it on Windows 7. The apparent solution is to run it in XP mode. So I go to download the virtual PC from Microsoft and BAM, it wont work with Win 7 Home Premium, only Professional and above. FUCK! Why did I buy Home Premium like a asshole? WHY??!! I really don't want to spend $200 upgrading to Professional so I can play a $15 game. Anyone have any other suggestions on how I can get this thing running on my version of Win 7? Anyone at all?

#2 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 11,930 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

OK.. Can you run in Windows XP COMPATIBILTY mode? (in the properties of the icon) Next: 64 bit or 32 bit windows? Have you updated The game to latest version (apparently v1.03 is meant to be Win7 compatible, but v1.00 isn't) AD
I can make my own woggle! Bet you can't woggle yours.

#3 disolusiond

disolusiond

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

64 bit Oh, and I tried XP compatibility mode and it did the same thing. And the game is fully updated. Edit; or is it? I'll go check that when I get back from the shops. I downloaded it on Steam, so I'm assuming it's been fully updated.

Edited by disolusiond, 16 April 2012 - 02:58 PM.

#4 NukeJockey

NukeJockey

Titan

• Hero
  • 23,615 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

Weird, I haven't had any issues running it on Win7 x64 professional on my rig. So I'm guessing the usual fixes don't work? running with the -fullscreen switch, pressing alt + enter etc.?
My Rig: ASUS P67 Sabretooth | i5 2500k w/ Corsair H80 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaw-X 1866mhz | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X| NZXT Phantom | Corsair HX850

#5 disolusiond

disolusiond

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

I've found the problem, I think. Apparently in the Medieval II Steam version the launcher dose not connect to the internet. This leaves me to download the patches myself. The Fuck???!!! I checked and the launch window is indeed not connected to the internet. Does this sound right? Surely there must be something that can be done. I can download the patches myself, but I don't fucking want to. Why, Steam?? WHY???!!! I love it but it can be an absolute cunt of a thing at times, this being one of them. Makes no sense.

#6 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 11,930 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

hehehe. Fair enough.. Did a quick google.. This is going to sound ridiculous.. But someone had some success by renaming the executable to 'launcher.exe'.. From their, updating it (For some reason, it worked) then renaming it back.. COULD BE VERY WRONG.. This sounded like someone that had no clue.. I don't have the game, it just worked for them.. :P AD
I can make my own woggle! Bet you can't woggle yours.

#7 disolusiond

disolusiond

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

Thanks AD. I'll look into that for myself. Just seems like a strange problem. Like why? Why would the launcher ( which is where it updates from ) not connect to the net? I'd just go play Shogun II. Not as good tho imo :(

Edited by disolusiond, 16 April 2012 - 04:23 PM.

#8 Chuck Norris(good actor

Chuck Norris(good actor

Titan

• Hero
  • 32,237 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

That launcher net window thing happens to my mate... and he's running XP. Also the "settings" button doesn't work on it either... Plus sometimes... it crashes, just the launcher... Which makes me think, it's just the launcher, I don't think SEGA even runs a page for it anymore... which may be a source of grief for it.. Anyway, some people have said delete the "launcher.exe" and rename the "MTW2.exe" to "launcher.exe"....
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed."

#9 disolusiond

disolusiond

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

Which makes me think, it's just the launcher, I don't think SEGA even runs a page for it anymore... which may be a source of grief for it..

I actually thought of that late last night. It's 6 years old now and there have been 2 more TW games since, so it makes sense.

I did get it running in full screen last night, too. Had to reinstall the expansion, which is where all the patches are, then it was all good. Yay, castles!

#10 Chuck Norris(good actor

Chuck Norris(good actor

Titan

• Hero
  • 32,237 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

I can't install TW games TBH, they're magical time sinks where all your time goes and then you realise you're shitloads behind in what you need to do... but a badarse conqueror nonetheless... which is at least a small consolation.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users