• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 TheFrunj

TheFrunj

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 14,177 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

Planning on buying this box to chuck the power board into, which I'll mount to the underside of my desk:

Posted Image
http://www.4cabling....arge-Black.html

Problem is that the dimensions of the box suggest it is not high enough - I use a Watts Clever Energy Saving Standby Control Socket wireless power switch kit* for turning off a light and another for my accessories (eg monitor, speakers, amp, etc). There is however enough length in the box - about another 8cm - in which I could potentially lie those two wireless switch units down to fit it all in the box.

So does anyone know where to buy a very short extension cable ~10cm to plug two devices into an awkward place? I would need two cables, one for each device.

Alternatively a right-angled power adapter may work but I am having trouble finding one that adapts from Australian to Australian power plug. So like this, not IEC:

Posted Image

Anyone know the legality of making my own power cable with bits from Jaycar? Or is this pretty much fine?

*It comes with three adapters, and I use the third to control another powerboard with xbox360/wii/room fan elsewhere in the room.
"TheFrunj doesn't guess, when he forms words with his lips, the world will Warp and change to do his bidding." - Shikimaru No longer writing for Atomic :( http://forums.atomic...showtopic=49899

#2 discoInferno

discoInferno

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

Anyone know the legality of making my own power cable with bits from Jaycar? Or is this pretty much fine?

I haven't looked around enough yet to be able to offer you any sort of solution, but in response to this bit, if it's 240V you need to be licensed.
Intel Core i5 3570K | NZXT Havik 140 | Asus P8Z77-M Pro | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL | Asus GTX670 DCU2 | Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD | Hitachi Deskstar 2TB HDD | Corsair AX-650 | Silverstone FT03B | Lite-On DL-4ETS Slot Load Slim Blu-ray | Apple Aluminium Keyboard | Logitech G5 | Dell U2412M

#3 jdm_com_au

jdm_com_au

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 307 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

In VIC, you need a license if you work on FIXED appliances, such as a stove, wall mounted switches etc. For an extension lead or portable device (hair dryer, TV etc.), you can legally DIY. 240V can bite hard if you get it wrong.

#4 TheFrunj

TheFrunj

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 14,177 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

Cool, a friend's dad reckons it's ok for extension cables too.

Plug:
http://jaycar.com.au...UBCATID=1001#12
Socket:
http://jaycar.com.au...UBCATID=1001#12
Cable:
http://jaycar.com.au...;SUBCATID=995#1

Then I have to dig out my soldering iron (no idea where that's wound up) and have a crack at it. Should be relatively easy, just slide some heatshrink over the cable to keep it in place.

This site seems to explain the active, neutral and ground leads well enough.

Thanks again!
"TheFrunj doesn't guess, when he forms words with his lips, the world will Warp and change to do his bidding." - Shikimaru No longer writing for Atomic :( http://forums.atomic...showtopic=49899

#5 TheFrunj

TheFrunj

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 14,177 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

Apologies in advance for the double post, but I've solved this issue without spending any more money.

Decided against buying the cable box as it didn't have mounting holes and the lid would've fallen off (it doesn't clasp on, just sits there), so swapped out my surge/powerboard for a model that had mounting holes.

Screwed two ~1cm wood screws to the underside of my desk (with a tiny pilot hole and sheet of paper used as my stencil), strapped all the heavy/loose components down with cable ties, then hung the board. Fits great and my feet no longer get caught up in cables :D

Posted Image

Also saves all the stuffing around with soldering my own cables, which is fiddly and another expense I'd rather avoid.

I've even cable-tied my keyboard/mouse cables to the powerboard to keep them out of the way when the tray slides in/out. Small thing, but it makes it more comfortable by far :)

#6 discoInferno

discoInferno

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:11 AM

I presume there'll be a big write up about this in the next issue? Desk mods... Atomic style? :P
Intel Core i5 3570K | NZXT Havik 140 | Asus P8Z77-M Pro | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL | Asus GTX670 DCU2 | Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD | Hitachi Deskstar 2TB HDD | Corsair AX-650 | Silverstone FT03B | Lite-On DL-4ETS Slot Load Slim Blu-ray | Apple Aluminium Keyboard | Logitech G5 | Dell U2412M

#7 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Apprentice

• Hero
  • 11,833 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

Umm.. Frunj.. just one thing.. Why would you need a soldering iron? 240V is mechanical connection only. In fact, it's a legal requirement. In the event of a fault, the wire can get hot enough to melt solder, this means any connection (Earth or active being the worst to lose of course) could come loose. Mechanical connection prevents this issue. So.. It should have been: Plug, socket, lead, electricians pliers and electricians phillip head screwdriver. AD
I can make my own woggle! Bet you can't woggle yours.

#8 TheFrunj

TheFrunj

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 14,177 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

I presume there'll be a big write up about this in the next issue? Desk mods... Atomic style? :P

Dunno, is there a demand for such an article? Happy to write one if so!

Umm.. Frunj.. just one thing.. Why would you need a soldering iron? 240V is mechanical connection only. In fact, it's a legal requirement.

In the event of a fault, the wire can get hot enough to melt solder, this means any connection (Earth or active being the worst to lose of course) could come loose. Mechanical connection prevents this issue.

So.. It should have been: Plug, socket, lead, electricians pliers and electricians phillip head screwdriver.

AD

That uh, would be my 240V noobness. I'm comfortable with DC but I don't have much experience with AC wiring. Probably a good thing I didn't do the cable idea then!

#9 mudg3

mudg3

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Next issue. RIP TheFrunj: House burns down killing him and entire family. I recently bought myself a THOR power board which I have up under IKEA Jerker desk.
3930K ||Corsair H110 || ASUS Rampage IV ||16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3@1877mhz||ATI 7970||250gb Samsung 840||2x4tb||DELL2711||Corsair 650D|| ASUS Essence STX ||Audio Engine A2's||Aiaiai:TMA-1||Enermax 1050w|| Atomics resident filth

#10 TheFrunj

TheFrunj

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 14,177 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

Haha... surprised it hasn't happened yet. Years ago I was modding some LEDs into an old Antec case, and accidentally shorted a wire against the steel chassis. Made some sparks and the PSU wasn't a great model so didn't really stop... luckily I yanked it out of the wall before anything caught fire. PSU died, but the rest of the system worked just fine - even the LEDs as it shorted before them! :D Also that's one super over-engineered power board. Holy shit. Why'd you invest in one of those?

#11 codecreeper

codecreeper

Charge

• Atomican
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

Ok there is something about that box is kinda worrying. As PC user you would have powerpack's in this box also which emit heat after a while ,this box has no ventilation and may cause the safety switch on your powerboard to turn off frequently. You also said something about a small extension ,why not just make a longer cord up ? These are just a couple of issues i could see may need to be addressed.
You only live life once so get off that computer and enjoy it.

#12 Dasa

Dasa

Apprentice

• Super Hero
  • 14,226 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

mounted a 8 plug power board under our office bench recently the desk is now neater but there is still a mass of wires just there a bit more hidden now still need to mount the 8 port switch and router that are both dangling from the roof but someones run of with the step ladder and we need some of those plastic covers for wire holes drilled in the bench at the moment mice have been using it is a freeway
2600k@4.8GHz 1.38v - Z77-GENE - 2x4g 1600 8-9-8 - 7970 1150\7000MHz 1.15v - OCZ Synapse 120g Seagate 2tb - Seasonic XP1000 - Dell U2711 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Storm G5 - MCW60 - EK-VGA HF - MCP355 XSPC Restop - PA120.4 - Scythe GT 4x120 1440/1850rpm http://i3.photobucke...sa09/z77rog.jpg

#13 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Apprentice

• Hero
  • 11,833 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

There you go Frunj.. An article for Atomic. I bet there is more than 1 method of 'tidying cables'. Rate them. From the old zip tie, through to professional cable management solutions.. And... GO! AD
I can make my own woggle! Bet you can't woggle yours.

#14 TheFrunj

TheFrunj

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 14,177 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

Ok there is something about that box is kinda worrying. As PC user you would have powerpack's in this box also which emit heat after a while ,this box has no ventilation and may cause the safety switch on your powerboard to turn off frequently.

Firstly, problem solved as I posted :P Secondly, the box does have ventilation in the form of the holes that allow cables to enter and exit. I don't think power bricks will make enough heat to cause that many headaches and aside from the Watts Clever boxes there are only power cables in that board, I have very few power bricks at my desk - they're elsewhere in the room and house for routers and phones etc.

mounted a 8 plug power board under our office bench recently
the desk is now neater but there is still a mass of wires just there a bit more hidden now
still need to mount the 8 port switch and router that are both dangling from the roof but someones run of with the step ladder

Lol, what are they doing dangling from the roof? XD You should check this out, looks alright if you've got enough depth in the desk or room next to it:
http://www.decluttered.com/

There you go Frunj.. An article for Atomic.

I bet there is more than 1 method of 'tidying cables'.

Rate them.

Yes sir :P

I'm already working on a feature for something else, but I'll consider that when I've run out of things to do!

#15 mudg3

mudg3

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

Also that's one super over-engineered power board. Holy shit. Why'd you invest in one of those?

Watched one get struck by lightening and still work. Warranty is great you tell them its broken and go sure our products don't break we will send you another you will have it tomorrow and we will pick up the bad unit. $200 power board powering my rig and $200 power board powering my rack with around 6k of gear in it.

Im not skimping on shitty boards. I've been through 2 of those Belkin 8 ports both died and heat seemed to be an issue. Belkin wont honor the warranty because it only resets sometimes and only does it when drawing over 800w on a board thats rated to do 1500w.

Belkin can get fucked.

http://thortechnolog...-smart-filter-8 << Good product , great service and friendly everyone knows what they are talking about. Will get my money every time.

Edited by mudg3, 18 April 2012 - 08:07 PM.

3930K ||Corsair H110 || ASUS Rampage IV ||16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3@1877mhz||ATI 7970||250gb Samsung 840||2x4tb||DELL2711||Corsair 650D|| ASUS Essence STX ||Audio Engine A2's||Aiaiai:TMA-1||Enermax 1050w|| Atomics resident filth

#16 Dasa

Dasa

Apprentice

• Super Hero
  • 14,226 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

mounted a 8 plug power board under our office bench recently
the desk is now neater but there is still a mass of wires just there a bit more hidden now
still need to mount the 8 port switch and router that are both dangling from the roof but someones run of with the step ladder

Lol, what are they doing dangling from the roof? XD You should check this out, looks alright if you've got enough depth in the desk or room next to it:
http://www.decluttered.com/

well there is a few reasons
with wireless net i was able to shorten the antenna cable which lead to a fairly large improvement to signal strength
our roof is a bugger of a place to try to rout wires threw and even worse to get them down walls so it was easier for me to just put the panel in the roof
and the added bonus it clears room on the desk although the original plan was to make another little shelf near the roof for them i think il just screw them to the wall
Posted Image
Posted Image
yes one of those lovely belkin surge protectors although normally connected to a apc smart 620 ups its currently not working im hoping its just a battery that prevents it from starting
2600k@4.8GHz 1.38v - Z77-GENE - 2x4g 1600 8-9-8 - 7970 1150\7000MHz 1.15v - OCZ Synapse 120g Seagate 2tb - Seasonic XP1000 - Dell U2711 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Storm G5 - MCW60 - EK-VGA HF - MCP355 XSPC Restop - PA120.4 - Scythe GT 4x120 1440/1850rpm http://i3.photobucke...sa09/z77rog.jpg

#17 discoInferno

discoInferno

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

i think il just screw them to the wall

Have you thought about trying these picture hanging strips? They're kinda like velcro, and I use them to stick all sorts of things to the wall. A few strips on the device, a few strips on the wall and BAM mounting complete. When you need to move it, they come off easy too.

Edited by discoInferno, 18 April 2012 - 11:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users