• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sociopath

sociopath

Titan

• Quark
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

So official NBN training is about to take off. I understand some pilot groups went through an NBN safety induction training program, with training organisations who are approved by NBNCo getting ready to offer the training on a commercial level. The minimum training required will be the NBN Safety Awareness course - which is essentially the standard construction industry 'White Card' with an NBN flavour to it. Then progressively, NBN will be releasing to the approved training providers - the NBNCo written technical training in FTTH, installing NTD's, MDU cabling and all the other dirty work... Is this something of interest to people within Atomic?
Hey hey...

#2 aliali

aliali

Learner

• Super Hero
  • 23,539 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

Well derr of course it is.
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

#3 p0is0n

p0is0n

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

Depends, how much does it pay? :)
i7 2600k | Z68A-GD80 | 8GB RAM | CF 7970 | 120GB SSD | 1kW PSU | Butchered Case | Water Cooling | U2713H HP N40L | 16GB RAM | 7x WD 2TB | Ubuntu | ZFS

#4 smadge1

smadge1

Learner

• Atomican
  • 25,229 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

fibre techs can charge a pretty penny. but their gear is horribly expensive, so they probably don't make much profits. NBN Co probably only hire independent contractors, much like Telstra.
Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#5 AIMBOT

AIMBOT

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

fibre techs can charge a pretty penny. but their gear is horribly expensive, so they probably don't make much profits.

Back when I was learning how to splice and terminate fibre, the trainer had close to $50k worth of kit in his truck. He worked for a company we used a lot for terminations, but based on what we were paying them, an independent contractor could pull $2k/day. There was no shortage of work for them either.
Too long didn't read.

#6 Snoochems

Snoochems

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 9,248 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

fibre techs can charge a pretty penny. but their gear is horribly expensive, so they probably don't make much profits.

Back when I was learning how to splice and terminate fibre, the trainer had close to $50k worth of kit in his truck. He worked for a company we used a lot for terminations, but based on what we were paying them, an independent contractor could pull $2k/day. There was no shortage of work for them either.

I would say $50k is quite low. We have an OTDR at work, and it cost about $30 itself. Then there is all the rest... the fusing splicer kits, electronic microscopes, long distance light pens, and all the little bits and pieces.

Awful work though. I was working with a crew splicing and terminating fibre. Would drive me mad.

#7 twents

twents

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 624 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

cant you terminate fibre by using a permant marker and putting a black "dot" on the end?
BF3 name: FREEZINBONES Battletag (WoW D3): FREEZIN#1668 Steam: FREEZINBONES 2500k @ 4.6, 7970 @ 1150/1650, HX750, P8p67 pro, Sandisk/Patriot SSD/Ram, Xonar DG N40L, z2300's, desklamp, mousepad, old shit desk.

#8 p0is0n

p0is0n

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:16 AM

apparently in WA you need to be a sparkie to do this kind of work, so I guess that's out..
i7 2600k | Z68A-GD80 | 8GB RAM | CF 7970 | 120GB SSD | 1kW PSU | Butchered Case | Water Cooling | U2713H HP N40L | 16GB RAM | 7x WD 2TB | Ubuntu | ZFS

#9 Antraman

Antraman

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:42 AM

so are we going to see another home insulation scandal, with dodgy installers popping up and becoming NBN techs doing half assed jobs and leaving customers with less than adequate connections.....?
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us...

#10 aliali

aliali

Learner

• Super Hero
  • 23,539 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

so are we going to see another home insulation scandal, with dodgy installers popping up and becoming NBN techs doing half assed jobs and leaving customers with less than adequate connections.....?

Shouldn't as NBNCo seem to be pretty on top of it all so far, but there is likely to be some that will slip through the cracks I suppose.
Also with fibre it should either work or not work, no in between.
There is also specific NBN supplied hardware to be installed for the NBN connection with the only variable being customer side equipment like routers.
This I think will be the biggest issue, with people buying cheap and nasty routers that can only handle 20 or so Mbit on the WAN port. Not an issue if you only have a 12/1 or 25/5 NBN connection, but a major issue if you get a 50/20 or 100/40 plan.
Most likely scams and dodgy practices are people claiming the can make your house "NBN ready", and do a couple of nasty ethernet runs and charge top dollar for it.
But this happens anyway with half arsed and un-certified network installs. There was a thread with photos a while ago in networking that showed how bad a network installations can be (can't find it ATM).
Often see a few on Whirlpool as well, and not related to the NBN in particular.
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

#11 Caelum

Caelum

Learner

• Hero
  • 16,997 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

apparently in WA you need to be a sparkie to do this kind of work, so I guess that's out..

Fuck man.. You're wrong, i'm afraid.

Not the first time you've been wrong regards to sparkies or similar topics either.

There used to be a FAQ rule which went along the lines of "Know what you're talking about, or shut up."

Not sure if it exists still or not, but i suggest you give it a try.
6hax

#12 Harro2

Harro2

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 561 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

Wow! Thats a bit harsh mate. If you know differently enlighten us with your knowledge. Any ways, Im interested in learning more about NBN, hoping to get it by the end of this year or early next year, can't wait. Sociopath, how did you get into it? Was it though TAFE or work? I think it would be a good skills to get for life with plenty of work opertunities for you.
Gday from WA

#13 Caelum

Caelum

Learner

• Hero
  • 16,997 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:34 PM

Harsh... sure.

Like i said though, it isn't the first time he's said something incorrect, with the authority of someone in the know.

Anyone with an Open cablers registration is able to legally work on a telecomms network of almost any type(not getting into the legality of whose network you can work on, ownership, etc... so lets assume you have authority/etc).

A registered cabler can even do earthing, as long as the earthing doesn't terminate to an electrical switchboard, or similar.

Typically, the NBN related companies are asking more an more for someone with Cert3 in telecommunications before considering employing you. ie, they want someone with OR(open reg), along with endorsements in structured cabling(cat5/cat6/etc), fibre optics, and coax.

As per the other thread going on about this topic at the moment, this is going to become a legal requirement from all new registrations from 1st July 2012 onwards. Those who already have OR, have 2 years to get these 3 endorsements. One you've got your OR, along with all 3 endorsements, you may as well have your Cert3 anyway, there's about 10 hours of 'online' modules left to do, and you've got cert3 in telecomms.

Very unlikely. Anyone doing NBNCo contractor work will be certified as required. That means at least they'll KNOW how to do the job properly. Fibre is pretty picky with its terminations... But it's quite easy to get right. Splicing fibre isn't difficult, you just need to follow some simple sanitary requirements, regarding dust/etc. I don't think i've had a splice with more than 0.04dB loss... typically 0.02 on a normal splice.

That said, there are always lazy people out there doing customer side wiring, and those saying they're registered cablers when they really aren't. Most people dont know that you can check to see if someone is registered or not. It's dead easy. I've just checked someone who told me they were a reg'd cabler the other day... they're not on any of the cabling registrars in australia, that's for sure.

Edited by Caelum, 07 May 2012 - 11:36 PM.

6hax

#14 p0is0n

p0is0n

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

Well thanks for your honesty and clarification Caelum, I do tend to post stupid shit some times.

Edited by p0is0n, 09 May 2012 - 03:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users