• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 TheFrunj

TheFrunj

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,277 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

After 46 issues, my time at Atomic comes to a close.

This was not an easy decision, but it was a decision that I had to make for personal reasons - in other words it's not you guys, it's me.

What started as the dream job for an 18 year old quickly ballooned into the start of a potential career as a pro Journalist. In my time at the magazine I have had the opportunity to do many things that thought I would never, including many trips overseas, interviewing celebrities, and getting my hands on hardware that I would not have otherwise been able to afford.

I kept most of my raw magazine files organised by issue, which has allowed me to collect the word counts and present them as the wonderful graphs you see below (odd things like section intros, some gearbox pages, other bits of typing that I didn’t wind up saving are sadly not included). Though most of my close friends and family know what happened to me, I don't feel that it is appropriate to share the full story with the world. However, you can probably tell when it happened from the below (keep in mind that this is just the magazine work, and is not the work that I did for the website, PC Authority, or Kitlog online).

Posted Image

An average word per Issue in my first year was 11,430. Of course in practice this wasn’t the amount I wrote every single month, due to researching features and other bits and pieces (such as events and travel). Second year I managed to up that by only a handful, hitting 11,606wpy.

Then uh, my averages dropped a bit to 1,494 and 2,043 for the other two years. Not for lack of trying though, let me tell you!

Posted Image

And another graph, because we all know that you love them so much! In my first year I wrote 137,161 words. My second year was again slightly better at 139,270 words written for the magazine. My third year was 17,926, and the almost-fourth year was 24,516.

Number geeks can see a copy of the excel file containing this data here (hosted on Dropbox, because it’s wonderful (referral to sign up and give me more Db space here)), with a shout-out to the dev of CountAnything that automagically counted the files for me, and I hope this gives some kind of insight into the amount of writing we tech journos get up to.

I'd like to thank Haymarket Media Australia for taking a chance on hiring me and being so supportive during my time on the mag. I’ll always have a special place on my C: drive for Atomic.

Though I am no longer working for the magazine (Thursday 31 May is my last day), I am sure I will still continue to contribute to the community. And this does not rule out the potential of future freelance work!

But for now, I will be concentrating on improving my health and, eventually, my full return to form.
"TheFrunj doesn't guess, when he forms words with his lips, the world will Warp and change to do his bidding." - Shikimaru No longer writing for Atomic :( http://forums.atomic...showtopic=49899

#2 G-relk

G-relk

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

Woah, sad to see you go man, but hopefully some time away from the mag will allow you to recover your health a bit faster. I'm sure we will see some freelance stuff from you in the future :)
Rig: 2500K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, Asrock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3, 2 x 6970 2GB, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Corsair Neutron 240GB Case: Modded Fractal Design Define XL Loop: XSPC EX360, XSPC EX120, XSPC Raystorm, 2 x XSPC Razor's, Koolance PMP-400

#3 Craig Simms

Craig Simms

Primarch

• Hero
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

Wishing you a recovery to full flying form Justin. Thank you for your effort over the years!
It's running with a smile, it's better than the last time that I tried...

#4 hectorbustnuts

hectorbustnuts

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 30,444 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

I was kinda waiting for this day to come. I really hope your health improves more rapidly without work compounding things.

#5 PointZeroOne

PointZeroOne

Crash Test Dummy

• Atomican
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

The magazine isn't worth reading now..... Best of luck with your future work things. Of course we'll still see you around here, so it's not a proper goodbye. Will they change your title to Fallen God?

AzpUvwG.png - @PointZeroOne
PSN - PointZeroOne-AI
icon_steam.gif - PointZeroOne

uplay - PointZeroOne-AI

#6 NukeJockey

NukeJockey

Titan

• Hero
  • 23,625 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

Hey Justin, With what you're going through, I'm proud you were able to stick it out as long as you did, I hope that this new chance for you to focus more on your health really helps. I hope you stick around the forums, you were a member here before you started working for Haymarket! I'll miss your writing style man.
My Rig: ASUS P67 Sabretooth | i5 2500k w/ Corsair H80 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaw-X 1866mhz | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X| NZXT Phantom | Corsair HX850

#7 Gharphield

Gharphield

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 30,070 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

Sad face :( Loved your effort mate, I really did. Best of luck in the future yeah?
You shoulda tapped

#8 mudg3

mudg3

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

Hey Justin,

With what you're going through, I'm proud you were able to stick it out as long as you did, I hope that this new chance for you to focus more on your health really helps.

I hope you stick around the forums, you were a member here before you started working for Haymarket!

I'll miss your writing style man.

Yep this, loved reading your articles, Make sure you stick around and finish off that system you were building a so long ago but never ended up finishing and stick around to keep these tech sections alive.
3930K ||Corsair H110 || ASUS Rampage IV ||16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3@1877mhz||ATI 7970||250gb Samsung 840||2x4tb||DELL2711||Corsair 650D|| ASUS Essence STX ||Audio Engine A2's||Aiaiai:TMA-1||Enermax 1050w|| Atomics resident filth

#9 sora3

sora3

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,895 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! That means no more wonderful talking about tech at random meets. God speed Justin. :)

Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz/Asus X370 Prime/Corsair DDR4 3000 16GB @ 2932(!)/Gigabyte R9 290/WD Green M2 240GB/Bitfenix Shinobi/Noctua NH-D14/Corsair HX-750

Camera rig: Sony Alpha a77/Sony DT 16-50mm f2.8 SSM/Sony DT 16-105mm f3.5-5.6/Tammy 70-200mm f2.8/Sony DT 50mm f1.8/Sony HVL F42AM Flash

#10 fredzfrog

fredzfrog

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

Best of luck mate.. :) hope you left the keys to the facebook page to david with clear instructions to feed us regularly. :D
Increases your chance of love by 75.3%

#11 SacrificialNewt

SacrificialNewt

Titan

• Hero
  • 16,547 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

Get well, Frunj!

#12 Girvo

Girvo

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

:( :( :( Get better asap, and cheers for the hard work over the years
brains: NO U R RONG N00B VISTA IS 4 N00BZ N LINUX IS HIPPIE SHIT

#13 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,197 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

Justin has been, without a doubt, one of the best people I've ever worked with. I really can't think of anything else to say. You'll be missed.

aka David Hollingworth, Digital Editor - Atomic, Hyper, PC & Tech Authority, PC PowerPlay "Hawkeyes pants were like the pants of a deity. Touching them I was in sudden communion with all of pantskind. The ancestral trouser crawling from the murk of time, the fierce battle pant scourging the infidel, the quiet meditation of the monks pants at dawn." - Hlass

#14 Myra`Jai

Myra`Jai

Champion

• Atomican
  • 7,396 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

Time out to heal can only be a good thing *huggles* be well :)
"Our cookies will often crumble into the bittersweet coffee of life, but the only way to respond is to keep dunking..." - Kimmo

#15 mudg3

mudg3

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

brb walking Justin from the building with his tub full of random cables and broken GPU's.
3930K ||Corsair H110 || ASUS Rampage IV ||16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3@1877mhz||ATI 7970||250gb Samsung 840||2x4tb||DELL2711||Corsair 650D|| ASUS Essence STX ||Audio Engine A2's||Aiaiai:TMA-1||Enermax 1050w|| Atomics resident filth

#16 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,197 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

Oh, and Justin's last feature for the mag, in issue 138, is an epic piece, and fitting send off.

aka David Hollingworth, Digital Editor - Atomic, Hyper, PC & Tech Authority, PC PowerPlay "Hawkeyes pants were like the pants of a deity. Touching them I was in sudden communion with all of pantskind. The ancestral trouser crawling from the murk of time, the fierce battle pant scourging the infidel, the quiet meditation of the monks pants at dawn." - Hlass

#17 TheFrunj

TheFrunj

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,277 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for the well wishes all ^_^

The magazine isn't worth reading now.....

Honestly I don't agree, Atomic has and will continue to have some of the finest tech writers around - Jake Carroll, Ashton Mills, Dan Rutter, plus the fulltime staff of Matt Wilson, John Gillooly...the list goes on. The mag will still shine, trust me :)

Make sure you stick around and finish off that system you were building a so long ago but never ended up finishing and stick around to keep these tech sections alive.

Yeah, I really hope I'll have the energy to do something with it now. It's still in pieces in a box next to my bed.

hope you left the keys to the facebook page to david with clear instructions to feed us regularly. :D

Sure did, he's been an admin for a while, so the page still has a zookeeper :P

brb walking Justin from the building with his tub full of random cables and broken GPU's.

They threw out most of my dead GPUs when they moved the labs :'( Still got my random tangled cables though, I can spend my newfound free time untangling them!

Oh, and Justin's last feature for the mag, in issue 138, is an epic piece, and fitting send off.

Thanks DH! I think readers will like that one :)
"TheFrunj doesn't guess, when he forms words with his lips, the world will Warp and change to do his bidding." - Shikimaru No longer writing for Atomic :( http://forums.atomic...showtopic=49899

#18 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,693 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

It's been a journey man, and I think we're all better for it. Certainly hope you're up for bigger and better things now. (Some guy tipped me off yesterday!)
Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#19 TheFrunj

TheFrunj

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,277 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

Certainly hope you're up for bigger and better things now.

(Some guy tipped me off yesterday!)

Well, not now, but hopefully later :)

I have an inkling as to who - guessing it's WHS2011 related. Bit unfortunate I couldn't get that tute done :(

#20 Catmosphere

Catmosphere

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

End of an era. I sincerely hope your health gets better, and when it does, watch out techno journo world :P

"Sometimes when you're in a dark place you think you've been buried. But actually you've been planted"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users