• Please log in to reply
20816 replies to this topic

#20301 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:15 PM

but but that implies that kids that do misbehave are natural.

umm, you haven't had kids, have you ?

i'm not implying it... i'm reporting reality

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#20302 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,714 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:05 PM

http://www.abc.net.a...-africa/9326034

Trump sure knows how NOT to make friends

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

"We have some of the most beautiful hookers in the world" - Putin to Trump

#20303 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:29 PM

Since when is it racist to call a country a shithole?

Really it's a storm in a teacup, it was supposed to be a private meeting.  No doubt thousands of politicians around the world have made worse remarks about other countries over the ages.

#20304 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,758 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:52 PM

but but that implies that kids that do misbehave are natural.

umm, you haven't had kids, have you ?

No. I chose not to re-produce :)

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#20305 Outcast_Aussie

Outcast_Aussie

Overlord

• Hero
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:16 PM

Really it's a storm in a teacup, it was supposed to be a private meeting.  No doubt thousands of politicians around the world have made worse remarks about other countries over the ages.

Indeed.

Raheem Kassam tells it like it is and calls Londonistan a Shithole too.
http://www.breitbart...ondon-shithole/

Edited by Outcast_Aussie, 13 January 2018 - 10:17 PM.

#20306 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,714 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:42 AM

HAWAII IS GONNA GET NUKED. Nope, some idiot hit the wrong button

http://www.abc.net.a...e-alarm/9327562

An emergency alert was sent mistakenly to Hawaii's residents warning of an imminent ballistic missile attack when an employee at the state emergency management agency pushed the "wrong button," Hawaii's Governor said.

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

#20307 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,375 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:22 AM

You can call people cunts and places shitholes. Leaders of countries are meant to be slightly more diplomatic. Kind of like how some of our pollies got in trouble for laughing at pacific island nations being flooded by global warming, while on a hot mic.

Judging from some reading on Haiti's history, tho', it'd be more like our PM calling East Timor and PNG shitholes, after we've done our part to make them that way, but without taking any blame for the matter.
It's also a little amusing, wondering why people from countries with worse systems want to go to the US, but not more from countries with much better systems.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#20308 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:25 AM

From what I gather it was supposed to have been a private meeting.

PNG was a German territory which we inherited after WW1... from what I've heard it was better off in the early 70s than 10 years later when independent.

The only thing detrimental towards E Timor was the gap treaty with Indonesia where the oil was shared.

It's time these countries took responsibility for their own plights.  It's not like most of them have huge foreign debt either - a common myth being that every 3rd world nation has huge defecits.

#20309 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,375 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:28 AM

https://www.washingt...iti-a-shithole/ Haiti's been invaded and deposed a fair few times. Countries promising money to fix problems they introduces like to not pay up. Which part of that is the problem for some Haitian in the street, dying of cholera, to take responsibility for?
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#20310 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:31 AM

Additional to that, Trump has every right to complain about misuse of aid money.  These countries have received billions over the years and much of it is squandered and little of it ever reaches the people.  And the eligibility for recipients should be reviewed... FFS, we give aid to Indonesia, where's the logic in that?  Instead of building infrastructure it gets diverted to such things as purchasing Su-27 class aircraft.

(Haiti) - I don't take any responsibility.

I'm not an American politician.  I'm not an American.  My opinion on the place one way or the other doesn't make me responsible or otherwise for it's history.

It's twisted logic to deduce otherwise.  If I call my neighbour's car a heap of shit, that doesn't mean it's my fault and I have to contribute towards him buying another one.

Edited by Rybags, 14 January 2018 - 11:33 AM.

#20311 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,375 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:37 AM

It's twisted logic to think you should be taking responsibility for Haiti, just because someone pointed out its fucked up history.

#20312 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:42 AM

Misread your post... but the general opinion of plenty does seem to be that the ordinary western citizen should shoulder the burden of fixing these crapholes.

And once again, I don't see a problem with what Trump says in a private setting.  Sure, the bloke's beligerant and has a repugnant personality.  But he's their elected President.  Sections of the media just take pleasure in nitpicking the slightest nuances that'd go unnoticed with anyone else.  It's getting pretty old pretty fast.

#20313 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,375 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:17 PM

That's what the combination of hyperpartisanship and social media enables: there's always someone that doesn't like someone else and is ready to jump on anything they say, with an instant large audience. It's been decades since the US had a leader a supermajority rallied around, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Edited by Nich..., 14 January 2018 - 12:17 PM.

#20314 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,714 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:43 PM

If trump stopped using twitter to post his random thoughts, we wouldn't have this problem.

Covfete everyone

#20315 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,714 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:01 PM

https://youtu.be/5X-x5KtE9mg

Wonder if us Aussies will get this system in future?

#20316 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,758 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:09 PM

If trump stopped using twitter to post his random thoughts, we wouldn't have this problem.

LOL. Why shouldn't the guy have an equal chance at creating media frenzy ? :P ... most of it ( imo, all of it ) is purely to inspire the opposition to take offence. Like Rybags said ..." It's getting pretty old pretty fast." ... it's all just white noise now :)

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#20317 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:54 PM

We do have such systems, generally for weather, bushfire and natural disaster events and warnings.  I've seen a few of them on TV.

There's automated SMS as well, not sure how widespread it is and if it goes to everyone or only subscribers or to certain carriers.

#20318 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,714 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:11 PM

Newcastle having bushfire issues

#20319 zaskar

zaskar

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:31 PM

I miss my guitar, all six of them.

oF aLl ThE ThInGs i HaVe lOsT i MiSs mY MiNd ThE MoSt!

#20320 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 18,021 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:10 PM

coat-1-bbc-625x352.jpg

Never be cruel, never be cowardly. And never ever eat pears! Remember – hate is always foolish…and love, is always wise.

Always try, to be nice and never fail to be kind.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users