#20421 strifus

strifus

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:54 PM

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

51fd6d40-2abd-4a58-9e24-7ac72fd4fbde.png

5,790 shootings in the US this year already.

Going back to an earlier post, the thing that most Americans are afraid of is, dying in an airplane.  When talking about it, and there are a lot of near misses and incursions, most would say that they would want better regulation of the air industry to make things safe while they would not support more regulation in the area of gun-controls.  As a side-note, the 2nd Amendment of the US constitutions definition has changed a lot of the last hundred years.  Go figure.

Edited by strifus, 12 February 2018 - 06:59 PM.

Intel Core i7 3930K, Gigabyte x79-UD5, 16GB Corsair Vengence RAM, Gainward 1070GTX, 256GB Samsung 850 EVO, 3 x 1TB Hitachi HDD, LG BD-DVD Optical Drive, Corsair TX 750 PSU, CoolerMaster Hyper 412s HSF, CoolerMaster Cosmos II Tower.

#20422 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,809 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:16 PM

http://www.smh.com.a...212-h0vzf6.html

Circular Quay fire, looks like they have been using that flammable outer cladding again

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

"We have some of the most beautiful hookers in the world" - Putin to Trump

#20423 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,651 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:24 PM

AKA "Shade Cloth".

#20424 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,809 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:25 PM

Probably from Joe's flammable polyethylene store ...

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

#20425 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 18,023 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:30 AM

Valentine's Day can go fuck itself.

*channels morris*

Edited by SquallStrife, 14 February 2018 - 08:31 AM.

SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#20426 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,809 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:18 AM

https://www.msn.com/...rash/ar-BBJ4EwT

Faulty sensors caused plane crash in Russia  (aka crap maintenance)

#20427 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,651 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:24 PM

That's not maintenance.  Sounds like pitot heat which is a setting much like windscreen demist that you set on demand.

So, pilot error.  It would be a checklist item before takeoff, you'd turn it on if the current conditions dictated probably before you started taxiing.

The other common error with pitot is leaving the cover on which makes IFR somewhat harder or impossible depending what other navigational aids are fitted or available.

#20428 Damo

Damo

Guru

• Atomican
  • 10,135 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:29 PM

Was Chrisg piloting this one? Was it a Mirage or Sabre?

Dare to think for yourself!

#20429 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,604 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:10 PM

power prices !  yeah !

got the new papers from agl - previously total of 21% discounted (only because i demanded their best price last time)

now if i let it roll, i am offered their "new" plan  of 15% discount

online best price = 23% discount, and $100 bonus for doing electric and gas both from agl (which i already do)

price of power has risen 10% on all tiers -  peak / shoulder / off-peak, so with 23% discount i am going backwards anyway albeit a pretty small hike... but supply charge has also blipped +10% and of course, no discount for that part of the bill

since early last year, prices are up by >18% for peak, but a staggering 48% for off peak

supply charge (no discounts at all) is up 20% in that period

that's more than slightly outrageous

thanks for selling the supply grid, nsw liberals, you pack of shifty pricks (and girl parts in view of our lady premier)

my income measure as a % of hourly rate has in the last 3 years risen by just over 6%, which is actually only because of a fee rise that started monday... prior to that it was 0% in the last 3 years (thanks, medicare rebate freeze)

if i didn't bother to demand best price, supply would cost me all of that rise, rather than the best rate which saves me a paying about the last 4% of the 18%

so thanks, nsw - your rate rise of ~14% in a year makes the very flat income growth of your average punter insufficient to remain solvent in the long run

lucky our home uses only 12.36kwh on the average day last billing cycle - not everyone has a well insulated home on a hill near the beach to assist in minimising needs

/rant

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#20430 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,651 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:13 PM

Hang on, wasn't it NSW Labor who started the big fire sale when they were supposed to be in caretaker mode just before being trounced some years ago?

At least be thankful that we don't have Joolya Dillard's Carbon Tax on top of that.

I actually use more power than that - my average is closer to 18-19 kwH per day over the year.

But shitty climate here for 7 months of the year and I prefer to suffer the $100 per quarter more to be comfortable.

Plus they had a good supply contract though it's supposedly expired so we'll be getting screwed much like everyone else.

So nice that we have per capita more energy resources than virtually anyone but pay more than almost everyone.

Edited by Rybags, 14 February 2018 - 04:18 PM.

#20431 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,809 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:59 PM

NSW libs will have sold everything not bolted down by the time they are kicked out.

#20432 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,604 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:30 PM

as i recall the facts, labour wanted to sell the grid, but were prevented through internal party dissent with the concept, and some reshuffling occurred

then the young liberal fellow baird progressed the idea on the grounds that it would fix the budget and the money would be used for something marvellous that i've already forgotten... bad railway additions, or maybe some freetollways to sell to a private operator, or just "progress"

here, have a trip down memory lane on me :

NSW electricity privatisation all set to go thanks to Baird government victory
by Will Glasgow

The major hurdle for the biggest privatisations in Australia for the next two years has been cleared with the emphatic victory of Premier Mike Baird's Coalition government in New South Wales. 

To the great relief of bankers and other advisers on the deals, Mr Baird's strong performance at the March 28 election has meant the ambitious privatisation agenda was not scuttled as Premier Campbell Newman's $30 billion pipeline was three months earlier in Queensland. 

The government's advisers UBS Australia and Deutsche Bank have already begun work on expressions of interest for NSW's electricity network privatisation.

"The aim remains to have the first transaction done within 12 months," says Mr Baird.

But upper house and regulatory obstacles remain before the $25-odd billion, 99-year leasing of the three NSW electricity network businesses –Transgrid, Ausgrid and Endeavour – can go ahead.

The first transaction will be the 99-year lease of high voltage transmission business Transgrid, which is expected to be finished in the second half of 2015. The NSW government will then lease 50.6 per cent of electricity distribution businesses Ausgrid and Endeavour in a still to be determined order. 

Mr Baird has indicated an eagerness to close the transactions as soon as possible to take advantage of a favourable environment for sellers of assets that produce reliable, long-term returns. 

The government has a further incentive to bring the businesses to market soon, as it has linked $20 billion of new rail, roads, schools and hospitals to proceeds from the network privatisation. 

All up, the process is expected to take about two years.

as for carbon tax.... the best idea that never happened - not because i like taxes, but putting a price on production of pollution alters people's mind set rather impressively (sort of like the $2 token on shopping trolleys focusses people on the benefit of not dumping them)

works on container deposit legislation too (a south australian thing, hom of ms. gillard when i went to school with her older sister back in time before the internet), when it's well implemented - which is why it's been a non-event since the launch in nsw - the price of containers went up by 10c, and the collection arrangements are a total fuck up, because that's how we do things here, apparently

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#20433 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,809 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:15 AM

https://www.msn.com/...nter/ar-BBJ7c3Y

Shooting at the NSA, I guess someone wanted their privacy ...

#20434 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,809 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:57 AM

Merica, where people are scared of terrorists but their kids ate most likely to be shot at school by one of their own

#20435 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,761 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:11 PM

^

Thoughts and Prayers: The Game

LOL

no pung intended

#20436 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,809 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:12 PM

https://www.msn.com/...lton/ar-BBJfVLU

UKIP are still stabbing each other in the face politically LOL

#20437 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,604 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:33 PM

https://www.msn.com/...nter/ar-BBJ7c3Y

Shooting at the NSA, I guess someone wanted their privacy ...

dang !  i mis-read that as shooting at the nra, and thought the irony was hot

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#20438 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,809 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:17 AM

http://www.abc.net.a...ce-deal/9460740

HBF to merge with HCF, It would make them 3rd in size behind BUPA and Mediscam Private.

I'm with HCF ... not sure this is good or bad. Mergers are bit weird, they cut operational staff but the upper management seems to grow.

Edited by Jeruselem, 19 February 2018 - 11:36 AM.

#20439 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,809 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 01:03 PM

http://www.abc.net.a...g-probe/9461116

Russian olympian suspected of doping but the sport was ... curling! WTF. Yes pushing a small thing on ice!

#20440 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,293 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:00 AM

http://www.theverge....terabyte-pm1643
"Samsung unveils world’s largest SSD with whopping 30TB of storage"

O.O

A tenth of that is 33% larger than my two current HDDs. I don't think I'll bother with mechanical drives for the next box.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users