• Please log in to reply
19593 replies to this topic

#9961 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,806 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:46 PM

Went down to Coles about 9:15 earlier on.  Usually around that time it's fairly quiet and they're full swing topping up the shelves.

Going through the medicines aisle, the bloke packing shelves with a bit of a grin going, he's wearing latex gloves and I'm a bit WTF about it, normally you only see those things in the deli.

I look at what he's doing, he's restocking the condoms.

I think WTH do you need to be wearing gloves when restocking the frangers?  The things are in a box and have plastic wrapper over that!

#9962 Quazar

Quazar

Master

• Atomican
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:37 AM

Spent the last 2 days in Melbourne with our youngest at RCH, he's still there while they try and establish a bladder and bowel routine after his surgery last November (12.5hrs to de-tether spinal cord and remove fatty mass at base of spine) I came home last night and our eldest informs is he doesn't feel great.

Fast forward to today I wake him up to get ready for college where he again informs me he's feeling like shit, not physically mentally, doesn't want to face the world today for whatever reason. He's been diagnosed as clinically depressed and has mentioned that he sometimes feels like he needs to cut himself, so today I'm taking another day off work to stay home and be here for him and middle child is off to the doctors with his grandparents, thank goodness for family. I just have to ring work and contact all schools involved, at least I got the almost need to cry out of the way when I called my lovely wife who's still in Melbourne with child 3.0, you'd think with each iteration there are improvements, well we really screwed the pooch on that one :)

It sucks not knowing how or if I can help my eldest.

NB for those that do not know most government schools in Tasmania finish at grade 10 after which students enroll in a regional college that caters purely for grades 11&12 this provides a great deal of variety as far as subjects are concerned and is a fantastic system.

Not charging for awesomeness since 1973 :)

#9963 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:57 AM

Is someone having problems with strange things happening in their house?

I can see a computer desk with no dust on it ,looks immaculately clean. On this desk is a mobile phone with some stickers on it. 

All i can see is things are happening in this house which is bewildering like fridge door being left open, a cat is rather frisky running about most of the times ,and a Palm plant near the entrance to the house.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#9964 Xen

Xen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:55 AM

Is someone having problems with strange things happening in their house?

I can see a computer desk with no dust on it ,looks immaculately clean. On this desk is a mobile phone with some stickers on it. 

All i can see is things are happening in this house which is bewildering like fridge door being left open, a cat is rather frisky running about most of the times ,and a Palm plant near the entrance to the house.

Code you been hitting the bong a bit hard?

#9965 TheFrunj

TheFrunj

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,277 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:33 AM

Spent the last 2 days in Melbourne with our youngest at RCH, he's still there while they try and establish a bladder and bowel routine after his surgery last November (12.5hrs to de-tether spinal cord and remove fatty mass at base of spine) I came home last night and our eldest informs is he doesn't feel great.

Fast forward to today I wake him up to get ready for college where he again informs me he's feeling like shit, not physically mentally, doesn't want to face the world today for whatever reason. He's been diagnosed as clinically depressed...

It's hard to provide support to others when you're under extreme stress yourself. There is no guaranteed thing you can do to help anyone with depression, but being around for him will make it easier if he decides to interact.

If he's said those sorts of things to you he may not be comfortable with sharing all his various thoughts and concerns with his dad, perhaps he could speak to the people at Lifeline? They're experienced with younger people who are struggling. A third party is a good idea if he'll take that suggestion.

https://www.lifeline.org.au/

13 11 14

"TheFrunj doesn't guess, when he forms words with his lips, the world will Warp and change to do his bidding." - Shikimaru No longer writing for Atomic :( http://forums.atomic...showtopic=49899

#9966 Quazar

Quazar

Master

• Atomican
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:35 AM

Fast forward to today I wake him up to get ready for college where he again informs me he's feeling like shit, not physically mentally, doesn't want to face the world today for whatever reason. He's been diagnosed as clinically depressed...

It's hard to provide support to others when you're under extreme stress yourself. There is no guaranteed thing you can do to help anyone with depression, but being around for him will make it easier if he decides to interact.

If he's said those sorts of things to you he may not be comfortable with sharing all his various thoughts and concerns with his dad, perhaps he could speak to the people at Lifeline? They're experienced with younger people who are struggling. A third party is a good idea if he'll take that suggestion.

13 11 14

Thanks Frunj,

He's ok now, I wanted him to go into headspace in town but he really didn't want to go anywhere, so I left it alone and now he appears to be better. I still think it's a good idea for him to visit headspace when he's next in town but I'll leave it up to him as to when that happens.

Not charging for awesomeness since 1973 :)

#9967 Trkstr

Trkstr

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:37 AM

13 11 14

It is difficult to be there for somebody, want to help them, but not know what to do. But, just being there for him until he's ready can mean a lot. Even if you don't talk or try and get him to do things. Just having someone there helps a lot with the sense of isolation.

#9968 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:45 PM

Does anyone ever get a pain under their jawbone on the right hand side ,its damn painful it goes through my ears and Jaws. Had it for 2 days now and taking panadol for it. When it gets really sore i get lightheaded and wobbly on my feet ,so i sit down. 

#9969 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,849 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:26 PM

Does anyone ever get a pain under their jawbone on the right hand side ,its damn painful it goes through my ears and Jaws. Had it for 2 days now and taking panadol for it. When it gets really sore i get lightheaded and wobbly on my feet ,so i sit down. 

Given that you have a known heart problem, I assume you're aware that's a Grade 'A' incipient heart attack warning sign?  I further assume you've contacted your cardiologist, or t least the local hospital and had the relevant tests?  If 'yes' to both of the previous, then 'no', I have no idea what could cause that.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#9970 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:47 AM

Given that you have a known heart problem, I assume you're aware that's a Grade 'A' incipient heart attack warning sign?  I further assume you've contacted your cardiologist, or t least the local hospital and had the relevant tests?  If 'yes' to both of the previous, then 'no', I have no idea what could cause that.

Had a bad night last night woke with stabbing pains in my chest ,so i had to walk around a bit. Neck is a bit tender this morning. Living with my elderly Father i try not to tell him what is happening. GP says it could be a neuralgia or even partially blocked artery.

Hate hospitals and seeing doctors this is why i will not seek help.

#9971 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,849 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:00 AM

Had a bad night last night woke with stabbing pains in my chest ,so i had to walk around a bit. Neck is a bit tender this morning. Living with my elderly Father i try not to tell him what is happening. GP says it could be a neuralgia or even partially blocked artery.

... Grow the fuck up.

No, seriously, grow up. "I hate hospitals" You fucking CHILD! Being an adult involves doing many things you don't like doing, because they have desirable outcomes beyond the momentary inconvenience. Think I *wanted* to spend more than a year (on and off) in wards filled with dying people? No! But I did, because that's where I could get treatment that might let me live a bit longer.

Now, I don't give much of a hoot one way or another whether you want to live or die - that's your decision. But you don't get to complain about dying if you choose not to try to avoid it.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#9972 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:31 AM

... Grow the fuck up.

No, seriously, grow up. "I hate hospitals" You fucking CHILD! Being an adult involves doing many things you don't like doing, because they have desirable outcomes beyond the momentary inconvenience. Think I *wanted* to spend more than a year (on and off) in wards filled with dying people? No! But I did, because that's where I could get treatment that might let me live a bit longer.

Now, I don't give much of a hoot one way or another whether you want to live or die - that's your decision. But you don't get to complain about dying if you choose not to try to avoid it.

yes, well some people have support of families and some don't. So please do not rock the boat.

I grew up in a Hospital with Asthma and was very unpleasant so i think i have seen my share of hospitals.

So getting aggro at me is not the way

I was just asking a question if anyone had this type of pain before?

#9973 komuso

komuso

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:13 AM

Why ask here? Go see a professional. 

Edited by komuso, 05 March 2015 - 10:14 AM.

#9974 TheFrunj

TheFrunj

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,277 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:20 AM

... Grow the fuck up.

No, seriously, grow up. "I hate hospitals" You fucking CHILD! Being an adult involves doing many things you don't like doing, because they have desirable outcomes beyond the momentary inconvenience...

Quoted to agree heartily. Get medical advice or GTFO.

"TheFrunj doesn't guess, when he forms words with his lips, the world will Warp and change to do his bidding." - Shikimaru No longer writing for Atomic :( http://forums.atomic...showtopic=49899

#9975 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,064 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:28 PM

What's an appropriate gift for a 1st birthday party? $20 too cheap? $50 seems too much, it's what I'd give to a close friend on their birthday for a party.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#9976 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:38 PM

What's an appropriate gift for a 1st birthday party? $20 too cheap? $50 seems too much, it's what I'd give to a close friend on their birthday for a party.

Is that a one year old Birthday or a 1st Birthday party for friend? And how old?

#9977 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,064 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:41 PM

I have three second cousins turning 1.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#9978 spyder

spyder

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 16,379 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:50 PM

Decided to switch to cable internet. The current optus offering seem like a good deal (unlimited data, phone and fetch for $90pm). Now to wait for the install...

#9979 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:04 PM

I have three second cousins turning 1.

Turning 1 is a big event why not buy them a small investment each. Like a collectors coin ,or something they can put to use later in life. 

Buying Toys and such is waste of money for kids at such age they outgrow them so fast ,same with clothes.

How much you want to spend is how close you are too them.

#9980 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,806 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:08 PM

Is anyone going to bother to start a FootyTips comp for this year?  First NRL game in about 30 minutes.

So long as you're registered though, you can just enter tips, connecting to a competition later on shouldn't affect your ongoing score.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)