• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#121 millen

millen

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

Hey guys, I finally got my Gen7 n54l up and running with FreeNAS in the last couple of weeks. Running 2 x 4TB WD Reds, in RaidZ (mirrored) at the moment. Got a 2GB dataset carved out for my media, and am going to carve out a couple more for Windows Backup and a Time Machine. But thinking I might buy 2 more 4TB Reds first. Just seems easier to get it filled up with drives beforehand, rather than dealing with any expansion issues down the track. Also, at the moment, I didn't buy any RAM for it when I got it, so I've just replaced the original 2GB stick with some old DDR3 sticks, so it's currently running with 4GB of RAM. I know 8GB is minimum spec for ZFS, so that will be an upgrade in the near future, but to be honest I have not had any performance issues so far. The main question I wanted to ask is about ECC RAM, is it especially critical to get ECC? From what I understand ECC RAM just prevents some read/write errors that may occur, excuse my very simple terminology, I'm not 100% up to speed with it obviously. :P Otherwise I'll just grab some standard DDR3 stuff and whack that in.

ANTARES II : i5 3570k : Z77X-UD3H : HD7970 : 16GB Corsair : Antec P183 : AudioEngine 5+

MONZA : i7 920 : X58-UD5 : R9 280X : 8GB Corsair : 3x24" LCD : G27 : Custom Racing Rig

www.atomicsimracing.net | www.youtube.com/user/millen019

#122 CptnChrysler

CptnChrysler

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

Short answer: Use ECC RAM if you possibly can.

(Someone Else's) Long answer : http://forums.freena...-and-zfs.15449/
Everyone's entitled to my opinion! I've got the T-Shirt to prove it.

#123 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,390 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:18 AM

I installed ... some program (I think it was zoneminder), ran into a couple of issues, got those sorted out but decided the old IP camera I had sucked and went about looking into POE switches and cameras to suit. I never got around to actually finishing that project though.

If you get interested in it again, let me know, keen to see how it all plays out.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#124 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,390 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:39 AM

Finally looking to jump into purchasing.  Shoving extra drives in to the older models/cases is appealing, but I'd also like the extra CPu grunt from the Gen8 (even if only celeron) so that transcoding and usenet processing don't make everything grind to a standstill.

Not sure I have the time/energy to dedicate to setting up ZFS tho', so  I'll probably be sticking with Windows and storage spaces or something.  Just not sure how to go about it - Win10?  Think I read somewhere that non-server Windows installs crap out due to unsupported drivers : \

I'd consider maybe a Gen9 but I haven't seen anything about them in microserver form : <

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#125 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,551 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:26 AM

Depending how often your data changes, Look into Ubuntu and SnapRaid.

It made me wet my pants with excitement, and buy 3x 3TB toshiba drives, and then proceed to wet myself again.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#126 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,390 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:01 PM

Will probably be majority AV media with a selection of personal stuff both individually archived and in backup images.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users