• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,212 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

My experience at TAFE has been that a Diploma is just the sum of the previous certs with a little extra. eg I'm currently in a Dip Hospitality, as a two year course, but the first year is the cer3 trade qual, and the second is then the dip theory classes. But because of how the enrolment works, I get to pay for the first year at a cheaper hourly rate. Would be surprised if, ultimately, it was different for IT related TAFE courses.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#22 kikz

kikz

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,502 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

Nich AFAIK it isn't different in IT. If you enroll in a Diploma and drop out part way you get the quals for what you've done so far, eg Cert III etc.

#23 cornedbeef

cornedbeef

Serf

• Lurker
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:35 PM

hurro, thought i might follow up for anyone is still interested, just sorting through bookmarks and stumbled on this thread. i enrolled in systems development in 2012 then took a diploma in programming online a short while after as i was studying programming in my spare time anyway. at the moment i’m enrolled at queensland university of technology part-time using the credits from the completed diplomas and doing some engineering/design work for energex... i can vaguely remember but i think the first assessment for the programming diploma was a C# assessment (WPF form for a small business) then some database project. i recommend thoroughly learning the fundamentals of C#, java, any OOP before beginning the diploma, i began with bob tabers C# fundamentals then signed up for learnvisualstudio.net sometime later… free tutorial made everything much easier. hope that helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users