• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#201 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,133 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 05:24 PM

^Little info piece just released from another Aussie backer on how to buy into SC (assuming you want to) for as little as possible.  Also, the probable best way to do it, which is only slightly more.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#202 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,133 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 12:55 PM

The Alpha 2.6 patch just dropped, and now there's a trailer for it (do yourself a favour and maximise window and rez):  

That's all in-game footage, rendered at actual play rates - not everything-maxed-and-2fps.

#203 stuub27

stuub27

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:46 PM

The Alpha 2.6 patch just dropped, and now there's a trailer for it (do yourself a favour and maximise window and rez):  

That's all in-game footage, rendered at actual play rates - not everything-maxed-and-2fps.

Man, that does look sweet! Rather unlikely to ever play, but it  sure makes a compelling argument!

#204 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,133 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:28 PM

Man, that does look sweet! Rather unlikely to ever play, but it  sure makes a compelling argument!

If you look back to the start of this thread, you'll see I was very skeptical of this game at first. I was convinced by (that's "before", not "because of") 2.4. There are 'free fly weekend's fairly frequently, so if you want to have a look without committing, there's your chance.

Christmas sales are on ATM.

Edit: Added parenthetical clarification. I bought into it in October 2015, according to my records.

Edited by Cybes, 16 January 2017 - 01:02 PM.

#205 stuub27

stuub27

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:46 PM

I actually don't tend to game much...almost never on the PC :)

#206 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,133 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:03 PM

Something a little different this time... This (longish) video is centred on Star Citizen, but you can take something out of this that applies to just about every game.

Yeah, I know - 27 minutes.  But I thought it was worth it, enough so to link it here.  Give it a shot.

#207 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,133 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:21 PM

A quick look back at progress of SC over the entirety of 2016:

Looking forward to developments for this year.

#208 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,133 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:49 PM

For anyone who is wondering how it's going but doesn't want to commit actual money (don't blame you), there is a "Free Fly" event on at the moment: https://robertsspace...s-Free-Fly-2017

You get to zoom about in multi-crew ship!  These things cost a poultice, normally, so it's a great deal.

#209 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,133 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:44 PM

^Alpha 3.0, currently scheduled for release in August.

Netcode still sucks, and players-per-server limits are still woeful, but those are lagging rather than totally neglected: they're scheduled for 3.1.

#210 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,902 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:03 AM

Is the longest game to ever be made?

RIG: Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 990FXA GD-80 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 | MSI Radeon R7 370 | Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB SATAIII | 500GB + 1TB Barracuda's | LG GH22NS70 DVD-RW | Xigmatek Red Scorpion | Corsair HX650W | CM690

#211 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,133 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:08 AM

Hardly. It's just all in public, so people get to see all the mis-steps, design changes, and hangups.

So far it's 5 years from concept. Skyrim was 7, I believe [Edit: I was mistaken - it was 4.  However, point stands.] - and this will be a MUCH more complex game.

Edited by Cybes, 26 July 2017 - 05:46 AM.

#212 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,133 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:51 AM

Hardly. It's just all in public, so people get to see all the mis-steps, design changes, and hangups.

So far it's 5 years from concept. Skyrim was 7, I believe [Edit: I was mistaken - it was 4.  It was GTA-V that was 7.  However, point stands.] - and this will be a MUCH more complex game.

#213 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,902 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:22 AM

So far it's 5 years from concept. Skyrim was 7, I believe [Edit: I was mistaken - it was 4.  However, point stands.] - and this will be a MUCH more complex game.

So you don't think they've become a bit too ambitious and gotten caught up with so much feature creep that they're constantly behind schedule?

I personally think the FPS element was unnecessary. 

RIG: Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 990FXA GD-80 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 | MSI Radeon R7 370 | Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB SATAIII | 500GB + 1TB Barracuda's | LG GH22NS70 DVD-RW | Xigmatek Red Scorpion | Corsair HX650W | CM690

#214 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,133 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:30 PM

So you don't think they've become a bit too ambitious and gotten caught up with so much feature creep that they're constantly behind schedule?

I've been only been watching the release plotter casually since they made it public early this year, but so far pretty much all the targets have been met on or before estimate, and those that have slipped have had good reason for doing so and a revised estimate that was (usually) right.

The big problem is that they seem, from my POV anyway, to be tackling things kinda backward: they keep releasing ships, with planets and mission givers now appearing but core functionality like netcode and economy still in the distance; whereas I would have thought those things would be fundamental and worry about the pretty stuff later.  Of course, being crowd funded, they have to keep the money coming, and that comes from people buying ships. :p

#215 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,879 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:07 PM

not a good comparison but

Duke Nukem Forever spent fifteen years in development, from 1996 to 2011

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#216 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,133 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:51 PM

not a good comparison but

Duke Nukem Forever spent fifteen years in development, from 1996 to 2011

No, that's really not a good comparison! :)

Daikatana? ;)  (Fuck, I hope not!)

#217 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,902 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:38 PM

I've been only been watching the release plotter casually since they made it public early this year, but so far pretty much all the targets have been met on or before estimate, and those that have slipped have had good reason for doing so and a revised estimate that was (usually) right.

The big problem is that they seem, from my POV anyway, to be tackling things kinda backward: they keep releasing ships, with planets and mission givers now appearing but core functionality like netcode and economy still in the distance; whereas I would have thought those things would be fundamental and worry about the pretty stuff later.  Of course, being crowd funded, they have to keep the money coming, and that comes from people buying ships. :p

Well you can say so better than I.

Yes that is the problem with the crowd funding and that is why they've received lots of skepticism as to their true intentions and whether or not it is a huge hoax, just making content to sell without being able to even use it. And because these are all donations, they really need to be looking at fulfilling those promises instead of deciding they want to add something more complex to the game.. and then making more stuff to sell. Just my opinion.

#218 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,133 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:57 PM

... whether or not it is a huge hoax, just making content to sell without being able to even use it.

Well, that is one complaint you can lay to ŕst immediately: you can use *everything* mow coming onstream. It's some of the older ships that are still vapour.

Look, the project MIGHT fail, but everyone involved in it is genuinely trying to do something incredible. The results so far, even as broken and incomplete as they are at this point, are better than some completed games - if you play on a low-pop server. And the techniques developed for it will have repurcussions in future games all over the place for years to come.

Truly, you need to give one of the free-fly weekends a shot. Given it's a *big* download though, you may want to hold off for 3.0 to drop.

#219 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,902 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:53 PM

Truly, you need to give one of the free-fly weekends a shot. Given it's a *big* download though, you may want to hold off for 3.0 to drop.

Haha... I'm not sure my system could even run it mate. Besides which, I don't want to try incase I get addicted to it.

#220 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,133 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:28 AM

Haha... I'm not sure my system could even run it mate. Besides which, I don't want to try incase I get addicted to it.

I'm on a 3yo i7 laptop - very much not a gaming rig.  It's still barely usable. ;)  A bit more graphics power than the nVidia GT 745M would be nice.

The addiction factor might be a fair cop, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users