253 replies to this topic

#21 PointZeroOne

PointZeroOne

Crash Test Dummy

• Atomican
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

STAR BUMP!

Heads up – you have until Jul 7th to make a purchase and be counted as a ‘veteran’ backer. And until sometime in Nov to be an ‘original’ backer.

The differences are a bit murky, but as I understand it there are certain ships that will only be onsale until the 7th that come with full pledge packs that include game credits and maps and shit. Standalone ships can be bought until November…

hrm, I backed this, haven't really kept up on the updates about it though. Are 'veteran' backers, all kickstarter people?

AzpUvwG.png - @PointZeroOne
PSN - PointZeroOne-AI
icon_steam.gif - PointZeroOne

uplay - PointZeroOne-AI

#22 Flouncy

Flouncy

• God
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

Yep! As well as anyone that buys anything before the 7th July. If anyone who hadn't bought anything prior still gets in by Nov (exact date not announced) they are 'original', and still get lifetime insurance.
bringing wootie back

#23 mark84

mark84

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,737 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

Ok I think I'm going to get on board with this.

I'm a bit confused about how it works though. I just go here and choose one?
How do I get extra ships? Buy more of the pledge packages?

Does LTI cover all ships you may ever get in the game or just the ones you get via the pledge process?

EDIT: Also, WOW

Edited by mark84, 04 July 2013 - 12:43 PM.

Desktop: i7 6850K @ 4.3GHz | Titan X (Pascal) | 32GB RAM | 120GB + 500GB SSDs | 2x 5TB HDD in RAID1

Server: G3258 @4.6GHz | 120GB SSD | 2x 4TB RAID1 | 2x 6TB RAID1

Desktop build log | Firefox AtomicMPC Menu | The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2 | CPU bench league

www.atomicsimracing.net - The place for Atomicans who love motor sports and sim racing.

#24 Flouncy

Flouncy

• God
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

Yep that's the right place Mark. There's 'packs' in the main bit with all the fancy bullshit (+ game credits, which is not bullshit but we have no way of knowing yet the relative worth of what they give you here). And there's the stand-alone ships listed on the left column. Just make sure you have 'LTI' listed in the purchase package. Best it seems to but the 'digital' packs, save some bucks if you don't want a trinket keychain/whatever in the mail. LTI covers just each ship you buy with it. It covers basic hull replacement and not upgrades, and doesn't cover you when in distant sectors. But given that you'll have to pay ongoing premiums for insurance after the deal period expires, seems pretty good to me.
bringing wootie back

#25 mark84

mark84

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,737 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

Well I'm in. Went with basically the same spacecraft. Freelancer, Hornet and 315p. I was almost going to ditch the freelancer and go the constellation as it seems to be a class above the lancer whilst still being able to do the same tasks and more. But read a little on their forums and people were suggesting it might cost more to run and operate than the lancer, so I figured I'd start out small (315p to begin, graduate to lancer when I've the equipment or credits whatevs) and work my way up to that should I really get into it. Also, if we make or join a clan, we need to get one of those Idris class corvettes, soo sexy!

Edited by mark84, 05 July 2013 - 11:43 AM.

Desktop: i7 6850K @ 4.3GHz | Titan X (Pascal) | 32GB RAM | 120GB + 500GB SSDs | 2x 5TB HDD in RAID1

Desktop build log | Firefox AtomicMPC Menu | The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2 | CPU bench league

www.atomicsimracing.net - The place for Atomicans who love motor sports and sim racing.

#26 Guest_xyzzy frobozz_*

Guest_xyzzy frobozz_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

Rear Admiral Xyzzy Frobozz reporting for duty.

#27 martyr

martyr

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

I'm really liking the sounds of this game, but find it hard to part with cash when its still so far from complete. I never pre-purchase.
Q6600@3.00Ghz/Prolimatech Megahalems w/ Coolermaster 2000RPM 19Dba FAN/Corsair 4x2GB 800Mhz DDR2/Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P/Inno3D GTX580 1.5Gb/OCZ Agility 3 240Gb/Corsair TX-750/Antec 900

#28 Flouncy

Flouncy

• God
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

Coolies :) Onya zyzzy. Nice choices Mark. That lot made sense to me, too, cover all bases. Idris looks ultra, but was a limited thing on sale only for a couple of hours during a recent livestream. But if the game shapes up well I'd be all for forming a death team and chipping in together to buy a bigarse ship with multiple crew slots. We can make it our stated objective to hunt down Bennett whenever he logs on. That'd be funny.
bringing wootie back

#29 mark84

mark84

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,737 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

I'm really liking the sounds of this game, but find it hard to part with cash when its still so far from complete. I never pre-purchase.

Fair enough, though if I'm correct they'll have a dog fighting alpha test towards the end of this year, so it's only a few months wait to get hands on with it.

But if the game shapes up well I'd be all for forming a death team and chipping in together to buy a bigarse ship with multiple crew slots. We can make it our stated objective to hunt down Bennett whenever he logs on. That'd be funny.

lol

Yeah with those multi person ships apparently you can get AI to go in place of a players. But I read that those AI might cost to keep running? (not sure if they mean actual $ or just in game currency), another factor that stopped me getting the constellation.
But yeah, getting in a multi person ship and battling in it B-17 styles will be epic!

#30 mark84

mark84

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,737 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

https://robertsspace...Citizen-Economy

Wow

#31 Flouncy

Flouncy

• God
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

Ultra cool.

I've thought of a name for our guild. It just came to me.

Space Teeth
Heroes of the Legend
bringing wootie back

#32 DaCraw

DaCraw

Master

• Atomican
  • 599 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

Well, if what you're looking for is an aussie guild with access to an Idris, the Ausmonauts have 3...
Avatar adapted from www.xkcd.com

#33 mark84

mark84

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,737 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:55 PM

Well, if what you're looking for is an aussie guild with access to an Idris, the Ausmonauts have 3...

Could be a good idea. Looked them up a couple days ago and they're right into STO as well so might have even come across a few in that game. Recognize one of them from the forums already.

Here's their forum thread.

What you guys think? Judging by how big and complex the universe will be there'll probably be a benefit to joining a large fleet/guild. Someone should usually be around to have our back. (That and we might be able to get on board and check out an Idris :p )

This'll be my first space sim. I've played other space based games before but nothing like wingcommander or eve. So I've really got no idea what to expect except awesome graphics :p

#34 DaCraw

DaCraw

Master

• Atomican
  • 599 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:49 AM

I can vouch for them in STO, although I'm probably one of their more casual members. They seem like a nice enough bunch on Vent. I don't want to spam, but if people ask I can provide their website. [edit]: If you've never played a space sim before, I'd recommend picking up some of the classics off GOG.com Star Citizen is made by the people who made Wing Commander, so WC 3-4 (single player) and Freelancer (find a server) are probably no brainers. Freespace 1 and 2 are also great games (and IMO better than WC, although that's a VERY controversial point). They were made a bit later, and tend to be a touch more accessible. If you can, I'd recommend playing through both the Freespace franchise and WC 2-4, but any of them would be a good introduction to the space genre. If you don't mind older games, WC1, X-Wing and X-Wing vs TIE Fighter are all brilliant; although going back to them now can be quite jarring - gameplay has evolved massively.

Edited by DaCraw, 08 July 2013 - 01:15 AM.

Avatar adapted from www.xkcd.com

#35 Flouncy

Flouncy

• God
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

I've just posted asking to join. Have read their forums and they all seem alright. Looks like they've got a pretty big SC team going on. I was liking the idea of being a lone wolf but this looks like it will fit the game better once epic guild missions and shit start to go down.
bringing wootie back

#36 mark84

mark84

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,737 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

I've just posted asking to join. Have read their forums and they all seem alright. Looks like they've got a pretty big SC team going on. I was liking the idea of being a lone wolf but this looks like it will fit the game better once epic guild missions and shit start to go down.

Cool bananas. Yeah I can see the appeal of going it alone or with a small group of friends/atomicans, but I get the feeling safety in numbers might be the smart choice. Will join up too.

You can see my post a bit further up from your post, asking about exploration. Good infos so you know what they think of it. I still intend to try the exploring thing, but I get the feeling trade and military actions will be the order of the day?

EDIT: Also if anyone wants to get life time insurance on the ships/packages they buy, veteran backers you trust can help you with getting LTI up until November through the hanger gifting system. So there's still time if you're unsure to jump in.

Edited by mark84, 09 July 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#37 Flouncy

Flouncy

• God
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

Yeah saw that post Mark. I too anticipate long periods of lovely lonely deep space exploration. Signing onto that guild now seems right tho, they're a pretty decent bunch and the way the organise their Trek stuff is very impressive. If it doesn't work out once the game is out and I have a better feel for the mechanics I'll go solo, but this is a very large group so I don't expect everyone will have to follow objectives all the time. e: oh and thanks for the tips about them DaCraw!

Edited by Flouncy, 09 July 2013 - 05:58 PM.

bringing wootie back

#38 Flouncy

Flouncy

• God
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

Woo hoo! Pilots 77 and 78. Look out cosmos! 'Erad' - nice Sci-Fi version :} One day next year you'll be out in deep space and a message will come through from me "I HAS TEH ARTAFACT! I ALSO HAS TEH PIRATES CHASING ME HELP HELP HELP!". And then 500 Austronauts will come running to my aid. Oh what fun.
bringing wootie back

#39 Ghost05

Ghost05

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

Yeah Mark, I would like to get LTI on a Freelancer a little further down the track. Dunno how to go about it, I will post on here when I am good to purchase it I guess.
Slizzer - "I will give way to you, I'm your bitch"

#40 Flouncy

Flouncy

• God
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

Space Ghost! hahahahahahaha
bringing wootie back

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users