• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Kimmo

Kimmo

Titan

• Atomican't
  • 31,812 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:23 PM

Right, now that we can put up fifteen pics in a single post, loading an individual thread containing enough big pics could potentially suck down 50MB or more; not something to sneeze at even on broadband.

So if you're going to post a lot of big pics, it's a good idea to use thumbnails. Don't know how? Read on...

The first thing is to find or create a thumbnail of your image. The ones you get in Google's image search results look tempting, but unfortunately don't work. So if it's someone else's image from another site, and there isn't an accompanying thumbnail for you to use, the best way to go is to rehost it.

So now you've saved and uploaded the pic to Tinypic or Photobucket or whoever, and you have an address for the full-size pic and you're looking at a thumbnail. If you're using Internet Explorer it's a bit of a pain to get an image's address; you have to right-click the pic, go 'properties' and highlight and copy the URL - or, with Tinypic, you can just copy the main image's URL and append '_th' to the end of the filename before the extension; with Photobucket, 'th_' is stuck on the start of the filename. If you're using Firefox, just right-click your pic and hit 'copy image location'.

Also, if you want to link a really huge pic hosted on some other site that doesn't have a thumbnail and that Photobucket or Tinypic would resize smaller, you can just save a copy, upload it to Tinypic and just use the thumbnail.

You know how you can use [ url ] tags to replace a URL with a meaningful bit of text, like:
[ url=http://www.google.com.au/search?q=image+hosting ]Image hosts[ /url ]
Well, you can also replace a URL with an embedded image; you could even make buttons for your links if you like... Anyway, you just use the embedded thumbnail as your label for the URL of the full-sized pic, like so:
[ url=http://www.main_pic.jpg ][ img ]http://www.thumbnail.jpg[ /img ][ /url ] (Incidentally, pics won't embed without a www in the URL.)

So now in your post, hit the Insert Image button and paste in the thumbnail's URL. Go back to the page with your hosted image and copy its URL, then highlight the thumbnail URL including its [ img ] tags, hit the Insert Link button and paste in your pic's URL. Done. It's actually quite a bit easier than it sounds, at least in Firefox.

Simpler method: Copy the direct link and paste it into your post, add the _th or th_ (depending on whether it's TinyPic or Photobucket), then highlight it and hit the Insert Image button and enter, then hit the Insert Link button, paste the original link still in your clipboard and hit enter. No changing tabs required : )

If this still isn't making sense, try quoting this post and looking at the code for these examples (ignore the quote marks around URLs; they're added automatically when you post):

Posted Image

Posted Image

It can seem a little tricky at first, but really there's nothing to it.

If anyone has anything to add, or any other tips to share, post up and I'll add em to the OP.

Embedding Youtube clips: just copy the crap from a vid's url between the 'v=' and the '&feature=related' or whatever, if present.
Chuck it between youtube tags, like so: [ youtube ]GL4hyATkQ74[ /youtube ]

Actually, here's a step-by-step of how I've taken to posting YT clips:

Posted Image

Here's the forum's BB code.

Edited by Kimmo, 27 July 2010 - 07:25 PM.

#2 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,664 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:35 PM

Good guide, would make a nice sticky.

Edited by smadge1, 14 November 2008 - 01:39 PM.

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#3 Khirareq

Khirareq

Titan

• Hero
  • 21,039 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:00 PM

Nice tip - Thanks :)

...but then everything changed when the fire nation attacked

#4 Cummings

Cummings

Champion

• Hero
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:06 PM

Nifty. I like that much better.
"It was not the person that locked up his invention in his scrutoire that ought to profit by a patent for such an invention, but he who brought it forth for the benefit of the public." - William Murray (Lord Mansfield) New Rule: If you have to think about RTMing something, then you don't need to RTM it.

#5 Kimmo

Kimmo

Titan

• Atomican't
  • 31,812 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:12 AM

Here's another thing; if you haven't got an account with someone like Photobucket, get one. Or more, since they're free.

Not only does it make it a piece of piss to share pics, but it's also potentially offsite backup for all your pics. Which you can then access from any machine on the net.

Most have size restrictions though. Most will also have an option to password protect folders globally or individually, too. It's worth trying a few to compare features before settling on one.

Backups of backups of all your pics*, which are then made securely accessible from anywhere. Win.

* depending on size of image collection and connection speed, your upload time may vary : /

#6 PhR33X

PhR33X

Champion

• Super Hero
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:35 PM

You could add "How to embed You Tube clips" as well :)
Truth, Justice and the Atomic way

#7 Kimmo

Kimmo

Titan

• Atomican't
  • 31,812 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:19 PM

I'm sure some folks would prefer they be linked to like this...

Posted Image
(1:05)

#8 just_some_guy

just_some_guy

Champion

• Banned
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:40 PM

Let's see if I got this right...

Posted Image

Edited by just_some_guy, 16 July 2009 - 09:43 PM.

You can have my lettuce when you pry it out of my cold wet salad.

#9 Kimmo

Kimmo

Titan

• Atomican't
  • 31,812 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:45 AM

Posted Image

#10 argotha

argotha

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:02 PM

Great thread, use it all the time now, (after you made me get photobucket :D)
"When we are forgotten we cease to exist" "Growing older is compulsory. Growing up is optional." Main Rig: Core i5-760| MSI P55-GD65| GeIL 8GB 1333 C9| Gigabyte HD5870| 1Tb HDD| Corsair HX-650| Fractal Design Black Pearl R3| LG W2253TQ-PF| Razer DeathAdderV2| Razer Lycosa| Plantronics PT-GAMECOM377|

#11 Kimmo

Kimmo

Titan

• Atomican't
  • 31,812 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:49 PM

Simpler method added to OP, in quote box

#12 morris

morris

Cam Whore

• Super Hero
  • 25,641 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:57 PM

Been quite handy. When I host a picture on my own site, I already make thumbnails. Glad I can use them here too. Started taking advantage of it when I first read this thread some time ago. Still do and hoping others will take it on board.
@--}----- Life's a joke. And we all need laughter

#13 Kimmo

Kimmo

Titan

• Atomican't
  • 31,812 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:43 PM

Plus, you can annotate them with the acronym tag (mouseover a thumbnail to see its annotation).

I'm gonna make a judgement call and break the crossposting rule to show you this example I prepared earlier. Hit the reply button if you want to see how the code works.

Steampunk Vacuum Tube Tesla Coil
electrogeek eye & mind candy

Gather around and witness the fruits of Tesla's lifelong work! Expeditiously, I shall be unveiling an unrealized dream of his, a masterful thermionic valve apparatus of superlative wonder and whimsy after many a sleepless night of scheming and laborious toil.

A mechanism of excessively high potential and very considerable frequency. A contraption to capture the wild possibilities of a dawning age of industrialism. A device to astound and mystify the youth. A machine to bewilder and confound the old! Fascination and fear; stupor and surprise!

More lively than an electrotherapy session and twice as delicious as a cool radium tonic, guaranteed!

The Tesla Thermionic Valve Wireless Energy Transmitting Apparatus

A steampunk-inspired vacuum tube based tesla coil utilizing an Armstrong oscillator circuit in class-C operation using a JAN810 transmitting triode with a 3B28 xenon rectifier.

No silicon here, but plenty of brass and glass, copper and cloth!

The various sets will break down the construction phases and eventually photos of the finished product, especially the tesla coil in action! I'm terrible at documenting since I usually get wrapped up while working on it so I'll do my best to take photos along the way.

This is the first of several planned "steampunk" style tesla coils.

Eg:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3597/3586879135_0e9eb6c1e6_s.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2476/3586876637_6dbde64f02_s.jpg http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3649/3584037569_656fd6b86a_s.jpg http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3377/3516915748_ea6b3b5dcd_s.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3643/3584846634_e64247c2cf_s.jpg ...and check out the sequence starting here: Lightning Trumps Rubber. Panel 1

Or look at all the galleries on Flickr to read the comments; some of em are really interesting.

That's beautiful work. I'd love to see it finished; looks like it hasn't had any attention since August.

(Posted almost in full because you can't have too much pure awesome)

Of course, any comments on the content of that post rather than its form should be directed to the original thread.

Edited by Kimmo, 11 October 2009 - 09:47 PM.

#14 Kimmo

Kimmo

Titan

• Atomican't
  • 31,812 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:40 AM

Also, if you dislike the image resizing stuffing around with everything over 256 wide, it can be buggered off.

Using Adblock Plus or similar, add the filter ipb_topic.js FTW. The board handles really wide images quite well anyway; only the post containing the image is stretched.

Warning: it'll also kill the scrolling headlines at the top of the page.

...It's also killed my ability to ignore 1shot going at his bad writing rampage... haven't noticed whether anything else is broken, except for a little bit of a mess at the top of the page, but that's only in conjunction with Flashblock...

Edited by Kimmo, 17 October 2009 - 07:05 AM.

#15 Kimmo

Kimmo

Titan

• Atomican't
  • 31,812 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:08 PM

Here's a handy link - http://forums.atomic...amp;CODE=bbcode

Added to OP

#16 ice cold

ice cold

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 179 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:33 AM

i despise some bloody hosting sites, they can just be a mega pain in the arse. (sorry not very helpful) All in all thank-you everybody for all the information provided in this thread.
signature haha lol

#17 Kimmo

Kimmo

Titan

• Atomican't
  • 31,812 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:26 PM

Better advice for posting YouTube clips added

#18 Athiril

Athiril

Guru

• Atomican
  • 12,484 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:30 PM

Use the resizing options on tinypic and other. I dont want to download your 12mb jpg that merely gets shown as a thumbnail.
"Comedians can fuck up, and being called out on it is important." - Robzy "For the record, I have a good joke, but I shouldn't post it" - Robzy "I haven't heard anything like this before but anything is possible!" - Leonid

#19 King_Of_The_Mountain

King_Of_The_Mountain

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,111 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:40 PM

Testing something: Didn't work :(

Edited by King_Of_The_Mountain, 27 July 2010 - 08:40 PM.

We may have gotten stronger but I believe we have become greater fools.

#20 Kimmo

Kimmo

Titan

• Atomican't
  • 31,812 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:36 PM

This is off-topic, otherwise I'd edit it into the OP, but I'm sticking this up since some of the information within may be helpful in relation to dealing with some of your fellow forum users...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users