Photo

Best Bluray portable slim drive?

Best Answer ihateh, 02 October 2014 - 01:09 PM

I decided to find an alternative internal drive instead of an external solution.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ihateh

ihateh

Learner

• Quark
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

Little background:
my Asus laptop's internal bluray burner is just useless, Matshita BD-MLT UJ240AS (or Panasonic), it simply doesn't allow bluray and dvd ripping and if I knew that, I avoided buying such useless hardware.

I decided to buy an external device (ok I know those are not the same as the full size ones so I save you guys the time) and I've found it so difficult to buy one in Melbourne area or even from overseas.
Brands I'm looking for are Liteon (impossible to find anywhere) or Pioneeer, I don't like the too many other brands floating around because I worry the drives they use are the ones with region limitation (rpc2) unless someone here with expertise can kindly confirm a selected brand/model which is not region locked.

I found a web site in US they sell the Pioneer BDR-X04 bundle Videoguys, so is this my only choice within Australia or can I still buy something locally of comparable quality and price?

Thanks in advance.

#2 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,421 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

worry the drives they use are the ones with region limitation (rpc2)

Um dood they all have region limitations. To get around region limitations you need either a hacked firmware or software like ANYDVD or DVDFab Blu-ray Copy.

if you want an external BD drive then
http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=19831
Or get an internal BD drive of your choice and fit it too
http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=21491

http://www.scorptec....9...disp&init=1
also lists some internal slim line and external BD drives.

Edited by aliali, 09 February 2013 - 06:56 PM.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#3 ihateh

ihateh

Learner

• Quark
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

worry the drives they use are the ones with region limitation (rpc2)

Um dood they all have region limitations. To get around region limitations you need either a hacked firmware or software like ANYDVD or DVDFab Blu-ray Copy.

Sorry I had to be more specific.
The bad experience I had with the built in drive is that its firmware cannot be hacked so it's hardware locked to rpc2 and even AnydvdHD can't fix it, I already did the search so be ware of those drives.

The Pioneer BDR-Xd04 seems the only valid option here in Australia and thanks for pointing to it.
The option from the US shop isn't viable cause the high delivery fees (but the bundle looks good), actually I could pick up from Warcom and save some money.
Will wait for more opinions.....

Edited by ihateh, 09 February 2013 - 07:23 PM.

#4 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,421 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

The bad experience I had with the built in drive is that its firmware cannot be hacked so it's hardware locked to rpc2 and even AnydvdHD can't fix it, I already did the search so be ware of those drives.

AnyDVD does not "fix" the drive you simply have it running when you insert a disk and it strips the region stuff and copy protection from the disk.
It does not touch your hardware.

The Pioneer BDR-Xd04 seems the only valid option here in Australia and thanks for pointing to it.
The option from the US shop isn't viable cause the high delivery fees (but the bundle looks good), actually I could pick up from Warcom and save some money.

What US shop? Scorptec is an AU store.

Clayton Store: Unit 4-5/2 Garden Rd, Clayton, VIC 3168, Phone: (03) 8561 3200, Fax: (03) 9561 1688

Rowville Store: Unit 1/899 Wellington Rd, Rowville, VIC 3178, Phone: (03) 9724 7000, Fax: (03) 9764 3111

Malvern Store: 1408-1410 High St, Malvern, VIC 3144, Phone: (03) 8573 3000, Fax: (03) 9500 0318

Sth Melb Store: 205 Clarendon St, South Melbourne, VIC 3205, Phone: (03) 9249 6000, Fax: (03) 9696 3112

#5 ihateh

ihateh

Learner

• Quark
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

AnyDVD does not "fix" the drive you simply have it running when you insert a disk and it strips the region stuff and copy protection from the disk.
It does not touch your hardware.

What I meant is Anydvd cannot fix the problem regarding the protection NOT unlocking the hardware, as I said the firmware is hardware locked so there is no fix for this specific drive.
There's something Anydvd could do but I've to set the drive's region to match the specific disc and it still doesn't work.

What US shop? Scorptec is an AU store.

The link from my first post, by the way, I'm Scorptec's customer too and can pick up.

#6 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,421 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

The link from my first post, by the way, I'm Scorptec's customer too and can pick up.

Ah Oops. :-(

#7 ihateh

ihateh

Learner

• Quark
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:09 PM   Best Answer

I decided to find an alternative internal drive instead of an external solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users