24 replies to this topic

#21 SledgY

SledgY

Master

• Atomican
  • 917 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

Playing the devils advocate re Java

It's not as fast as C/C++ but it's probably the next best thing.

Not exactly true, in some use cases this is correct but in others it doesn't hold. A virtual machine with a garbage collector has some advantages for the optimisation of memory allocation and can actually outperform pure C/C++.

For somebody new to programming I would advocate against JavaScript being the first language. Yes node.js has moved JS server side but the language itself is actually rather complex and has a lot of warts and pitfalls that are not obvious to a beginner. JavaScript is essentially Scheme with a Java-like syntax and was developed in a very short period (several months). Get to know a better designed language before diving into JavaScript and when you do use jslint to ensure you don't fall into these traps.

Examples of common gotchas:
  • Forgetting to use var for a variable creates a global variable (can have difficult to debug side effects).
  • The foreach can have un-expected values unless an appropriate guard is used.

Edited by SledgY, 16 May 2013 - 11:03 AM.

poweredbypenguins.org - SledgY lives in the cloud...

#22 Electr0

Electr0

Master

• Atomican
  • 841 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

ill give Python a go then.

Posted Image

I've always wanted to learn a language, but never really know what I'd use it for, or what I'd create with it. As such, I never have. Let us know how you go :)

Edited by Electr0, 16 May 2013 - 01:50 PM.

-Be nice to n00bs, you were one once! [Intel i7-920 @ 3.0Ghz | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 | G.Skill DDR3-1600 CL9 12GB Kit | Gigabyte HD7970 | OCZ Vertex 4 | Corsair HX620 | TRUE Cooler | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Dell U2713HM | Antec 1200 Case | Logitech G-15 | Razer Lachesis | Logitech Z-5500]

#23 SledgY

SledgY

Master

• Atomican
  • 917 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

ill give Python a go then.

Posted Image

I've always wanted to learn a language, but never really know what I'd use it for, or what I'd create with it. As such, I never have. Let us know how you go :)

There are actually a few python easter-eggs, from the python interpreter:
import antigravity

import this

import __hello__

poweredbypenguins.org - SledgY lives in the cloud...

#24 kikz

kikz

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,502 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

there was a recent tech demo showing off the Unreal Engine running in Firefox).

I posted that on these forums, but no fucks were given :(

http://forums.atomic...showtopic=54189

oh and long time absent hetman. hi!

#25 pumpjockey02

pumpjockey02

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

Scythe I am learning java too, You can get the learning java the hardway of the net and I am also using pythonista on my ipad. Its fun so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users