• Please log in to reply
755 replies to this topic

#741 Mordenakhnen

Mordenakhnen

Charge

• Atomican
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:42 PM

Been playing some Watch Dogs 2. With the "Extra Detail" slider at 100% it is hammering my i5 4670, the hottest core hitting 81 Celsius (stock cooler) and the fan howling relative to normal. Tentatively looking at a Corsair Hydro Series H90, shame there's a Steam sale in the way.

Went back to the Thief reboot after having played through Dishonored 2 as Corvo and geeze do I hate the sound of the new voice of Garrett, wasn't too fussed when Thief was released but Stephen Russell, may he live forever and voice many good game characters.

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebus.

-----------------------------------

If you fall, I'll be there.

- Floor

#742 Spriggan

Spriggan

Guru

• Atomican
  • 8,699 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:56 PM

Wildstar

If you have not played before give it a go its free and fun

(\__/) (='.'=) (")_(")

#743 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,446 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:23 AM

As I mentioned earlier, I've been replaying Mass Effect...  Just finished 2 complete games of ME1, and moved on to ME2, and boy howdy was I mega-disappointed.  "I don't remember feeling like this about it the first time!" thinks I.

So, I look around the web to see if anyone else has noted the same thing.  Initially, I find that ME2 is generally regarded as the best of the series (by more than 50% of poll respondents!) and that makes me wonder wtf is wrong with me.  And then I start noticing something: these are not people who've played ME1 first, or even at all.  Figuring I'm onto something, I start looking at the "what happened to my inventory/mods/skilltree/etc?" questions, and then I come upon this: http://forgetamnesia...is-terrible-and

(He really should have proofread that article.)

YES!  That's exactly what I'm feeling about ME2 atm!

Ok, so maybe I'm still nuts, but somehow knowing there's at least one person in the world with the same delusion is very comforting. ;p

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#744 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,714 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:04 PM

yeah i really didnt like the gameplay in me2 near as much

the cover system changes really annoyed the hell out of me to

edit

since se updates have improved a number of things including the netcode allowing rotors to work better in mp i tried another x-wing

unfortunately the thrusters dont work very well on the rotors still so i stopped there after a early test

http://images.akamai...7EE80C88719685/

to make one that flies well it would have to have all thrusters fixed to center chassis and only the wings fold

even then they dont fold down perfectly flush

Edited by Dasa, 23 December 2016 - 04:33 PM.

2600k@4.3 1.3v - Z77-GENE - 2x4g 2133 9-10-10 - 290@ 1185\5400MHz +100mv - OCZ Synapse 120g cache Toshiba 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - MCW60  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 http://forums.atomic...-3#entry1160361

#745 ssar

ssar

Charge

• Atomican
  • 265 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:16 AM

Replayed Sniper 2 on XBox360 recently on moderate difficulty, was fun.

Yesterday started Doom18+ on XBox1, pretty cool.

#746 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:53 PM

Wolfenstein: The New Order

good:

- i love that its a throwback to retro FPS days but still modern and slick

- and so much polish.  one the few games to draw me in to the cut scenes + story

bad:

- its not fucking hard enough!

srsly.  i am playing it on "Uber" FFS, which is the hardest of 5 difficulty settings.   i am near to the end now and i've only been in a pickle a couple of times, and one of those was because of (as far as i can tell) a bug with the rifle mounted rocket launcher.  granted, i am fairly awesome :), but i shouldnt be swimming in health and ammo nearly as much as i am.  its bullshit.  there are far better players than me, and i'm of the belief that the hardest setting should be nearly impossible -- like the 'Nightmare' setting in the original DOOMs.  this is where all the hand-holdy aim-assisted console-esque fucking BULLSHIT has gotten us.   /rant

no pung intended

#747 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,446 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:45 PM

Wolfenstein: The New Order

bad:

- its not fucking hard enough!

Try actually playing the old stuff again.  I think you'll find that you actually do rock by that old standard.  Shooters, despite said console "hand-holdy" stuff, have steadily become harder since their introduction.

#748 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:20 PM

well, the 'nightmare' setting of old actually was ridiculous and 100% unplayable to the non-deranged, imo.  so i dont really want that.  its more the case that if a game has 5 settings, ie. roughly one each side of the standard easy/medium/hard, then i expect to be properly punished on the hardest — like, oops i need a new monitor because this one has a fucking fist stuck in it, punished. but still somewhere well short of the ragequit-inducing experience that can result if every enemy variable is just dumbly ramped up.  i mean, continually getting through each section only by the skin of your teeth so that youre left a quivering mass of frayed nerves — but in a good way. 

take Far Cry 4, for example.  the hardest fortresses in FC4 were bullshit hard even when you were fairly well kitted out, which was great.  and whilst it was easy enough to build yourself up with small-fry missions, that crazy-hard experience was there to be had.  i was often down to my last bullet and inches from death, having no other choice but to string together a bunch of unlikely knife kills and impossible hero shit.  thats what i live for in an FPS — those moments you wish you were on Twitch because the world needs to know about what just happened.  in Wolfenstein, too many times when things are threatening to get like that i run into health and ammo galore.  it could pretty much be fixed with less stuff lying around, which makes me think it wasnt properly (or at all) play-tested on the Uber setting.  i suspect its much more likely the devs fell into the habit of making blind tweaks and erring on the side of overcompensation re powerups.

and yes, i agree that these games have gotten harder.  a lot of the shit that would quickly get you killed IRL has been factored in.  and i have few major qualms with the AI in FPSs these days.   enemies routinely seek cover and outflank, and they do a lot more higher level stuff like 'listening' to exploit your vulnerability during reloads.  all good stuff.  its much harder to 'game the game' now by exploiting sloppy AI quirks.  theres a lot that needs improvement, of course, but i do appreciate that we have entered a phase of diminished returns where the bare minimum of 'must haves' have mostly been nailed down, and gains will be more incremental from now on.

what i really want from a maximum difficulty setting is a sense of achievement.  i want it to mean something that you could even complete it, period.  which means, beyond avoiding excessive powerups, a game should, ideally, not overly reward knowledge gained through repetition nor excessive caution.  did you prevail because you died a lot and slowly learnt which baddie was around what corner?  was it because the game made it feasible to be absurdly cautious and spend 100 trigger pulls effectively brute-forcing the hitbox of a stupidly long range headshot with a pistol?  or was it straight up awesomeness?    its a delicate balance.

no pung intended

#749 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:09 PM

As I mentioned earlier, I've been replaying Mass Effect... 

so, you found that you soured on ME2...

whats your advice then to someone who's never played it.  should i play the series from the start or go straight to 3? 

no pung intended

#750 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,446 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:42 PM

whats your advice then to someone who's never played it.  should i play the series from the start or go straight to 3?

Honestly, you may really like ME2 - a lot of people do. The issue is that ME1 was a roleplaying game through and through: you had many skills to advance, and hundreds of equipment variations each of which had even more upgrade options. ME2 is not - it's an action game, with RPG clothing. There are all of four talents, each character has 2 guns (except the player, who has half a dozen or so) and 2 armors - no adjustment of any of it. And whilst the limited amount of gear does appear to be different, there's no almost no indication of how - you're left to assume the new gun is superior because it looks it and comes later.

BUT, that drastic simplification does make the game much quicker to get into, and harder to bone yourself by advancing a skill you don't use. Also, the special ammo talents are probably superior to ME1's hardware options.

Story-wise, the first two are probably close to equal. Your choices matter more in ME1 than ME2 - the first has actual character interaction consequences, whereas the second just sends you a nasty email for anyone not in your team (those you can fuck up enough that they won't speak to you - but they still fight).

For me, it's important to get the story in order over the series, so they went in order. Shame I don't have the third one.

#751 jblu

jblu

Serf

• Lurker
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

Battlefield 1 on PS4. Nothing like bayonet charges on a 75"

#752 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,613 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:49 PM

Ended up getting a steam link, so I can play Steam games on my TV with a PS4 controller

Controller mapping is a bit of a nuisance however.  Like, the mapping software can map just about anything, but it can get quite tedious working out what functions you want on what buttons and setting the sensitivity of every thing.

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#753 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,714 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:51 PM

im hooked on nwn again playing on http://victorian-nordock.com/

cleric%20monk%20cot%20divine%20wrath.jpg

2600k@4.3 1.3v - Z77-GENE - 2x4g 2133 9-10-10 - 290@ 1185\5400MHz +100mv - OCZ Synapse 120g cache Toshiba 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - MCW60  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 http://forums.atomic...-3#entry1160361

#754 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,446 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:42 AM

im hooked on nwn again...

Easy game to do that with, imho. That looks like a fun setting.

#755 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:54 PM

https://www.gog.com/...stem_shock_demo

After two decades, Nightdive Studios is rebooting and re-imagining the original System Shock.

We will keep the new game true to the classic experience, keeping all the things you loved while giving today's gamers the modern look and feel expected from a AAA title.

This Pre-Alpha Demo will give you a brief preview of the game.

"...I’ve long said that if you updated the graphics, sound and UI on System Shock you’d have something that competes directly with any game on the market today. Now the Nightdive folks are doing that update and I’m confident my prediction will be validated. SHODAN demands that you support this so we can all find out.” --Warren Spector, OtherSide Entertainment. Producer on the original System Shock.

---------

very short, but...pre-alpha.  looks okay.  the aesthetic is not exactly how i would imagine an updated version.  but if the feel is right, it could be great.  

no pung intended

#756 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,446 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:17 PM

"...I’ve long said that if you updated the graphics, sound and UI on System Shock you’d have something that competes directly with any game on the market today..."

I've long said that about quite a few games - and several of them have been ones that turned out to be a sequel, but should have been the original game with new graphics.  Nice to see someone actually trying that for once, rather than f-ing it up with 'improvements'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users