• Please log in to reply
784 replies to this topic

#781 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,752 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:40 PM

Try going back and playing the original Quake without mods.  No mouse-look at all.

... Are you sure about that, smadge? Because I remember DOOM being the first to make use of mouse to steer your 'character' (POV, really - there was no character involved), and Quake came after that.

Edited by Cybes, 09 June 2017 - 02:40 PM.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#782 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,602 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:06 PM

Doom doesn't allow pitch control, if enemies are vertically above or below you, it just automatically aims without the viewport tilting (also remembering Doom wasn't in fact proper 3D but "2.5D" with it's kludge to allow differing floor heights).

Edited by Rybags, 09 June 2017 - 03:08 PM.

#783 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,752 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:11 PM

Doom doesn't allow pitch control, if enemies are vertically above or below you, it just automatically aims without the viewport tilting (also remembering Doom wasn't in fact proper 3D but "2.5D" with it's kludge to allow differing floor heights).

Well, yeah - but allowing for the vertical axis being entirely illusory, 'mouselook' was firmly in place.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#784 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,602 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:53 PM

I don't have it installed... but fairly sure it was just a variable vertical viewpoint but always oriented parallel to the floor.

#785 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,522 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:22 PM

yep.  there was no mouse look in original DOOM.  a hacky form of mouse look did arrive with Heretic though (which used much the same engine)

no pung intended

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users