• Please log in to reply
799 replies to this topic

#781 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,938 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:40 PM

Try going back and playing the original Quake without mods.  No mouse-look at all.

... Are you sure about that, smadge? Because I remember DOOM being the first to make use of mouse to steer your 'character' (POV, really - there was no character involved), and Quake came after that.

Edited by Cybes, 09 June 2017 - 02:40 PM.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#782 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,947 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:06 PM

Doom doesn't allow pitch control, if enemies are vertically above or below you, it just automatically aims without the viewport tilting (also remembering Doom wasn't in fact proper 3D but "2.5D" with it's kludge to allow differing floor heights).

Edited by Rybags, 09 June 2017 - 03:08 PM.

#783 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,938 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:11 PM

Doom doesn't allow pitch control, if enemies are vertically above or below you, it just automatically aims without the viewport tilting (also remembering Doom wasn't in fact proper 3D but "2.5D" with it's kludge to allow differing floor heights).

Well, yeah - but allowing for the vertical axis being entirely illusory, 'mouselook' was firmly in place.

#784 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,947 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:53 PM

I don't have it installed... but fairly sure it was just a variable vertical viewpoint but always oriented parallel to the floor.

#785 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,559 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:22 PM

yep.  there was no mouse look in original DOOM.  a hacky form of mouse look did arrive with Heretic though (which used much the same engine)

no pung intended

#786 Mordenakhnen

Mordenakhnen

Charge

• Atomican
  • 365 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:07 PM

Just finished the single player campaign in Sniper Elite 4 on second highest difficulty. Had it been two or three times longer it would still have been too short in my opinion, quite an enjoyable game.

People worry that computers will get too smart and take over the world, but the real problem is that they’re too stupid and they already have.

- computer scientist Pedro Domingo.

#787 Sierra Causey

Sierra Causey

Serf

• Lurker
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:22 AM

Just picked up middle-earth: shadow of war and Hollow Knight during summer sales.Both of them are single player. Hollow knight got some amazing story line , and game play . just like a 2d version of dark soul. U lost everything after u die and u need to retrieve your soul in other to get your stuff back. Middle-earth is fun to play , also its cheap af only 5 bucks

Edited by Sierra Causey, 08 July 2017 - 06:23 AM.

#788 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,947 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:22 PM

Giving Black Mesa a bit of a go.

Some nice HD textures and worlds but the load time during gameplay is annoying.  Supposedly a later version fixes it, no idea what version I have, think it's from early 2015.

#789 Sir_Substance

Sir_Substance

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,773 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:08 AM

I've been playing a bunch of ballistic overkill. Pretty strong arena shooter mechanics, but they're having hacking problems and don't have a robust reporting mechanism in place, which I suspect will push them the way of T:V aka everyone leaving because it gets too poisonous, which is a shame. I have albion a quick spin, but there's not a lot there at the moment. You get a few quests to intro you to the crafting system, and then the game seems to be about logging and skinning your way across the whole damn continent. I'll probably drop back in 6 months time and see if there's a bit more to do.
Kablez- You can only beat a brick wall with so many sticks until... you wasted all your time collecting and breaking sticks against a wall... Tantryl- Knowledge is the new power, but will never provide a stable baseload as cost effective as burning puppies. mm80x: I allege that Sir substance must be from the internet

#790 Sierra Causey

Sierra Causey

Serf

• Lurker
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:15 AM

I recently bought the game zelda :BOFT switch edition. It is literally the best game I have played so far, The map is so big yet it wont let you feel its too big. Also ,The side quest and the main story is so fun to play. Yestersday I just got the dlc season pass. The trial of sword is truly difficult to win, however it is so rewarding to finally beat it.

#791 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,734 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:59 AM

Ok, so I've wrapped up a bunch of Telltale games, Batman, Walking Dead S1 & S2, Tales from the Borderlands.

Started Guardians of the Galaxy, but they've only released 2 eps so far.

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#792 Riddler

Riddler

Serf

• Lurker
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:42 PM

I'm playing Dark Souls II at the moment!

Had already forgotten how hard this game is... ;-)

#793 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,938 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:00 AM

Finally got another character through all the Skyrim quests I wish to finish. That leaves the civil war, Boethia, the Black Blade (Mephala), and the Thieves' Guild untouched.

I destroyed the Assassins' Guild with great fury and enthusiasm. Wish I could do the same for Maven and her Thieves.

#794 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,734 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

I finally got to start a New Game+ on Horizon Zero Dawn.  I'd attempted to start a new game before they released New Game+, and it was an annoying grind.

I just wish I'd started New Game+ on the Very Hard difficulty (I wimped out at the last second and chose Hard)

ok ok, decided to restart New Game+ on the Ultra Hard difficulty, so I can get both trophies in one go

Edited by smadge1, 18 August 2017 - 10:33 AM.

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#795 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,947 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:45 PM

Got to the "end" of Black Mesa (Half Life port to newer engine).

Annoyingly the last part currently is where the scientist powers up the beam to send you offworld.  Since that part of the original was so piss-poor in many opinions the makers of BM decided to remake that part of the game.  Supposedly this December is the release date but given it's been 8 years in the making who knows how far that might slip.

It was fun though, I'd just forgotten all about large parts of the game and in fact surprised that so little of it is outdoors.  The other 2 annoyances are the ridiculous loading time when you hit loadpoints that took a second or two in the original, and the fact that there's just a buzz, no "Access denied!" when you attempt to use the eye scanner to get into areas you're not allowed into.

#796 Soulessdeath

Soulessdeath

Learner

• Quark
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

Destiny 2, Great game so far only level 7 though. Will be getting it on PC when it releases. On a side note any recommendations on games for the oculus rift? 

PC's, Cars, Marine communications  a Bit of everything in life.  Especially Gaming.

#797 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,158 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:56 PM

Started playing Settlers Online, after seeing how poor the last few games in the series are by modern standards.

It's... an interesting tradeoff between always running, and enticing you to give it all your spare attention.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#798 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,938 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:34 PM

Backlog of games is huge. Just cleaned up The Technomancer. What an mixed bag! Enjoyed the story, and the hub-based levels gave me a strong SW:KotOR feel which was good... But the 'easy' difficulty was way harder than the hardest setting on many modern games; there was far too much backtracking involved; and the control scheme sucked big hairy ones - thankfully you could remap some of that mess.

One playthrough was enough, I think. Any further is going to be pretty much a carbon-copy of the first, since the only variables will be your fighting style and who you side with.

Finally got started on Bioshock Infinite. The world they made is much larger than you get to see - Elizabeth goes sprinting off into the distance at every opportunity. Usually only stopping when it's obvious I'm not following, or she runs smack into a bunch of dudes with guns.

#799 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:36 PM

So I bought PUBG, and it's TERRIBLE.

Wait for a match.

Load the match

Wait for the plane.

Wait for the parachute

HOPE you land near weapons. (you never know whats in which building)

And if you die quickly, repeat the waiting.

And even if you live through to the middle of the match, or toward the end, it takes so long, if you wanted to rematch with the same folks, most have left.

If they havent, just add another 25 minutes of WAITING to the game.

I currently have a refund pending.

Save your cash, it's absolute balls, overhyped, and boring.

It's a shooter game for people who can't think quickly and get some sort of rush from sniping people from glitched holes.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#800 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,734 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:21 AM

Don't worry, every other game company is soon gonna be on the Battle Royale bandwagon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users