11 replies to this topic

#1 p0is0n

p0is0n

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

Hey guys,

My google-fu is failing me today, I've found some software that does this, but the ones I've tested don't seem to do support binary transfers. It should be pretty simple.

I don't need anything fancy, just software that can watch a folder for items being scanned by a usb scanner, and upload to an FTP where they will be grabbed by software on the server.

Has to work on Windows, and would prefer open source.

Anyone have any suggestions or experience with software that does this?

Thanks

Edit: testing Auto FTPnow.. but open to any suggestions.

Edited by p0is0n, 05 July 2013 - 07:20 PM.

i7 2600k | Z68A-GD80 | 8GB RAM | CF 7970 | 120GB SSD | 1kW PSU | Butchered Case | Water Cooling | U2713H HP N40L | 16GB RAM | 7x WD 2TB | Ubuntu | ZFS

#2 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:13 AM

I'd suggest using any of the freeware software that will map an FTP source as a HDD\web folder
http://lifehacker.co...rive-in-windows

Really you should be using SFTP, but thats another discussion.

From there, just use Synctoy to check sync between folders every half hour or something?

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#3 p0is0n

p0is0n

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:41 AM

thanks for the suggestion, I can try mapping a network drive and scanning straight into it. dunno why i didnt think of that before.
i7 2600k | Z68A-GD80 | 8GB RAM | CF 7970 | 120GB SSD | 1kW PSU | Butchered Case | Water Cooling | U2713H HP N40L | 16GB RAM | 7x WD 2TB | Ubuntu | ZFS

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

If you dont need an offline copy too; sure!

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 p0is0n

p0is0n

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

If you dont need an offline copy too; sure!

the network drive is a watch folder for a document management system, which is backed up nightly so offline copies aren't required. I've got 2 giant multifunctions set up to scan direct to ftp, but this particular user has a usb scanner they want to use from their office without having to get up and walk to one of the communal scanners... so hence why im looking for these kind of solutions :)

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

Did this work? If so, time to look at sftp, not to be confused with FTP+S

#7 Xen

Xen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

Have you thought about just scripting this up? Setup a scheduled task to compare the two folders at whatever interval is appropriate for you. When it shows new files / folders on the left copy it to the right. Do an md5 / SHA sum of both if you want. It should be easy enough to do in a language like python or perl that has a good library of plugins for things like FTP and email to email you warnings or job completion. Being a windows box you could use powershell for this as well. Edit: as M_S suggested SFTP would be better but if you are running a full MS environment it can be a pain in the ass to setup and flaky to boot. Unencrypted protocols FTL.

Edited by Xen, 10 July 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#8 p0is0n

p0is0n

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

Thanks guys, if it was my own data i'd probably use SFTP, neither of the multifunctions use SFTP so I won't bother with it on this scanner either. Mapping as a network drive doesn't work unfortunately, so I'm back to AutoFTP. Was going to test it this morning but ran out of time on site so will wait till next time I'm out there. It's not an urgent job, just something I need to try and do eventually to save them a few seconds of time. I'll look at a script to do it, however would need to be able to detect a change in the watch folder instantly to be worth while doing. I will be sure to share whatever solution I end up using. Thanks.

Edited by p0is0n, 10 July 2013 - 03:00 PM.

#9 p0is(+)n

p0is(+)n

Learner

• Atomican
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

I forgot to update this but I will do it now as I've had to do something similar again. I ended up using some free software called WinSCP which allows scripting of most functions.

I created a batch file that launches the program:
winscp.exe /log=%TEMP%\!S.log /console /script=test.txt

Then a text file (script) which does what I need it to do:
option batch on 
option confirm off 
open ftp_user@ftp.server.com.au

put -delete "C:\test folder\"*.tif *.pdf *.txt /Test/

exit

This will upload all files in the specified folder to the /Test/ folder on the FTP server and then delete then once the upload is confirmed. This is exactly what I needed it to do.
I then scheduled the task to run every 5 minutes so the scans are quickly sent to the FTP server and then grabbed by the document manager as they land in it's watch folder.

Very simple, works very well. Supports SFTP and also supports a lot of other functions and is very customisable. Highly recommended.
Best of all its free and open source.
WinSCP

#10 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

Ive never known about the scripting side; but I use WinSCP exclusively. Nice choice :D

#11 Deserted

Deserted

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:08 PM

Late reply, but I've previously used the old Novell Netdrive for this, works brilliantly, runs in systray and keeps foler in sync between local and remote (FTP/SFTP/SCP) folder.

old download available at http://download.chip...ve_6398169.html

#12 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:38 AM

seeing that tool really highlights to me where we're going wrong in IT. Integration. Every bloody thing has its own 'tool' now. Why cant FTP always be a folder like it used to be? Why cant I map vitual CDroms easily across a network? (i know i can share them, but the PC doesnt look at it as a CD, its a rad only file share) I miss the days of seamless daemontools, Novell Netware, and NetMeeting being the go-to's. Microsoft needs to stop developing for a second, but the rights to integrate the 'big things' used online into their software, and away we go!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users