16 replies to this topic

#1 Electr0

Electr0

Master

• Atomican
  • 841 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

Hey All,

So I have a small headless Ubuntu server running at home. It runs a SAMBA server which shares a huge collection of TV Shows on a RAID 5 array to anyone connected to hour home network.

I am using a Flexget and a Deluge deamon to download said TV Show torrents which are placed in the "Downloads" folder on the OS drive of the server. I then manually transfer them to RAID array and place them in the appropriate files.

Sidenote: Yes, I am aware that Flexget and Deluge can automagically place them in the appropriate folder, but that's beside the point.

I currently transfer them from the OS drive to the RAID array using my Windows PC connected to the SAMBA share folders. This means that the files are actually transferred from the Server OS drive to my computer then back to the RAID array, at least is looks that way by the huge amount of network activity and bandwidth usage that occurs when I copy said files. This means that my transfer rates are about 35 MB/s, which I presume is limited by my wired gigabit ethernet connection.

So, what I'm wondering is, is there some kind of program out there, that either runs on my PC or can be run remotely through Putty, that will allow me to remotely copy local (server) files, and provide me with some kind of GUI to do so? Therefore copying directly from the OS drive to the RAID array. I can obviously do this through Putty by using the cp command, or using rsync to recursively copy files, but a GUI would make it much easier.

I guess the best explanation of the function would be like running Windows Explorer on the Sever and connect to it on my PC via VNC.

Anyone have any ideas?
-Be nice to n00bs, you were one once! [Intel i7-920 @ 3.0Ghz | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 | G.Skill DDR3-1600 CL9 12GB Kit | Gigabyte HD7970 | OCZ Vertex 4 | Corsair HX620 | TRUE Cooler | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Dell U2713HM | Antec 1200 Case | Logitech G-15 | Razer Lachesis | Logitech Z-5500]

#2 mudjimba

mudjimba

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

Yes, install a VNC server on ubuntu, and use that to control it via GUI. It will mirror a ubuntu server desktop to your windows machine. There are plenty to choose from, just do a google search "install vnc on ubuntu".

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

as above, VNC app, you'll need to be running X though, and some form of GUI shell

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 Electr0

Electr0

Master

• Atomican
  • 841 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

Hmm that annoying, because I'm running Ubuntu Server Edition. Probably should have mentioned that. Which means, like you said, I would have to install some kind of X11 interface. Maybe I should start to learn Python and try and write my own program :\
-Be nice to n00bs, you were one once! [Intel i7-920 @ 3.0Ghz | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 | G.Skill DDR3-1600 CL9 12GB Kit | Gigabyte HD7970 | OCZ Vertex 4 | Corsair HX620 | TRUE Cooler | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Dell U2713HM | Antec 1200 Case | Logitech G-15 | Razer Lachesis | Logitech Z-5500]

#5 SledgY

SledgY

Master

• Atomican
  • 917 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

Can you run a web based file management application on the server? Or write your own as a learning exercise ;)
poweredbypenguins.org - SledgY lives in the cloud...

#6 CptnChrysler

CptnChrysler

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

Midnight commander ( mc ) over SSH using PuTTy as the windows client is the easiest and lightest way I can think of. Just ssh in to the server with puTTY, 'sudo apt-get install mc' on the server and then type mc to run midnight commander. If you need administrator privileges for mc then 'sudo mc' .
Everyone's entitled to my opinion! I've got the T-Shirt to prove it.

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

actually.... Cant Webmin do file copys? You could HTTP in with a webbrowser....

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#8 smakme7757

smakme7757

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:59 AM

WINSCP. http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

It's a GUI for SSH.

It's what i use when I'm doing Windows to Linux. Drag and drop baby :P

#9 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:18 AM

yeah but he wants linux to linux, from a windows box.

#10 Electr0

Electr0

Master

• Atomican
  • 841 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

Can you run a web based file management application on the server?

Yes, I kind of do atm, I have WebMin.

actually.... Cant Webmin do file copys?
You could HTTP in with a webbrowser....

As above. Yes, I could, and it works well, for single files or small files. But when you want to copy GBs of data (like movies or tv shows) it just freezes, or is temperamental. It seems to work sometimes, if given enough time, but there is no progress bar and you can't do anything with the window while it's copying.

Midnight commander ( mc ) over SSH using PuTTy as the windows client is the easiest and lightest way I can think of.

Yup, thought of that, and have MC installed, but as far as I'm aware MC uses the rm command, which isn't recursive. Also I don't think it has a progress bar either.

WINSCP. http://winscp.net/eng/index.php
It's a GUI for SSH.
It's what i use when I'm doing Windows to Linux. Drag and drop baby :P

yeah but he wants linux to linux, from a windows box.

Hmmm, I'll have a look at that when I get home tonight. I did read about it somewhere.
Have to see what it's all about and if I can make it do what I want.

Edited by Electr0, 06 August 2013 - 04:55 PM.

#11 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

Your easiest solution will be to run some form of X server, and the lightest desktop environment you can find.
It'll take you two or three lines of ARP to install this, and you'll be done.
Then install xRDP, so you can use windows built in MSTSC to remote in.
Done.

You could even have a script used to logout that kills the X server, and a script that listens for data on your RDP port, and starts the service.

But really; how fine are your resources? Is running X.org\x11 going to bring your system to a halt?

http://thanhsiang.org/faqing/node/120

then apt-get install xrdp

#12 CptnChrysler

CptnChrysler

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

If you're going to install an X server on to the linux server then you might want to just tunnel the GUI file manger you prefer instead of a whole VNC or RDP desktop session.

Here's a howto.

If you're only displaying one window across the network there's less lag and bandwith.

#13 Electr0

Electr0

Master

• Atomican
  • 841 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

Cheers guys. I'll have a look into it and keep you posted :)

#14 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

If you're going to install an X server on to the linux server then you might want to just tunnel the GUI file manger you prefer instead of a whole VNC or RDP desktop session.

Here's a howto.

If you're only displaying one window across the network there's less lag and bandwith.

I disagree if his main rig is a windows machine.
mstsc is available anywhere you go for remote access, and on the 56k modem setting uses bugger all data.
As I was hinting at, if running an idle X server, and using low settings RDP brings his server to its knees, he's already cutting it way too close and should worry more about some upgrades than remote access, lol.

#15 p0is0n

p0is0n

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

I know mc does copy so you can look at this, or use it in combination with the cp command and screen.

You can use lfm - might be more what you're after.
sudo apt-get install lfm

Posted Image
i7 2600k | Z68A-GD80 | 8GB RAM | CF 7970 | 120GB SSD | 1kW PSU | Butchered Case | Water Cooling | U2713H HP N40L | 16GB RAM | 7x WD 2TB | Ubuntu | ZFS

#16 CptnChrysler

CptnChrysler

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

Here's a howto.

As I was hinting at, if running an idle X server, and using low settings RDP brings his server to its knees, he's already cutting it way too close and should worry more about some upgrades than remote access, lol.

I agree on this point but I was just offering another option. It's more about available network bandwidth anyway.

Besides this is Atomic and running remote graphical linux apps on your windows desktop and having it appear seamless is just cool. I remember doing it using WinaXe and PuTTy some 10 or more years ago after Ashon Mills wrote up an article. Setup wasn't very hard and once it was running it was pretty slick to use, though there were issues with cut and past between apps running on different machines...

I remember spinning out one of my mates with a demonstration of the "new Linux/Windows hybrid OS pirate alpha" I'd gotten a copy of - until he twigged that there were in fact two boxes running under my desk.
Maybe I should get a Rasberry Pi and have another play with this...

#17 Deserted

Deserted

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:04 PM

there are also a few web based file managers you could use for this, for example http://elfinder.org/

Have to make sure you get the permissions right for the user, I'd suggest suexec setup so that the user you normally shell into (not root I hope :P) can move files between the locations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users