• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,926 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

Before I get into this; Any idea how, when I make my Android phone a hotspot, to have all webpages direct to a landing page?

Anyway.
https://play.google....?...imate&hl=en

Have you seen the latest additions to this bloody thing?
For the click impaired:
CVS
DC Hub
DHCP
DLNA
DNS
DDNS
eDonkey
Email (POP3 / SMTP)
FTP Proxy
FTP
FTPS
Flash Policy
Git
Gopher
HTTP Snoop
ICAP
IRC Bot
IRC
ISCSI
Icecast
LPD
Load Balancer
MQTT
Memcached
MongoDB
MySQL
NFS
NTP
NZB Client
Napster
PHP + Lighttpd
PXE
Port Forwarder
Proxy
RTMP
Remote Control
Rsync
SMB/CIFS
SMPP
SMS
Socks
SFTP
SSH
Server Monitor
Stomp
Styx
Syslog
TFTP
Telnet
Test
Time
Torrent Client
Torrent Tracker
Trigger
UPnP Port Mapper
VNC
Wake On Lan
Web
WebDAV
WebSocket
X11
XMPP

for a $6.50 app.....

And with Android-x86 providing a working image for Virtualbox
http://www.android-x...virtualboxhowto
This could be a very friendly GUI server app to add to existing file servers or the like.
I'm a fan of virtualising public facing servers; easier to blow them away if compromised; so this is bloody exciting! Now it has PHP and MySQL i'm going to see if it can run TinyBoard imageboard software :)
Might run my home servers external stuff from this. Exciting!

I however have a secondary goal.....
My goal is a random, but geeky one..... I have an old 800mhz SONIC sitting in my drawer.
I intend to attach it full time to a portable USB battery.

I then intend to open the hotspot up, and leave it 100% open. (no sim card of course).
I intend to have all HTTP requests hit a landing page, explaining I'm an open 64gb (microSD) file server, with every (reasonable) protocol you can think of enabled for anonymous access.
I want to see what files people share, what ends up being added or tweaked, and so on. A bit of a social experiment if you will.

I do expect to get a lot of pictures of peoples junk..... Not something I look forward to, but probably a reality.
It'll be interesting.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#2 Xen

Xen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

stuff.

Most people will probably hit it and move on, or make your landing page more amusing (to them).

You'd need to be in a fairly high traffic area for anyone to notice in the first place i think.

Also how often are these servers updated from upstream?

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,926 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

I did indeed say stuff :P And no idea how often they're updated. But security and features arent my goal (who ever though they'd hear THAT!). It can be as hackable as it wants. its an offline thing effectively, maybe a bit of a mesh network. While you're right, a lot will move on, not all will. I live next to public transport (literally) and I get a lot of attempts on my secured wifi in the mornings.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 SledgY

SledgY

Master

• Atomican
  • 917 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

This guy had better be careful, can't find links to any of the GPL code he is offering for sale. But seriously some of the things listed are a bit pointless (load balancer, memcache, ISCSI)?
poweredbypenguins.org - SledgY lives in the cloud...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users