• Please log in to reply
2069 replies to this topic

#2061 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

But when we're talking a business with 30+ phone points running over 'oldschool' PABX it's not going to happen.

Actually..... I don't see why it wouldn't be happening already....

Because the lines themselves are now 'Virtual' so all the PABX system goes into the NBN router, not connected to the initial copper run....

Most of our buildings have needed new copper from the street; since all lines are ISDN.

That sounds ok then. What I was referring to is the phone line comes in and splits off to multiple sockets that are all still connected to the outside world, so to speak, so you could set your VDSL modem up on any socket you wanted.

If all the phone ports connect back to a PABX on the customer side of the modem then this is not going to affect FTTN speeds at all.

It's been nearly 6 months since our first site converted with less than 1 down 1 up, and NBNCo keep telling us "They'll get to it", but as I said, no customer focused SLA, so we're expecting within the next 3 years to see someone (and for once I'm not joking).

OK, the town has no roads, and a weekly offroad bus only.

That said, this never stopped Telstra from flying in, within their 3 day SLA;

NBNCo? Well.... still waiting.

Ye NBN seems to have forgotten all about maintenance and customer support. Seems they are totally geared as an installation company with no thought to fault repair/maintenance. Suppose that would cost money and adversely affect their bottom line and rollout stats.

Doesn't matter if those connected have a barely usable or totally unusable connection, you are connected so a tick for their checklist.

Yahuh.

Even worse is whatever they used to estimate backhaul in small towns.

I'd happily wager someone who needs all the latest Linux ISO's "Right Fucking Now" is paying for a 100/25 connection; even if he's not reaching it.

Because in a town, with less than 250 residents, Our sites can often see 10 down, 2 up, but spends majority of their time below 100KBps.

Like Clockwork

Nothing is changing locally (that particular site has 4 PC's in the same room, so it's pretty easy to check), so it has to be backhaul.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 21 November 2017 - 11:01 AM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#2062 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,411 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:40 PM

Nothing is changing locally (that particular site has 4 PC's in the same room, so it's pretty easy to check), so it has to be backhaul.

Easiest check for that is of course modem sync rate. If speed is significantly less than sync then it's congestion, but I am sure you know that already.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#2063 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:45 AM

Easiest check for that is of course modem sync rate. If speed is significantly less than sync then it's congestion, but I am sure you know that already.

I do, and unfortunately it's a managed service provided by the ISP, we get no oversight of it.

Though we have enough evidence to be pretty bloody confident.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#2064 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,411 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:50 AM

I do, and unfortunately it's a managed service provided by the ISP, we get no oversight of it.

Does that mean you actually have no direct access to the modem? If so that sucks, but not had to deal with managed services myself.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#2065 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:13 AM

Does that mean you actually have no direct access to the modem? If so that sucks, but not had to deal with managed services myself.

Correct.

They even disable LAN side management interface;

Only WAN side can log in, and only from their IP range.

They're CISCO modems though, so I've already tested, and I can Console into them via Serial.

Sounds horrible; but with a small team its actually a godsend.

"There's internet issues!"

*email provider*

Job Done.

It's only not been that simple since NBN seems to block a lot of the old options (like noise profiling)

Edited by Master_Scythe, Yesterday, 11:14 AM.

#2066 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,387 posts

Posted Today, 07:14 AM

the topic of this link lives and apparently thrives ( bloody marvelous !! ) as a result of poor internets and not much faith perhaps in the wonder of NBN ...

http://www.abc.net.a...wingham/9180718

" ...

Ms McKay believes NBN is one of the major reasons for her business's continued success.

"We are a little bit out of the way in Wingham and the internet signal isn't great," she said.

"So who would sit at home watching a pixelated image when you can have a clear picture with a DVD?"..."

I love that this store exists.

Edited by eveln, Today, 07:14 AM.

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#2067 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted Today, 08:51 AM

the topic of this link lives and apparently thrives ( bloody marvelous !! ) as a result of poor internets and not much faith perhaps in the wonder of NBN ...

http://www.abc.net.a...wingham/9180718

" ...

Ms McKay believes NBN is one of the major reasons for her business's continued success.

"We are a little bit out of the way in Wingham and the internet signal isn't great," she said.

"So who would sit at home watching a pixelated image when you can have a clear picture with a DVD?"..."

Haha, I suppose it's possible thats a cause.

But I live in a town with a decently large Blockbuster Video.

I asked the owner "Is it getting hard?"

And he explained 'Not at all!' apparently a "Trip to the Video Store" is still something the little kids enjoy (so they get lots of families).

I still go there, because renting a season of, say, Family Guy is only $7 one every few months when new ones come out; rather than paying for netflix or whatever it's on.

It's just so damn convenient. No credit cards, or logins, or checking who's using the Internet (remember we only have 50Mbps; so one heavy user means streaming bluray quality anything is buffer city!)

I walk in, look at the new release wall, scan two cards, and out I go.

I think part of the success is that they're next to a major grocery store, so "While we're there".

But it's never completely deserted, which is nice :)

#2068 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,055 posts

Posted Today, 10:25 AM

But I live in a town with a decently large Blockbuster Video.

There's still a Blockbuster over here in Mt Gambier, too. I have no idea how good the traffic is, but the place appears to be thriving. The NBN, such as it is, seems to be available at Netflix-friendly speeds in most places here.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#2069 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,033 posts

Posted Today, 11:07 AM

Don't those video stores get most of their money from overdue fees?

Having trouble with A [?]OS11.1?

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Australia in but Italy, Chile, Netherlands, USA = FAIL.

#2070 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted Today, 11:24 AM

Don't those video stores get most of their money from overdue fees?

I doubt it; otherwise they wouldn't be so generous.

Local blockbuster policy is that (with the exception of Overnight Releases) if you call up and let them know you'll be a day late, there is no fee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users