• Please log in to reply
2119 replies to this topic

#2101 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,462 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:25 AM

The (maybe) good news here is that the local drab olive box is only about 80 metres down the road.

Mine's across the road and one house down. Still drops 4Mb on that epic journey. ;p

Doesn't mean the copper runs direct to you. Could run up one side of the street then back down your side before going to your premises. This is one of the many problems with FTTN, the copper paths where laid out for ease of installation and to meet voice only requirements, not to bee useful for a data system that suffers major speed reductions with increased length.

In worst cases some people can see a node over the road or just around the corner, but their premises connects to a different node a km away. They lost the node lotto, big time.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#2102 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,641 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:39 PM

That's why I (maybe).   I'm near shops, the blocks I'm on and in immediate areas are ~ 25 years newer than the surrounding area.  The power and phone here is underground vs poles for the older places, so NFI what the infrastructure topography is.

Edited by Rybags, 20 April 2018 - 01:39 PM.

#2103 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,291 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:09 AM

Doesn't mean the copper runs direct to you. Could run up one side of the street then back down your side before going to your premises. This is one of the many problems with FTTN...

The copper being routed by the Moon would not surprise me in the least. Well, maybe it would: I don't have 8 seconds of latency. ;p

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#2104 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:13 AM

http://www.abc.net.a...ection=politics

NBN boss blames slow speeds on ... copper ... OMG shock horror!

Edited by Jeruselem, 30 April 2018 - 09:14 AM.

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

"We have some of the most beautiful hookers in the world" - Putin to Trump

#2105 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,462 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:54 PM

But I see he is still running with the FTTP would have been too expensive bullshit.

Tosspot.

#2106 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 02:20 PM

But I see he is still running with the FTTP would have been too expensive bullshit.

Tosspot.

Yes he has tow that particular political line still while he has that job.

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

#2107 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,384 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:37 AM

Convinced NBN I can actually get fixed wireless rather than shitty satellite - now I need to pick a RSP and convince the installer he may need more than a 3 metre mast to clear the road and gain LOS to the nearest tower :<
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#2108 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,462 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:00 AM

Convinced NBN I can actually get fixed wireless rather than shitty satellite - now I need to pick a RSP and convince the installer he may need more than a 3 metre mast to clear the road and gain LOS to the nearest tower :<

AFAIK 3 metres is the tallest mast approved by NBNCo, so I reckon you will be shit out of luck there. Anywhere else on the property with a better LOS to the tower? Don't forget the 3 metre mast can go on the roof so add in the roof height to your calculations.

If there is then you can get a non standard installation at that location either powered from that building or via solar panels and use a point to point wireless link to your house. Ubiquiti and Mikrotik make some good point to point wireless units with Ubiquiti being by far the easiest to set up.

https://birrraus.com is a good site for more info, eg

https://birrraus.com...-installations/

https://birrraus.com...reless-install/

https://birrraus.com...es-testmonials/

RSP wise the current Whirlpool favourites are

Aussie Broadband (not Australia broadband)

https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/

Leaptel

https://leaptel.com.au/

Both of these RSPs manage bandwidth to keep congestion as low as practicable.

#2109 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,384 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:41 AM

https://birrraus.com is a good site for more info

Gramyre put me onto their facebook group/page/thing; their desktop check was enough to get NBNco to swap me over after a short email.

I was leaning towards Telstra because of their smart modem for backup coverage, until I realised that the FW receiver has a modem with it - can you confirm you basically only run the box on a wall to a router for connectivity over a network?  We don't plan on using VoIP, so the current modem/router would suffice - but also it looks like they still won't offer 50mbps on FW, only 20, and fuck that.

Guess I'll give Aussie a go with their free month thing, and see how it goes from there.

3m antenna could be iffy if placed on the peak of the roof, even, because it should probably clear the road (we're slightly below the crest), but probably wouldn't be high enough to clear farm trucks going up and down the road.  At a previous residence we had a 10m steel pipe concreted into the ground and strapped to a verandah post for a CB antenna - we were prepared to do one of those again, but getting the antenna up there would be glhf for NBN :<

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#2110 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:54 AM

I have a anyone but Telstra attitude pretty much and I'm a shareholder of theirs ....

#2111 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,462 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:52 PM

Gramyre put me onto their facebook group/page/thing; their desktop check was enough to get NBNco to swap me over after a short email.

Ah don't use facebook.

I was leaning towards Telstra because of their smart modem for backup coverage, until I realised that the FW receiver has a modem with it - can you confirm you basically only run the box on a wall to a router for connectivity over a network?  We don't plan on using VoIP, so the current modem/router would suffice - but also it looks like they still won't offer 50mbps on FW, only 20, and fuck that.

Guess I'll give Aussie a go with their free month thing, and see how it goes from there.

Ye just need a router, no modem. So any router with a WAN port will work.

#2112 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,384 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:31 PM

Paid some proper attention tonight while driving home.  Peak of the house's roof is just above road level, so I guess 3m above that should be fine as long as we can angle through the foliage ok.

#2113 strifus

strifus

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:22 PM

I am really getting annoyed by Senator Fifield.  He keeps sprouting bullshit about the NBN being fit for purpose and in the same breath blaming Labor for leaving them a heap of shit to deal with.  What load of .....

Intel Core i7 3930K, Gigabyte x79-UD5, 16GB Corsair Vengence RAM, Gainward 1070GTX, 256GB Samsung 850 EVO, 3 x 1TB Hitachi HDD, LG BD-DVD Optical Drive, Corsair TX 750 PSU, CoolerMaster Hyper 412s HSF, CoolerMaster Cosmos II Tower.

#2114 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,462 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:18 AM

I am really getting annoyed by Senator Fifield.  He keeps sprouting bullshit about the NBN being fit for purpose and in the same breath blaming Labor for leaving them a heap of shit to deal with.  What load of .....

Just your typical right wing conservative attitude where any problems are always someone else's fault, never caused by something they did or didn't do.

Aided and abetted by the main stream media not hammering them on this sort of thing, they just let it slide.

#2115 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,641 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 12:01 PM

Really?  What's the last time a left-leaning politician admitted their mistake?

Half-past never as I see it.

KRudd had an ongoing clusterfuck for the 3 years or whatever it was he had the leadership and about the only admission of error he ever made related to people he'd put trust in who later backstabbed him.

Then you have the Greens - piss and moan as often as most people breath.

#2116 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 08:57 PM

The original FTTP was overbudget and a little off schedule but now we have **** mess with FTTN and then FTTC running way off schedule and 2 x the original budget.

#2117 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,641 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:57 PM

It's a government run project, par for the course.  Probably less than 5% of anything above trivial projects ever arrive ahead of deadline or without a blown budget.

#2118 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 11:05 PM

It's a government run project, par for the course.  Probably less than 5% of anything above trivial projects ever arrive ahead of deadline or without a blown budget.

Yes, the much publicized Snow Mountains 2.0 scheme is now 2 x the cost ... and they haven't even freaking started.

#2119 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,384 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:01 PM

Yay, easy install.

Went from 20/1 (more like 11/1) ADSL2+, to 50/20 (more like 35/12 so far) FW.

Speaking of the NBN being too expensive, 50mbps FW doesn't qualify for the cheaper CVC prices everything else got, apparently, so that's an extra 5-10$/month :\

#2120 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:53 PM

Enjoy the need for speed !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users