• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 redrob

redrob

Master

• Atomican
  • 812 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

File reading failed: VLC could not open the file "H:\DCIM\101MEDIA\PTDC0017.MOV". (Bad file descriptor) Your input can't be opened: VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///H:/DCIM/101MEDIA/PTDC0017.MOV'. Check the log for details. I get this dam error after i try to transfer files from my micro ssd card to my pc,if i insert the micro card in to the card reader and insert it in the usb then go to my computer find the storage device in my computer right click on the DCMI file and open up the video files they are all there but some play and some dont.What am i doing wrong please.I think i have a good video then i cant open it .

some people worry bout the splinter in an others eye and forget about the log in there own

Cooler Master Cosmos SE case, ,Corsair HX 650 w ,Corsair H 100i Cooler , ,ASUS MG279Q 27inch WQHD IPS FreeSync Monitor

#2 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,314 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:36 AM

VLC could not open the file "H:\DCIM\101MEDIA\PTDC0017.MOV". (Bad file descriptor)
Your input can't be opened:

Is telling you why you can't open the file, it has a bad file descriptor which means it is corrupt or damaged in some way.
Best guess is you have a problem with your SSD card. Run a full checkdisk over it and see what it says.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

I say that card has reached its max writes, and is starting to drop data. replace it IMO. Also though, could be the reader. Try using the camera as a reader, with a USB cable. OR try re-watching said videos ON the camera.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 p0is(+)n

p0is(+)n

Learner

• Atomican
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

tried using quicktime instead of vlc for the .mov file?

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

Never had a problem with MOV in VLC, but you'd want QuickTimeAlternative, if you're not an itunes user. If no itunes, dont let that insideous piece of player on your system, lol.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#6 redrob

redrob

Master

• Atomican
  • 812 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

Gday aliali,and the master _scythe,and pois+n love it lol the name change that is. thanks for your help fellers ,Well that sucks the micro card is only fairly new ,but the card reader i got on ebay was getting on a bit so i binned that and got a new reader.I also updated VLC but still get this dam error.Just to get this straight i take video then take card from cam then add to reader ,then open file and save videos to a folder ,then play ,is this right.Yer i agree Master thimk ill give quickytime a big miss ,never had a problem before with vlc.Just a question how do i run a checkdisk over it please .How the hell does a file get corupt going from cam to card reader .Beats Me. Ok worked out how to run chkdisk no problems there

some people worry bout the splinter in an others eye and forget about the log in there own

Cooler Master Cosmos SE case, ,Corsair HX 650 w ,Corsair H 100i Cooler , ,ASUS MG279Q 27inch WQHD IPS FreeSync Monitor

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

Can you play the videos IN the camera?

#8 redrob

redrob

Master

• Atomican
  • 812 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

No ,I cant play em through the cam its lucky they weren't important....I have deleted them now so ill format the card and start from scratch.Is it important to format the card everytime its full or can i just delete the files from the card after i have copied them to my desktop.

#9 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

quick for mat is always better. I suggest testing your camera, and seeing if it can use a better format than Fat. SOME cameras can do NTFS, but most can do ExFAT. In all honesty, if multiple files got corrupted, it COULD be the cheap reader; but its likely the card is toast. Run some tests and find out.

#10 redrob

redrob

Master

• Atomican
  • 812 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

Hmm what tests do you recommend ,how the hell do i know what formats my cam uses ,it came from H.K. and has limited instructions.any ideas. Just a question for ya please ,how do i post my rig below my sig please.

#11 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

Basically put the card in a PC, format it to a file type (say, NTFS, FAT, FAT32, ExFAT), and then put it in the camera. See if it works.

Also, if your photos are usually quite large (AND you get stuck using FAT32), use at least 32KB clusters (I use 64KB). The complexity of the File Allocation table is so much less with larger clusters.

As for checks, http://www.netbookfr...eadwrite-errors
I'd fill the card and verify TWICE to be sure its not buggered. ANY failure, and its hammer time. Literally.

#12 redrob

redrob

Master

• Atomican
  • 812 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

k cool thanks for your help again.Cheers

#13 redrob

redrob

Master

• Atomican
  • 812 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

its fat 32 i went to properties and found it ,can this be changed to ntfs

#14 redrob

redrob

Master

• Atomican
  • 812 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

can i format it in ntfs ,or will that stuf it ,i rean the tests with a full card and no errors. if your photos are usually quite large (AND you get stuck using FAT32), use at least 32KB clusters (I use 64KB). The complexity of the File Allocation table is so much less with larger clusters. I have completely no clue to what you mean ,can you please explain ,as i am slightly retarded please.

#15 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

yeah you can format to WHATEVER you like, but the camera needs to be able to write to it. Try NTFS, and if the camera says 'no card' then reformat to ExFAT, if it still says no, FAT32. Just if you're left with FAT32 make them 32KB clusters. Because china dont give a shit, you might get NTFS or ExFAT support where 'big brands' dont. Worth a try, and no harm done.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 08 September 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#16 redrob

redrob

Master

• Atomican
  • 812 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

Ok thanks again.another lame question for you how do i make the clusters 32kbt please

#17 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

its an option on the format screen when you right click the card.

#18 redrob

redrob

Master

• Atomican
  • 812 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

Thanks again master_Scythe OK got that sussed out now ,just got to fill the card up again to see if it recognizes the ntfs format.Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users