• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 fajw

fajw

Useless waste of 0s and 1s

• Banned
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

I don't want to use Windows or Mac OS on my PC and I want something secure and functional. I don't really play games so that is not much of an issue. Mainly I use my PC for communication. I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

#2 discoInferno

discoInferno

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

This isn't really a recommendation, as until a few hours ago I knew nothing about Linux versions, however I've only just this afternoon installed Lubuntu 13.04 onto an old Atom netbook to try and squeeze some more life out of it, and so far it is amazingly faster. The internet tells me it's about the lightest Ubuntu based build available (using 100MB RAM sitting on the desktop), it's got a pretty familiar GUI if you're used to Windows like me, was easy to install, and it comes packaged with everything you need to get started, including Pidgin for communication and Chromium for the net.

It's certainly basic, but for my needs it seems great so far, and if you're only using it for communication, it might be all that you need.

http://lubuntu.net/
Intel Core i5 3570K | NZXT Havik 140 | Asus P8Z77-M Pro | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL | Asus GTX670 DCU2 | Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD | Hitachi Deskstar 2TB HDD | Corsair AX-650 | Silverstone FT03B | Lite-On DL-4ETS Slot Load Slim Blu-ray | Apple Aluminium Keyboard | Logitech G5 | Dell U2412M

#3 p0is0n

p0is0n

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:38 AM

I like crunchbang linux which is openbox on top of debian, running it on my eeepc - for you thought i would suggest something like linux mint or ubuntu, both pretty user friendly. do you have any pre-requisites other than not windows or mac?
i7 2600k | Z68A-GD80 | 8GB RAM | CF 7970 | 120GB SSD | 1kW PSU | Butchered Case | Water Cooling | U2713H HP N40L | 16GB RAM | 7x WD 2TB | Ubuntu | ZFS

#4 noskcaj

noskcaj

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:18 AM

ubuntu, lubuntu or xubuntu, version 12.04.3
I am an Ubuntu developer, send me a PM if you would like to join the ubuntu team or have a question

#5 fajw

fajw

• Banned
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:58 AM

Thanks for the replies. Richard Stallman told me to not use Ubuntu because of adware/spyware.

Edited by fajw, 09 September 2013 - 06:59 AM.

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,794 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

not true. There is one piece of spyware (that word is only technically correct, not in the way we'd normally use the word, meaning personal data theft), and that is a tool that searches amazon when you use the search tool; just remove it. Its spyware because Amazon gets a search from your IP. Ubuntu Lubuntu, or my favorite Xubuntu, will get you both the most online support, an easy to use interface, and the widest range of software.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#7 fajw

fajw

• Banned
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

What's the advantage of using 12.04.3 over using the latest?

Edited by fajw, 09 September 2013 - 10:55 AM.

#8 noskcaj

noskcaj

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

What's the advantage of using 12.04.3 over using the latest?

It's the latest LTS or "super stable" release. .3 came out last month

Lubuntu doesn't have an LTS yet, if you use it use 13.04. (If it's a mac, use the in-developement 13.10)

Edited by noskcaj, 09 September 2013 - 11:21 AM.

I am an Ubuntu developer, send me a PM if you would like to join the ubuntu team or have a question

#9 CptnChrysler

CptnChrysler

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

Linux Mint is also well worth a look for a new Linux user. If you need the multimedia working out of the box it might be just what you need. As for Ubuntu 12.04.3, it's is a Long Term Release if I'm not mistaken. Much longer official support.
Everyone's entitled to my opinion! I've got the T-Shirt to prove it.

#10 discoInferno

discoInferno

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

I like crunchbang linux which is openbox on top of debian, running it on my eeepc - for you thought i would suggest something like linux mint or ubuntu, both pretty user friendly.
do you have any pre-requisites other than not windows or mac?

Crunchbang looks interesting and very light. What's the installation process like? Lubuntu was as easy or easier than any Windows install I've done.
Intel Core i5 3570K | NZXT Havik 140 | Asus P8Z77-M Pro | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL | Asus GTX670 DCU2 | Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD | Hitachi Deskstar 2TB HDD | Corsair AX-650 | Silverstone FT03B | Lite-On DL-4ETS Slot Load Slim Blu-ray | Apple Aluminium Keyboard | Logitech G5 | Dell U2412M

#11 p0is0n

p0is0n

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Richard Stallman told me to not use Ubuntu because of adware/spyware.

if you're talking with Richard Stallman maybe ask him what he would recommend while you're at it?

I like crunchbang linux which is openbox on top of debian, running it on my eeepc - for you thought i would suggest something like linux mint or ubuntu, both pretty user friendly.
do you have any pre-requisites other than not windows or mac?

Crunchbang looks interesting and very light. What's the installation process like? Lubuntu was as easy or easier than any Windows install I've done.

its debian based like ubuntu, will be almost identical process. i like it because i don't have to use the touchpad to do anything, and it's quick to boot and snappy even on a netbook.
takes about 5 mins to install from usb. i prefer it to lubuntu which is a bit bland.

it's also extremely customisable\tweakable.

edit: should also mention steam works fine on crunchbang, was playing FTL on my eeepc before, had to workaround not meeting the minimum res (im limited to 1024x600 and it needs 1280x720) but you can do it on linux, not on windows ;)
I have some custom config files for conky and tint2 if you want to give it a go, feel free to pm me so we don't derail this further.

Edited by p0is0n, 10 September 2013 - 12:20 AM.

i7 2600k | Z68A-GD80 | 8GB RAM | CF 7970 | 120GB SSD | 1kW PSU | Butchered Case | Water Cooling | U2713H HP N40L | 16GB RAM | 7x WD 2TB | Ubuntu | ZFS

#12 Sir_Substance

Sir_Substance

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,747 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

Have you considered using freeBSD? If your PC contains hardware that requires proprietary drivers (like most dell machines, for example), then I suggest you save yourself the hassle and use ubuntu. I've not known any other open source OS to deal well with such devices. If your PC does not contain such hardware, my experience is that freeBSD is considerably less likely to eat itself and require reinstallation on a regular basis that any linux distribution.

Edited by Sir_Substance, 16 September 2013 - 12:51 PM.

Kablez- You can only beat a brick wall with so many sticks until... you wasted all your time collecting and breaking sticks against a wall... Tantryl- Knowledge is the new power, but will never provide a stable baseload as cost effective as burning puppies. mm80x: I allege that Sir substance must be from the internet

#13 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:20 PM

Richard Stallman is a nutjob.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#14 noskcaj

noskcaj

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

Have you considered using freeBSD?

If your PC contains hardware that requires proprietary drivers (like most dell machines, for example), then I suggest you save yourself the hassle and use ubuntu. I've not known any other open source OS to deal well with such devices.

If your PC does not contain such hardware, my experience is that freeBSD is considerably less likely to eat itself and require reinstallation on a regular basis that any linux distribution.

+1, although expect to have a "learning experience" if you need a driver on BSD.

Richard Stallman is a nutjob.

+1

#15 fajw

fajw

• Banned
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

What are the nutty parts of what he says?

#16 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:00 PM

http://www.escapistm...Linux-Unethical

He's basically the open source movement's equivalent of Fred Phelps.

He omits that there's one fundamental freedom that closed-source software can never deny you, your freedom to not use it.
四時半を待っています!

#17 SledgY

SledgY

Master

• Atomican
  • 917 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

Richard Stallman started the GNU project that provided all the fundamental parts required to create GNU/Linux (userland tools, compiler, editor). The article linked above basically reports that he disagrees with the bringing of DRM encumbered proprietary software to an operating system that was born out of a desire for all users to be free view, edit, modify and learn from the source code. How somebody who has stuck to their principals and undoubtedly provided a huge contribution to human kind through the GNU project can even be remotely compared to somebody who promotes the picketing to funerals and peddling of bigotry is just absurd. Weather you agree with his philosophy or not, the project he started has inspired and provided the platform for many many more, projects which are used by and affect million of people every day. To the op, if you are new to GNU/Linux one of the major projects (Ubuntu/Mint etc) would be a good start, there is a large and active user base and a lot of help and resources available.
poweredbypenguins.org - SledgY lives in the cloud...

#18 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

The article linked above basically reports that he disagrees with the bringing of DRM encumbered proprietary software to an operating system that was born out of a desire for all users to be free view, edit, modify and learn from the source code.

Not that he simply disagrees, but that he believes it's "unethical".

How somebody who has stuck to their principals and undoubtedly provided a huge contribution to human kind through the GNU project can even be remotely compared to somebody who promotes the picketing to funerals and peddling of bigotry is just absurd.

It's more that he refers to closed-source software as "unethical", in a similar way to how Fred Phelps refers to homosexuality as "immoral".

"It's not what I like, therefore it is objectively wrong!"

Edited by SquallStrife, 23 September 2013 - 07:27 PM.

四時半を待っています!

#19 Sir_Substance

Sir_Substance

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,747 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

I think it's probably a bit extreme to compare Stallman to Phelps, but when people say he's nutty, they aren't kidding. He's been known to eat dead skin off his feet while live on stage.

I think his issue is that he has been so apart from the way the rest of society functions for so long that he's forgotten that it's possible and sometimes (although not always) worthwhile to compromise. Steam on linux has popularized the platform significantly, and steamOS will be interesting to watch.

Not using credit cards or mobile phones, calling steam on linux unethical and eating things off his feet are all symptoms of a man who doesn't *quite* live in the same world as you or me. I have boundless respect for the guys work, integrity and force of will in holding the line, but he's definitely off his rocker.

Edited by Sir_Substance, 24 September 2013 - 12:24 PM.

Kablez- You can only beat a brick wall with so many sticks until... you wasted all your time collecting and breaking sticks against a wall... Tantryl- Knowledge is the new power, but will never provide a stable baseload as cost effective as burning puppies. mm80x: I allege that Sir substance must be from the internet

#20 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

I think it's probably a bit extreme to compare Stallman to Phelps, but when people say he's nutty, they aren't kidding. He's been known to eat dead skin off his feet while live on stage.

I think his issue is that he has been so apart from the way the rest of society functions for so long that he's forgotten that it's possible and sometimes (although not always) worthwhile to compromise. Steam on linux has popularized the platform significantly, and steamOS will be interesting to watch.

Not using credit cards or mobile phones, calling steam on linux unethical and eating things off his feet are all symptoms of a man who doesn't *quite* live in the same world as you or me. I have boundless respect for the guys work, integrity and force of will in holding the line, but he's definitely off his rocker.

That's what I was trying to get at. :)
四時半を待っています!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users