• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bowlen

bowlen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

Well, as predicted (and it would have been rather difficult to get this one wrong), Apple have released the iPhone 5s and the slightly less powerful (and certainly more colourful) iPhone 5c.

I don't see too much price difference between the two phones (about $100 for the base models), but personally, I would still get the 5s (being the better specced one).

The new cases look pretty cool, and the 5s ones work with the normal iPhone 5 as well, which is great as I've had to use those cheap asian cases which never fit perfectly.

iPhone 5s

and

iPhone 5c

iOS 7 is also set to be released on the 18th of this month, which will really be the 19th here in Australia.

Intel i7 3770k | Corsair 32GB Kit DDR3 | Vengeance C9 1600MHz | Samsung 250gb SSD | WD Caviar Green 3tb | WD Caviar Green 2tb | Seagate Barracuda 4tb | WD Black 2TB | AFOX GeForce GTX660 | TI ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty Professional LGA1155 ATX | Thermaltake Chaser A31 USB3.0 Black Mid Tower | Samsung 21.5" HD LED x 2 | Corsair AX860 860W 80PLUS

#2 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

Nice refinements on the 5S. Nothing I would consider a 'must have' feature, but it's a logical progression that I think will genuinely make a difference in daily use. NFC payments would have been awesome, hopefully they're coming later. I'm not sold on the colour changes at this point. In particular, gold seems to go against Ive/Ram's 'honesty in design' principle. The pricing model on the 5C seems off. It's one year old technology, with cheaper construction materials and methods, and it's going head to head with the likes of the Moto X. I'm wondering if it will be priced differently for China.

#3 thesorehead

thesorehead

Guru

• Atomican
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

Incremental update as expected, in accordance with Apple's established "tick-tock" pattern. The idea of a fingerprint reader is cool and all, but WTF Apple no NFC??
"Be Excellent to each other." - Bill and Ted Got my PS3 - now I need a 360 for teh gaems.

#4 Hlass

Hlass

Guru

• Hero
  • 14,838 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

Well that was a disapointing product launch. No fireworks just a couple of squibs.

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains

And the women come down to cut up what remains

Roll on your rifle, blow out your brains

And go to your God like a soldier.

#5 bowlen

bowlen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

It is only a mid cycle update through. Big updates are every 2 years!

Intel i7 3770k | Corsair 32GB Kit DDR3 | Vengeance C9 1600MHz | Samsung 250gb SSD | WD Caviar Green 3tb | WD Caviar Green 2tb | Seagate Barracuda 4tb | WD Black 2TB | AFOX GeForce GTX660 | TI ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty Professional LGA1155 ATX | Thermaltake Chaser A31 USB3.0 Black Mid Tower | Samsung 21.5" HD LED x 2 | Corsair AX860 860W 80PLUS

#6 Hlass

Hlass

Guru

• Hero
  • 14,838 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

or every six months! like the last iPad.

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains

And the women come down to cut up what remains

Roll on your rifle, blow out your brains

And go to your God like a soldier.

#7 8vm

8vm

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 129 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:25 PM

Nothing too exciting. They still need to push out an even cheaper phone to cover all the different markets. Finger print scanner? It will be interesting to see how well this works and how secure it will be. Apple claims the fingerprint data will be encrypted and stored locally. Whether this really is the case is another matter though.

#8 thesorehead

thesorehead

Guru

• Atomican
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

XP

But for srs, I hadn't thought about the NSA now connecting fingerprints alongside your face (FFC) and all the rest of your personal comms. Faaaaark.
"Be Excellent to each other." - Bill and Ted Got my PS3 - now I need a 360 for teh gaems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users