• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,482 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

Players at present expressing interest: Poison Master Scythe PWarren Da-Craw (<- willing to give up position for a noob as he's played before) If people are still interested STILL POST! There is room. I can adapt and change things around. Trust me on this. In mid October, I will send a PM out. This will be the organization phase. We should be gaming by mid-late October. It will take a little longer as I'm guessing we will have to sit down and discuss character concepts. Party builds. So on. ---------------------------------------------- OK.. I've done a few games online before. I've run it by doing a google-hangout with Map-tools. I then had a major hiatus. I got depression and things sucked and I couldn't create the adventure. BUT I LOVED DOING IT! So it's time. I want a party. I want to do a D&D game. I'll run it via Google Hangout. (spectators allowed of course.. Heckle. Cheer. Jeer). I'm going to run a 'modernized' classic. "White Plume Mountain". This was written by Gary Gygax. The 'godfather' of D&D. The modernization will be done by me. The requirements: Google+ account. ----------------------------------------- I'll do the rest. I won't insist on maptools. It was handy for gaming, but for new people it maybe too much. The combat and adventure will be narrative. Dice rolls will be done via website. If you don't understand character creation, I'll create one for you. If you want to create your own, I'll assist. --------------------------------------------- Here's what I want: 4 - 6 players. Preference given to newbies who want to learn. Preference is given to 4 players. But if 1 - 2 people insist that they MUST play because they want to know, I'll adapt it to you. It will be played under D&D 3.5 rules. (Don't worry. You won't need books/charts or whatever. I'll explain it all) Here's what I insist: D&D 4th ed DOES NOT EXIST! It is an abomination. You will be shunned. ----------------------------------------- I thought about putting this in gaming. But I want this to be a community thing. It's an event. ALL will be invited to watch. (If mods disagree, and feel this belongs in Gaming.. So be it. But I want Atomic Community which is why I put it here. It's a gathering. Just online) Who wants to learn the wonders of D&D? BTW... First in, first served. IF any other member who has played before and wants to chip in about this, do so. If anyone has played before with me as DM (Looking at a select crew) and wants to chip in, go for it. AD

Edited by AccessDenied, 22 September 2013 - 05:53 PM.

I can make my own woggle! Bet you can't woggle yours.

#2 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,799 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:20 PM

Man, I would love to give this a go, but I'm working on a shitty connection and though wifi. I very much doubt I can keep a hangout running reliably.

Word from a player of 15+ years to anyone taking this up: SERIOUSLY consider taking a Human Warlock. Really.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#3 Sir_Substance

Sir_Substance

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,747 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

I'm interested, depends what night it's being run on and so forth. Depending on what tools you plan to use I may also choose to not take part to avoid making accounts with entities I consider untrustworthy. I'll need to know more details!
Kablez- You can only beat a brick wall with so many sticks until... you wasted all your time collecting and breaking sticks against a wall... Tantryl- Knowledge is the new power, but will never provide a stable baseload as cost effective as burning puppies. mm80x: I allege that Sir substance must be from the internet

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,926 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

interested Pending dates.
Ive played 2 games of 4th ed, never played 3.5.

I will warn, if I play the character I like to, cover your loopholes.

My last character is logical to a fault, and a 'greater good' type of fella.
We had a pub owner ask us to kill a necromancer, but the whole town said no, he's fine, please just leave.

Player knowledge? Its an obvious quest hook.
Character knowledge? The town is armed, asking me to leave, after one dude asked me to do something. He's the odd one out, off I go, leaving.

unrelated, but.....
I cannot stress this enough, just CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH! Watch "The Gamers: Dorkness Rising" by the Dead Gentlemen its truly amazing intermediate cinema. You can watch the first 'gamers' first, but its nowhere near as good, and I dont think you miss anything. Its also free to distribute and share all their work, so you can download it\torrent it; but do donate. They're bloody gods.
If you'd like a taste of their humor, watch Journey Quest on youtube, for an episodic adventure.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 Juggs

Juggs

Master

• Atomican
  • 859 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

AD isn't afraid to slap you down if you're being a dick. He'll turn your character to paste, should you try and play funny buggers.
Keep wishing you were me, and I'll keep making you have to.

#6 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,482 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

How many rounds did your sorceror last juggs? I can rules lawyer too. However, it's for beginners. The books will be limited. If you get warlock, so do I, and I'm awesome at munchkin them. my last warlock played did 18d6 damage with the option of going 24d6. For New people, this means I roll a6 sided dice 24 times. It was a guarantee hit and no resistance against. This is close to godlike in d&d. especially for level 10. critical (double damage) was impressive. However, I play for story. Not for party kills. and if Hector plays, it would be funny. The dice hated him. I think he made it through one, maybe 2 combat concious. The rest, always taken down. Sometimes by friendly fire. dates are discussable. It will be based on Australian Eastern times. AD Oh. and sir substance. Google + account. That's it. If we use tools it will be map tools. I host my own server. You don't Sign up. I issue you a username and password. No emails required or requested. Hope that puts your mind at ease. AD

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,926 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

AD isn't afraid to slap you down if you're being a dick. He'll turn your character to paste, should you try and play funny buggers.

He wasn't being a dick. He was neutral, and not a paladin, so honestly? I saw no problem with him messing with corpses if thats what he's into (but we hadnt seen any).
The town insisted he was welcome, and only one barman said kill him. Sounded like a personal vendetta.
Also, on top of that, it was a "I dont have much gold to offer, but please" type request.

So....
Personal hitman?
Not much reward (assassins aint cheap)
Being forcibly removed from this town by the villagers
Havent actually SEEN any undead.
Not sure my character would care much, if I did.

I had plenty of reasons to leave. He voiced this to the party, majority vote agreed, and we left.
Meanwhile the DM is completely stuck, because he had backup plans for paths during the quest, but he didn't think we'd completely walk away from the quest hook.

The DM was new, and aimed for that "please help us, only I know the truth" type quest.

But he kinda forgot to put any reason to trust the dude in, and any real reward or incentive.... despite it being our first ever game, and in 4th ed, I dont think he expected us all to understand the difference between player knowledge and character knowledge.
I knew what he wanted, my character didnt :P

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#8 Sir_Substance

Sir_Substance

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,747 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

Google + account.

I'm out then, I'm afraid. I stay away from social media sites :)
Kablez- You can only beat a brick wall with so many sticks until... you wasted all your time collecting and breaking sticks against a wall... Tantryl- Knowledge is the new power, but will never provide a stable baseload as cost effective as burning puppies. mm80x: I allege that Sir substance must be from the internet

#9 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,482 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

Yeah. Plot hooks can be difficult. You don't want to turn the adventure into a railroad (Defeats the purpose of "Role playing"). It would have probably worked if you heard 'dark mutterings about the village' whilst adventuring. Turn up. Noone knows anything, but distrusts the barman. Barman mentions he maybe able to help. Bam. Plothook which hopefully will entice. But. I'm going a pre-written adventure. Just cause. AD

#10 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,014 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:35 AM

Google + account.

I'm out then, I'm afraid. I stay away from social media sites :)

Think you can access it directly via gmail.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#11 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,799 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:15 AM

Think you can access it directly via gmail.

All one and the same these days.

#12 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,926 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

Sir_Substance, I dont trust them anymore than you do, but use fake details and do it through a free open proxy and you'll be golden. Though considering you're one step more paranoid than I am, I assume you have a VPN :)

#13 Sir_Substance

Sir_Substance

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,747 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

Sir_Substance, I dont trust them anymore than you do, but use fake details and do it through a free open proxy and you'll be golden.
Though considering you're one step more paranoid than I am, I assume you have a VPN :)

I prefer to stay well clear, sorry.

Not intended as a judgment on or an insult to anyone here, just a general life policy thing.

#14 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,482 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

If you are on Gmail and not Google+ you can only do 1-on-1 Hangouts. Not group. Need a Google+ account to do more. At the end of the day, I don't think there are any viable options that'd work with what Sir Substance wants. I need to be able to share screens and the like. Hangouts allows me to do it. Skype and things like that don't. It's just how it is. Perhaps Sir Substance can find someone locally who could run a game face-to-face. (or perhaps he could find a noob that wants to play, and go to their house when we run this game and share his G+ account. I can handle 2 people on 1-screen hangout session) AD

#15 p0is0n

p0is0n

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

I'd be pretty keen, but will depend on what times we're talking as im in WA, used to play 3rd ed as a kid, but we didn't know any good GMs so it always kinda sucked.
i7 2600k | Z68A-GD80 | 8GB RAM | CF 7970 | 120GB SSD | 1kW PSU | Butchered Case | Water Cooling | U2713H HP N40L | 16GB RAM | 7x WD 2TB | Ubuntu | ZFS

#16 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,482 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

My son is not 'settled' (In bed and not asking for kisses/cuddles/drinks of water etc) until about 8:30pm (About 6:30 WA). If we call it a 9m AEDT/AEDST start, with a 90 minute session. (10:30pm finish) that'll be 7 - 8:30 WA. Would that kind of work? AD

#17 p0is0n

p0is0n

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:20 AM

My son is not 'settled' (In bed and not asking for kisses/cuddles/drinks of water etc) until about 8:30pm (About 6:30 WA). If we call it a 9m AEDT/AEDST start, with a 90 minute session. (10:30pm finish) that'll be 7 - 8:30 WA.

Would that kind of work?

AD

should be fine for me, so consider me quite interested, cheers :)
i7 2600k | Z68A-GD80 | 8GB RAM | CF 7970 | 120GB SSD | 1kW PSU | Butchered Case | Water Cooling | U2713H HP N40L | 16GB RAM | 7x WD 2TB | Ubuntu | ZFS

#18 DaCraw

DaCraw

Master

• Atomican
  • 599 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:04 AM

I'd be up for it, but I was in your last game and had played before that so I wouldn't want to take the place from someone who has yet to be introduced to D&D. Count me in if you need a 4th player. I'd probably play a support/social bard, so I could easily fit into a 5th slot without upsetting the balance TOO much.
Avatar adapted from www.xkcd.com

#19 pwarren

pwarren

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

Well, I know almost nothing about D&D and would like to learn, definitely keen to join in AD! I'll read up about character creation, and any sites you guys recommend, but happy to play a pre-canned one.
++++++++++[>++++++++>+++++++++>++++++++++>+++>+++++++++++>++++>+<<<<<<<-]>++++.>+++++++.>+++++++.------.>++.<<.>>.<-.>>+++++++.<<+++++++++.>>-----.>++++.<<.<-------.-..+++++++.>.<<+.>-------.>>++++..<<.>>--.>>.

#20 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,799 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

First and foremost: http://www.d20srd.org/
That's your goto site for the majority of rules.

Second up: http://pcgen.org/aut...docs/index.html
This is a free, open source character builder. There are things it won't do, so you might come up with a build that you can't make with the generator that you can on paper, but overall this thing will save you a lot of headscratching.

Thirdly: http://dndtools.eu/
This is a reference resource, so it's got a large overlap with the first one, but unlike that one this is organised by skill and feat rather than by book. If you have heard about something you want to be able to do, but can't find the rule for it, this is a great thing to have on hand.

And fourth: http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1008946
This one is a tap into the D&D community optimisation forum. ie: How to push the rules to breaking point. ANYTHING YOU GET FROM HERE YOU HAVE TO RUN PAST AD FIRST! Even if he chooses to be really generous with his rulings (and I don't think I'd count on that if I were you), there is shit in here which is just plain broken - most GMs will outright ban some of the suggested builds in here! The only reason I include it is that it might give you some clues on how to heterodyne some abilities that you hadn't thought of, and thus get a better build.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users