• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:24 AM

Now I'm not wanting to start a rant on Adobe here but had some questions which the Adobe site doesn't seem to cover at least with a cursory glance. (There are a few more Adobe forum answers that replicate these questions than there were when I started this list of questions).

Does anybody here use the CC?

now answered as I do, but maybe not many others. (TB).

Background: I'm (or now 'was') a PS5 user but that's installed on my PC at home (half a World away) and I bought Lightroom to manage my portable's collection of photos before they get transferred to the main desktop. I ended up having to upgrade to Lightroom 4 to get the raw editor that allowed me to import my Nikon D800 files (I have the 'E' version but the files are the same). That was fine until I went away for awhile and used Lightroom to manage all my photographs as I take them and transfer them to my laptop. Before I left home I installed PS5 onto the laptop so that I would have the ability to do reasonably significant editing, merging and focus stacks as well as the normal LR4 workflow with most of the colour adjustment happening in LR4 as I became more used to the programme (I had previously done most of the colour tuning etc in Bridge via Adobe Camera Raw).

Just recently I realised that when I open a RAW file in PS5 it starts in the Camera Raw Editor as usual but it asks to reorganise the colour adjustments back to Process 2010 from the Process 2012 adjustments made in LR4.4 (uses CR7.4 whereas PS5v12 uses CR6.7). Now to get CR7 (or even 8) in PS I need to upgrade to PS6 (at least) and at which point they introduced the Creative Cloud...

I'm not that interested in upgrading to PS6 only to find myself upgrading further to PS.CC (which I assume is the renamed PS7) in the near future (ie within a year). However PS.CC is a subscription based service. I looked further into the pricing and for once the Australian pricing seems to be more reasonable than elsewhere and very similar to US (despite the recent fall in the A$). At A$20 per month per programme it's probably cheaper than upgrading every 18 months which seems to be my history. However, they also do a A$50pm all programmes offer which suggests that if you go for PS AND LR on the cloud then you are up for a minimum $40pm and for $10 more you get access to ALL of the programmes in the CC, seems like a reasonable deal. For example it would include access to Illustrator, Acrobat, Flash...

Now to the questions?

Was my reasoning on the CC correct ie does the $50pm subscription get you all the programmes?

Yes, it does and occasionally they do special pricing (I'm currently on a A$30pm for everything pricing for 12m)  

The trouble is $600 a year is just above the threshold of pain, whereas $240 is manageable. Do I need a subscription for LR and PS or do I get LR with PS?

Well I answered this one by going for the lot on a 12m special price - about to need to make up my mind though as the 12m runs out soon.

then the more basic ones...

Do I really need LR in the cloud anyway?

Probably not

Do I need to go beyond PS6?

unless you need the new abilities the answer is probably no.  Also PS6 seems to have everything I use now anyway.

Will they continue to produce upgrades to LR as a standalone product or again force users into the Cloud?

Now that is a good question - I suspect not.

should I be happy where I am and do all my colour work in LR and print from there and lose the ability to photo merge?

Well I wasn't so went for the CC trial.

or is there a part of LR4 that I haven't found yet that would allow me to forget PSx?

No, some things you can't do in LR.

Another series of questions relates to the workings of the CC programmes. Do I end up with a copy of the programme/s on the various PCs I work with?

Yes,

When I run the programmes do they check on the web each time they are started for validation purposes?  A problem given this portable is often off the web when I download pictures from my camera.  This is also a problem in that I am often in areas where access is slow and tedious, for example at the moment I'm restricted to web access through a 3G modem in rural France and due to the cost of wireless access I tend to run off-line as much as possible.

No, they don't but they do check every so often.  Could be a problem if you are away from the web for long periods or spend your time on a PC that is never connected for security issues.  I also upgraded my I-net connection to a full on ADSL lne with free phone and free international fixed line calls

Are the programmes actually stored on the web with most used libraries stored on the PC?

stored on the PC.

Can I also run the CC from any PC I have access to?

it seems so although there may be a limit to the number of PCs in use.

is there anybody out there with the answers I seek?

Maybe not, although they are now mostly answered.

Edited by MandoTiM, 15 October 2014 - 01:00 AM.

Stupidity is a condition, ignorance is a choice, don't make it... MandoTiM Asus P6T, Intel i-7 920, 24Gb mem, 3 Tb storage (after mirroring), silent Geforce 9600, Asus HD 5450 Silent, RME Multiface, NEC 27inch screen wide gamut, PS5 and Cubase 6 under Windows 7.

#2 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#3 Charcoal

Charcoal

Guru

• Hero
  • 14,088 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:13 AM

I'm not sure about all those questions and honestly I didn't read all the post, but I know of a CC version that might be right up your alley.

It's Photoshop CC & Lightroom 5 for $9.99/month.
https://creative.ado...455871624-67123

Good luck!
I<3G
Kikz: Good for you, your sig says something. whoop-de-do dude.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
AzpUvwG.png@Charcoal|

#4 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

I'm not sure about all those questions and honestly I didn't read all the post, but I know of a CC version that might be right up your alley.

It's Photoshop CC & Lightroom 5 for $9.99/month.
https://creative.ado...455871624-67123

Good luck!

Thanks, my wandering around the Adobe Australia website hadn't exposed that offer, strange. It may well solve one issue but still leaves some of the more technical questions unanswered, the most important one being does one have to be connected to the I-net when one runs the programmes?
Stupidity is a condition, ignorance is a choice, don't make it... MandoTiM Asus P6T, Intel i-7 920, 24Gb mem, 3 Tb storage (after mirroring), silent Geforce 9600, Asus HD 5450 Silent, RME Multiface, NEC 27inch screen wide gamut, PS5 and Cubase 6 under Windows 7.

#5 strifus

strifus

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:15 PM

I didnt want to post this on a new thread just because of this question, so I am bring it up here.  2 questions I have.

1)  Does anyone know where I can get the latest standalone Lightroom which isnt an Academic version.  And how does the academic version differ from the real version.

2)  Is there another piece of software that is similar to Lightroom 5??

Thanks in advance.

Intel Core i7 3930K, Gigabyte x79-UD5, 16GB Corsair Vengence RAM, EVGA 670GTX, 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, 3 x 1TB Hitachi HDD, LG BD-DVD Optical Drive, Corsair TX 750 PSU, CoolerMaster Hyper 412s HSF, CoolerMaster Cosmos II Tower.

#6 stadl

stadl

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 9,018 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:09 PM

I didnt want to post this on a new thread just because of this question, so I am bring it up here.  2 questions I have.

1)  Does anyone know where I can get the latest standalone Lightroom which isnt an Academic version.  And how does the academic version differ from the real version.

2)  Is there another piece of software that is similar to Lightroom 5??

Thanks in advance.

estore.com.au sell the box version and the download standalone, and I think B&H in the US will still ship a box here (I have bought all my box versions through them, CS5.5 production premium, LR4, and LR5 upgrade - I'm 'in the US' as far as adobe is concerned - but my IP is not so I can't buy upgrades at sensible prices from the Adobe website)

I would never go for the CC version of lightroom because I have heard of people with people being on holidays away for the net when their CC software decided to do its monthly validation check and locked them out until they could find an internet connection. For PS I'd be ok with the CC version, I don't do that level of work on the road, but I like that I have LR on my laptop (actually, it came with a licensed copy of LR5 preinstalled so I have 2 copies for 2 machines).

A device so simple that it took a mind as brilliant as mine to create it! So brilliant, in fact, that simply by harnessing the power of one live frog, it... it... uhh... <poke> <poke> ... World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Talk amongst yourselves.

#7 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:39 AM

Apparently CC isn't supposed to 'lock you out' if you spend lengthy periods away from the internet but then given Adobe's history I'm not sure I'd believe them.  I spend much time away from my prime site but am usually on the net quite regularly.  This use of the CC is also quite a positive being able to run both on a portable when away and the main machine when I am back at home.

Photoshop 2014 version 1 proved to be a can of worms but one advantage of the CC is that you can reload older versions at any point, so if you find a problem/bug with no solution it is possible to go backwards until it is fixed in the more recent release.  This happened recently with Panoramas and focus stacks (in PS 2014) where the software was incorrectly stacking images and it took several weeks for them to fix it.  It now works ok, I can vouch for that.  There was one post that detailed the problem but Adobe, in their wisdom, failed to come clean and let users know of the problem. 

I've now been using the CC version of PS, LR, Dreamweaver and Acrobat and must admit even at the likely full cost of the monthly rental it is probably worth it for these 4 programmes although I would have to admit I was getting a little peeved over the Panorama issue.  I now regularly use DW to update my overseas blog (http://tbarker.org) and PS and LR to control the photographic side of it.  Acrobat is just a damn useful package albeit there are many cheaper alternatives but if Im going to keep using PS, LR and DW then I might just as well use Acrobat and any of the other suite programmes if I nee them.  Personally I would be happy to see Adobe create a sub-set of the CC just for photographics, though.

Outside of the Panorama issue I think I've answered all of the questions I had on the first post of this thread by using it although this first post does look a little garbled at the moment - is this a problem with the recent change to the way the forums look?  Maybe I'll try to edit the post, reformat it and pop in the answers...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users