• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 NightOwl

NightOwl

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

I'm a bit surprised there's no thread on IOS7 as yet, so I may as well post one :) What do you all think ? Would appreciate constructive comment though .... For me .... I installed ios7 on ipad3 over wifi, not through iTunes. Not a single problem, other than two old apps no longer working, but as they have both long been unsupported and no longer available in the store, I guess now is the time to let go … (sniff). I like ios7. Yes, the look and feel is something to get used to, but it somehow makes my ipad 3 feel like a new toy again and the improved controls just seem to gel for me. It used to have the occasional problem with airplay, which has now disappeared…. very happy about that. Dont see any extra drain on battery either. Im not experiencing any lag during my normal use, but i do find the new window animations alot less subtle and a bit annoying at the moment. im sure it will pass. No problem at all with connectivity. Now that I know all my vital on-the-go apps work in ios7, I’ll update my mini as well. I'm told Ipad mini shines with IOS7, so I'm a bit excited ! Improvements to FaceTime and the addition of the control panel are brilliant. Anyone who likes audiobooks will love the improvement to the music app. If it had bookmarking, it would be the perfect audiobook app now. Not sure if its my imagination, but audio seems to sound a tad better too. Siri can do a lot more and I’m starting to quite like her/him/it. I really like the scrolling view for multitasking and app control. Feels like a more natural way to control apps. I don't really mind the new 'flat' design .... 3D icons don't make apps run faster or slower, so I don't care. The flat design within apps certainly gives it a cleaner, uncluttered look though. And finally …. anyone having trouble with third party apps in a new ios7 install should try deleting it, rebooting and then reinstalling it. Worked brilliantly for one of my apps not taking too kindly to the update. Credit where credit is due…. its good. I’m happy to recommend the update …. and no, I’m not on apples payroll :)
Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition No. 76

#2 bowlen

bowlen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

I very much like the new iOS 7! I can't quite understand why people wouldn't like it though. It is a refreshing new update which makes my phone feel like a brand new device! I have updated on my iPhone and iPad and haven't had an issue (both were done over WiFi). I really can't fault it at all! Pretty much everything they have brought into it, and everything they have updated, has been really good! It goes to show how amazing Jon Ivy is really! I would be interested in what they would do in a year when the next iPhone (6) comes out, and they release a new version of iOS...but for now, I am very happy with it! The whole 3d icon thing when you tilt the screen blew my mind too!

Intel i7 3770k | Corsair 32GB Kit DDR3 | Vengeance C9 1600MHz | Samsung 250gb SSD | WD Caviar Green 3tb | WD Caviar Green 2tb | Seagate Barracuda 4tb | WD Black 2TB | AFOX GeForce GTX660 | TI ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty Professional LGA1155 ATX | Thermaltake Chaser A31 USB3.0 Black Mid Tower | Samsung 21.5" HD LED x 2 | Corsair AX860 860W 80PLUS

#3 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:34 PM

They screwed the calendar app on the iPhone IMHO. Month in view without listing the actual things you have on on those days is a pain. The calendar app on the iPad is fine. Apart from that, I am finding it all pretty good.

Edited by The Tick, 23 September 2013 - 10:35 PM.

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

te0p:"Your a Unreal."

#4 Nan0_Seconds

Nan0_Seconds

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

It sucks all round but i'm getting there with it, only thing i like so far is that in the unlock screen, u can slide it up and u can use the torch... Which should of been there ages ago.

#5 bowlen

bowlen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

Interestingly enough, I am not able to view the iTunes Radio through my phone. It says to get to it, you just open the radio tab from the Music app, but there is no option for that :-S -EDIT- Oh, looks like you have to be in the US to get iTunes Radio at the moment

Edited by bowlen, 25 September 2013 - 09:33 AM.

Intel i7 3770k | Corsair 32GB Kit DDR3 | Vengeance C9 1600MHz | Samsung 250gb SSD | WD Caviar Green 3tb | WD Caviar Green 2tb | Seagate Barracuda 4tb | WD Black 2TB | AFOX GeForce GTX660 | TI ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty Professional LGA1155 ATX | Thermaltake Chaser A31 USB3.0 Black Mid Tower | Samsung 21.5" HD LED x 2 | Corsair AX860 860W 80PLUS

#6 Mac Dude

Mac Dude

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 36,447 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:24 PM

installed it on the ipad a week ago i guess. My gut reaction is a few cosmetic changes that really don't make it look any better :/ Initially I thought it was slower, but now I think it's no change on the performance front. I probably need to dig into it a bit more
Karl Kruszelnicki - No, I’m fully prepared to believe in the “Church of God the Utterly Indifferent who sets the universe going and says you’re on your own kids.

#7 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:30 PM

installed it on the ipad a week ago i guess. My gut reaction is a few cosmetic changes that really don't make it look any better :/

Initially I thought it was slower, but now I think it's no change on the performance front. I probably need to dig into it a bit more

I ran the update on my iPad 3rd Gen. I ended up doing the old backup and restore though as it was laggy. It's nice and quick again now.

Edited by The Tick, 27 September 2013 - 11:30 PM.

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

te0p:"Your a Unreal."

#8 NightOwl

NightOwl

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

After removing all the desktop motion components, I'm not noticing any lag on my 3rd gen. What apps display lag on your device ? I did initially think window opening and closing was slower, but its only the new style that makes it appear so. I do think the old 'fly from the centre' style was more streamlined than the now 'fly from the corner'. It looks equally awkward on the 4th gen and the mini.

Edited by NightOwl, 29 September 2013 - 06:01 PM.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition No. 76

#9 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,014 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

They screwed the calendar app on the iPhone IMHO. Month in view without listing the actual things you have on on those days is a pain. The calendar app on the iPad is fine.

Apart from that, I am finding it all pretty good.

+1, knowing something is coming up but not what is annoying.

Nice to see Apple integrating some things Android has had for a while.

Only two real dislikes apart from that: not a fan of the new window/task animations when opening/closing apps, and not a fan with how bright the new theme is overall.

My only concern is that a friend will pick up the phone while I'm not looking at set a bunch of alarms for 2am :<
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#10 bowlen

bowlen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

My only concern is that a friend will pick up the phone while I'm not looking at set a bunch of alarms for 2am :<

It would be cool if you could actually select what you want to have visible on the Control Centre from the lock screen (ie, disable alarm feature when accessing it from the lock screen).

Of course, you can always disable the Control Centre on the lock screen...

#11 bowlen

bowlen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

One thing I have noticed, is that when you usually set your phone to 'Manually Sync Music and Photos', so you can copy music from multiple computers / iTunes libraries, you can now no longer do it! I plugged the Mrs phone into her computer (it is synced to my pc), and it comes up as unticked, and you can't copy it accross, where on mine, it is ticked, which is weird...

#12 Mac Dude

Mac Dude

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 36,447 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

installed it on the ipad a week ago i guess. My gut reaction is a few cosmetic changes that really don't make it look any better :/

Initially I thought it was slower, but now I think it's no change on the performance front. I probably need to dig into it a bit more

I ran the update on my iPad 3rd Gen. I ended up doing the old backup and restore though as it was laggy. It's nice and quick again now.

Mine is a gen 2 I think.

I might try the backup & restore since it is definitely laggy in a couple of apps...
Karl Kruszelnicki - No, I’m fully prepared to believe in the “Church of God the Utterly Indifferent who sets the universe going and says you’re on your own kids.

#13 Takoma

Takoma

Titan

• Hero
  • 23,385 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

I'm feeling it. Loving control centre.
things

#14 nobody813

nobody813

Champion

• Atomican
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Haven't tried it on my iPhone 4 yet. Unsure how well it'll "perform"

"Nobody, including Nobody, knows what Nobody is doing..." - millen

Intel Core i5 4670K | ASRock Z97 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill Ares DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB | Cogage Arrow | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo | 2TB & 1TB Seagate 7200.14's | Corsair RM650i | Fractal Design Arc Midi

#15 st8smn

st8smn

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

Haven't tried it on my iPhone 4 yet. Unsure how well it'll "perform"

Its not too bad but damn it chews more battery.

I wish for a world where a chicken can cross the road without having its motives questioned.

#16 NightOwl

NightOwl

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

If you have Background App Refresh enabled in your settings, it will eat through battery life. Turning off the fluff desktop animations may make a difference as well. Nice little update ... 7.0.3. Among other things, that awful window zooming on app start and close can now be disabled. Everything feels nice and snappy again. Can't imagine why anyone would think the zooming was a good idea in the first place.

Edited by NightOwl, 26 October 2013 - 06:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users